5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and Instructive, Aug. 6 2003
This review is from: Selected Sermons, Prayers, and Devotions (Paperback)
Reverent of, obedient to, and profoundly in love with God-this is what Cardinal Newman is all about, and this is how he encourages us to live. His sermons may be instructive, admonishing, or inspirational, but are always enlightening, challenging, and reasoned. He has a remarkable ability to interpret God's Word in ways that hit home to everyday people. He conveys the sense of urgency with which we must turn from sin, yet understands our nature enough to know it takes time and enormous patience. Well worth reading!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oasis In The World of Materialism And Knowledge, July 3 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Selected Sermons, Prayers, and Devotions (Paperback)
In this world of Knowledge and the propensity to believe in things are reasoned by Sciences, this book prods us, that the ultimate is still GOD. I for one, has fallen out a number of times, with an ardent attempt at things secular, despite my inner cravings for a deeper faith in God. This book sets out reminding me of my corporal life and all that surrounds me is nothing, but temporal. It is a rare find, given my recent yearning to return as a prodigal son and my inner inclination to detach all materialism and let it take a back seat. Despite the classic prose as expected of an author who lived more than 100 years ago, I understood his writing thoroughly, although I am not an European nor an American. This, indeed is an oasis of a find for answers from the Word Made Flesh, and is dwelling amongst us. In short, "go get it, all you who wants rest, for His Yoke is light and easy."

By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this., May 21 2000
This review is from: Selected Sermons, Prayers, and Devotions (Paperback)
The back cover notes that Vintage Spiritual Classics are "[f]illed with eloquence and fresh insight, encouragement and solace." Two out of four ain't bad (and the other two are here too, if harder to reach).
Newman is certainly eloquent, though I might have described his prose as "stately" instead; he is rarely so eloquent here as to be hard to follow. Fresh insights are here too, and 160 years have not made them stale.
But this book is not the "easy reading spirituality" one might expect from a book whose cover says it's filled with encouragement and solace. Newman is in the reader's face and at the conscience from the beginning.
His "Plain and Parochial" sermons are challenges to lead a truly Christian life. It's hard to believe people filled an Oxford Church to hear these--perhaps people were made of sterner stuff then.
Yet there is solace and encouragement to be found. Newman was no ogre, but a caring man. He said what should be said, caring about the souls of those who would hear (and read) it.
And as a bonus, the book closes with one of my favorite prayers.

ARRAY(0x10803e7c)

Selected Sermons, Prayers, and Devotions
Selected Sermons, Prayers, and Devotions by John Henry Newman (Paperback - May 18 1999)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57