summer boutiques-francophones snsflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on March 9, 2001
I had no problem with the term Tightwad, and there were some good ideas, but some bordered on ridiculous. Dumpster Diving, IMHO, is NOT the way I want to get canned veggies or pet food. I am also not planning to remodel my house with items scrounged from the local dump area. And I could imagine the reaction I'd get if I asked my neighbors to all send in our gas bills in the same envelope so we could save .34 postage. If you have a hard time putting food on your table (then how could you afford to browse Amazon, online, looking to buy a book?) this would be your book. But if you are looking for ways to save money and cut wasteful spending, I'd suggest Miserly Moms before this.
on February 19, 2003
It seems as if the author is obssessed with saving every penny and some of it is completely ridiculous. Dumpster diving? That's just gross, there's a fine balance between wanting to live well and going too far with money. I don't really care if it "helps the environment", I care about the environment but I'll only go so far. It's like she makes the reader feel guilty if they want to buy something new, and I do feel sorry for her kids. This seems like a book for the lower middle class, and the working class, and there's nothing wrong with that. While I'm not rich myself, I believe that she is going too far. Some ideas are quite good but others are just ridiculous. It's just not the way to live. Some people are obssessed with making enough money, others like her are obssessed with saving every penny. And while I think that its good to be financially stable, there should be a balance and the author has failed to find it. A better book would be, "Money, Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn."
on March 12, 2004
As much as I'd like to not have to work, I'd rather work then spend my day cooking from scratch (I hate cooking!), rewashing baggies or shopping at thrift stores for deals. I only got a quarter way through this book, but I didn't find it helpful to me. The only thing I agreed about was the price diary, which I knew about before. I also didn't like that she seemed to put down people who wouldn't do these things, like we're a bunch of fools for buying new baggies or pre-packaged convience food.
I'm sure her ideas work if you're willing to put in the time and effort, but they just aren't for me.
on June 4, 2000
I thought this book would help save me money but it just made me glad that i'm not as cheap has mizz Dacyczyn.She comes across as a know it all and has very strange ideas on bringing up children who have to work for a twenty five cent snack.Also some information is repeated.Buy if you want a laugh.
on July 11, 2002
I really did not like this book.I got sick of reading about the farmhouse and barn (you only have to mention it once).I don't know why she had six children if she can't feed them,maybe she had them to fill up her barn.I agree with another reviewer who said she is giving her kids the idea that they are not worth it.It's ok for kids to have second hand clothes and toys but it's also nice for them to have new stuff to (she could buy things in the sales).She has no balance.
There are better books out there to save money I say buy one of them instead.