5.0 out of 5 stars Her children are lucky
I am disturbed by some of the reviews that cruelly state that Mrs. Dacyczyn's children are being shortchanged--one reviewer called her childrearing philosophy child neglect and borderline abuse.
I think the Dacyczyn children are very blessed to be raised in a family where worldly values are put in perspective and the important things in life are stressed. My daughter...
Published on Sept. 26 2003 by C. Walker

2.0 out of 5 stars I laughed and laughed, but did not get many good ideas.
I read this book and shared it with a friend. We both thought that it was an interesting and often hysterical look an alternative lifestyle, but that it was not terribly useful to us.First of all, the author and her family live in the-back-of-beyond rural Maine, where being a little "eccentric" is perhaps less problematic than for most of us in the real...
Published on April 5 1999

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Some readers JUST DON'T GET IT....., Nov. 4 2003
LD (Janesville, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
This book is one of my FAVORITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME. No kidding, no exaggeration. It has helped me to see the big picture of my relationship with money. It has helped me realize I AM in control of what I buy and what I spend. It has shown me that there is another way than living from paycheck to paycheck. Over the last 4 years, I have gone from being highly in debt to having a big, fat savings account. And the best thing is...it was so rewarding to get there!
Still, some people JUST DON'T GET IT!! They joke that this would be a good gag gift, or whine that Amy D. is far to extreme with her ideas on how to save money. They look down their noses at this book while they rack up the debt.
This book challanges you to look at your energy; see where it's going. It helps to show you that money is a tool, and although we all need it, there are many other productive ways we can utilize our energy that save money instead of waste it. This book hands you the tools to figure out how to save money for yourself.
Get this book. It will change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for almost everyone, Oct. 23 2003
Sedim (Chandler, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
I LOVE this book. Do all the ideas apply to us? No. Do we use every idea as stated? Of course not. But as a springboard for ideas that DO apply to our situation, this book has been an exceptionally valuable resource. 2 years ago, I checked it out from the local library at a time when my husband and I were incredibly stressed about not having enough to pay the rent one month. With a renewal, I had the book for 6 weeks, completely free. In that time, we paid the rent with $100 left over, and at the end of the 6 weeks, I purchased it new (after a long and fruitless search for used!), and it had paid for itsself literally 13 times over, beyond the rent issue. In the three years since then, I can't even begin to calculate how much money we have saved from using ideas suggested and/or inspired by this book. However, I do know that in Arizona, I am able to be a full-time stay-at-home-mom while my husband earns well under $20,000 per year. We have a comfortable little apartment in a good neighborhood, we all wear nice clothes, our cars are paid off completely, we have at least 6 weeks of groceries in the house at all times, and he and I are both attending college. We pay ALL our bills on time, and our ONLY debt is student loans.
If you are in need of ideas, suggestions, or advice for cutting costs, I advise you to invest in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the BEST resource for tightwads., Aug. 8 2003
panthur (Raleigh, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
She's done and calculated it all, and this book is a huge compendium of all the information Amy has acquired writing her newsletter and getting advice from readers through the years. Great leftover recipe ideas, energy savings calculations, and tons of random tips.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book!, July 10 2003
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
I like this book, it has given me many useful ideas. I would get it from the library first before buying it, as the book is disorganized and some of her ideas are whacky in my opinion. The best way to read it is from cover-to-cover as there is no good index in it if you are searching for one thing. I would say I have implemented about 1/3 of her ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you ever wanted to know about saving money, July 10 2003
Andrea E. Feeser (PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
This book tells you everything you need to know about saving money and living the thrifty lifestyle (except for investment strategies). The author even reports on her research of how much money it costs for different comparable things (such as beverages, drying laundry, etc.). There are so many things covered in this book, that one person would probably not use them all, but it is helpful to know about most of them. Even if you do not do some of the things regularly, you may wish to do them in a pinch. I have already been saving money on my grocery bills, using the strategies given in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book!, June 18 2003
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
This is a great book for people who want to save money...hands down.
Who cares if you disagree with the author's method of parenting? This book is not about that! It is so sad that people seem to think, that in order for kids to be happy, they need only brand new clothes and toys! I seem to be the only person pointing out that the author of this book sews things for her kids (instead of lazily buying them), makes very cool snacks for their lunch boxes, reads to them, and seems like a mother dedicated to teaching her kids ethics. I think the people who call Amy Dacyzyn abusive are just trying to cover up their own guilt for not paying enough attention to their kids. I babysit young children, and let me tell you, all of them have more toys and Gap clothing than they could ever need. And most of them are disrespectful and selfish, how can I put this nicely, well, brats. I am worried about how some of them will turn out.
Sorry for lecturing, but I really feel this book is a great one, written by a smart and ethical woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars We are not alone! Fun, useful read!, May 29 2003
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
What fun - and so helpful too! Being the only tightwads in our families, my husband and I are commonly displayed as the freaks that mutating genes can spawn. This book has been a comfort, a giggle and an inpsiration. I took it to work to read on breaks and I often had to retrieve it from co-worker's desks. Found so many things that we had not even thought of - and I love the graphs - Mrs. Dacyczyn does the math for you! We have read it cover to cover. I normally sell back my books (after I buy them used!)- this I will keep for reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is hands down the best guide for saving money, May 26 2003
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
I checked this book out at the library and couldn't put it down. I had to buy it and now I consult it regularly for ideas and inpiration. A must for every frugal library.
I have saved a tremendous amount of money and have been able to achieve several financial goals in a very short time. I have purchased a much better home than I thought was possible and just paid cash for my next car. It has really helped me focus on spending my money on the things that are the most important to me and reduce or even eliminate spending on the rest. The funny thing is that my life seems more enriched instead of deprived.
Not only did this book demonstrate great ideas on how to save money, but also inspired me to look for new ways to save money that suit my lifestyle. The money saving ideas range from great ways for everyone to save money to the extreme. Obviously, not every tip is for everyone. Everyone has their own comfort level and financial situation, but just pick and choose the ideas that work for you and leave the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes some ideas are extreme but very helpful OVERALL!, May 23 2003
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
Though some of the ideas presented in the book are somewhat extreme in a way that I think it would take a degree of discipline and passion, I still find this book extremely helpful. It would make us realize that by putting a little thinking and creativity we can save money, time and other resources. But we must bear in mind that it's definitely okay to be frugal but not at the expense of other people (if you know what I mean). I am amazed how some of the people in the book managed to save so much. What I mean is that theory without practice is useless. I find a number of idea in the book somewhat 'challenging' in that sense. I would recommend this book to others and...challenge ourselves to get the most of what we could do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tightwad Gazette, May 16 2003
This review is from: The Complete Tightwad Gazette (Paperback)
THE BEST book to have if you want to save money. Many of the more recent money savings books have many of Amy's tips and thoughts on being thrifty. I reference to this book often when I have something I want to save money on such as cooking, cleaning, or fixing something.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›

The Complete Tightwad  Gazette
The Complete Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn (Paperback - Dec 15 1998)
CDN$ 28.00 CDN$ 17.56