5.0 out of 5 stars Memories in the Making
Grover is more than a little nervous - after all, there's a MONSTER at the end of the book. So, he enacts all kinds of zaniness like gluing the pages together in order to keep (protect) YOU (not him!!) from the monster at the end of the book.
Published on June 24 2001 by Summer Belle

2.0 out of 5 stars The Monster at the End of This Book
I was really looking forward to sharing the book with my granddaughter, as I had with my children many years ago...BUT upon receipt I was VERY disappointed it was not the large book I was expecting...instead it was a very small 6 3/4' x 8'...so for the $4.74 paid, it was not money well spent, I'm sorry to say. So just keep this in mind if you are expecting the large...
Published on Nov. 4 2007 by Julie B.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories in the Making, June 24 2001
This review is from: The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street) (Board book)
This is the only book I remember my dad reading to me - EVER. (Probably because I asked for it a million times!!) He would act the parts out and change his voice and I would roll on the floor with laughter. When it came to Grover's antics, my dad would pretend that the pages really *were* stuck together. He'd grunt and groan and s-l-o-w-l-y turn the pages.
I read it to my kids - my children and students alike - in the same manner. And you know what? Everyone rolls on the floor giggling. Everyone has a good time.
I highly recommend this one - it is a great story about the wacky ways we devise to avoid what we think we fear. BUT, it is also a great way to build memories that will last forever with your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Monster From the Very Beginning, March 24 2004
Of course, to see a person's amazon.com blurb on a novel (or novella) such as this one, you would estimate the person's age to be either that of a parent, such as say 26 or 32, or that of a small child, perhaps four or even six. However, considering my spelling and grammar in the first sentence, you can probably deduce that the latter is not applicable. As for the former, I've got a ways to go.
Basically, I'm a college student who was so profoundly touched by this work of book that I must stress its greatness to those generations that look up to me so dearly (yes, all of them). Essentially, the repeated reading of this book at an early age for me created a lens through which all other works of suspense were viewed and interpreted. Needless to say, Hitchcock never did it for me, and waiting for twists at the end of "The Twilight Zone" was like waiting for crust at the end of a piece of pizza.
No, not a single work of suspense could top this one. Told in the most ominous second person, protagonist Grover implores the reader not to turn the pages, for there is, as the title may suggest, a flesh eating virus hidden within the pages of the book itself. Just kidding, there's actually a monster at the end of the book, and if you wish to ignore the age-old adage that "curiousity killed the cat," then you just might find this out for yourself. (I, on Grover's recommendation, did not in fact turn the pages for several months after starting the book, until my mommy assured me that it was okay. Needless to say, I trust my own mother over a Muppet.)
At the risk of giving away any scant fragment of the ending, I must cease my review here. But be forewarned, the trip to the end of the book will be a thrilling one. I'm aware that Sesame Street has released some rather predictable works before ("Cookie cookie cookie starts with C?" Thanks, Cookie Monster, for the thoroughly engaging spelling lesson), but this is not one of them. Fasten your seatbelts kids, and turn the page.
If you dare!
No, seriously, turn the page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't turn the page!, Jan. 6 2003
Benjamin (ATLANTA, United States) - See all my reviews
I wandered into the room of my best friend's three-year-old son, preparing to read him a book before he went to bed. When I saw this book among the pile on his floor, I got nostalgic. Really nostalgic. My mom read me the same book when I was his age, and I love, LOVE this book.
Not only does it teach you that sometimes the answer to all of your questions is right in front of you, but it does so by giving you pages of Grover, one of the most hysterical, lovable Muppets. The rattling of Grover's nerves, and the actual building of suspense in a picture book, keep the reader turning the book's pages -- even though Grover BEGS you not to do so. The reader is actually included in the narrative, for the book involves only Grover talking to the reader. The book thus becomes involving very quickly and entertaining throughout it.
Plus, the final punchline is a great payoff.
If you have children, this is an absolute must. Unlike other books from children's shows, this one's intelligent, maintains proper values and isn't beat-me-over-the-head annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars WANT TO CREATE A CHERISHED CHILDHOOD MEMORY?, Oct. 4 2002
"gallo3108" (Paducah, KY United States) - See all my reviews
Get this book. It's the best bucks you'll ever spend. My 17 year old high school senior daughter's class was asked to bring their favorite book from childhood to class. They had to read the books to the entire class. Of course she took this book. The entire class voted this book their favorite. Imagine an entire class of 16 & 17 year olds giggling and laughing over something they normally wouldn't be caught dead looking at. She told how her mommy would act out the voices and plead and beg them to not turn the page, and how they would beg to be allowed their turn to turn the page and see how upset Grover got with them. They would giggle and laugh and always act surprised with Grover when they found out who the monster was. As they got older they would try to comfort Grover cause he was so afraid, and reassure him the monster wouldn't hurt him. Later when my daughter imagined monsters under her bed, and for three nights in a row I couldn't get her to sleep by herself, I remembered the book and got it out and read it for her. She was actually smiling when she went to bed and looked under her bed hoping to find a monster! There's only one problem ,you need to buy several books, because we went thru three while they were growing up, and I bought four more for future grandchildren. Now everytime someone has a baby I buy a book to include with the blankets and gowns. After all warm fuzzy memories are what it's all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Destiny, Fate, and Self-Knowledge, March 1 2000
By A Customer
_The Monster At The End Of This Book_ (henceforth "TMATEOTB") is a fascinating treatise on several of the philosophical problems lurking at the core of modern and classical thought. The premise -- that, with the turn of each page, the reader brings self-described "lovable, furry Grover" closer to danger at the hands of the title monster -- allows one to question the very nature of free will and destiny. Is Grover doomed to encounter the monster? The conceit that it is the act of turning pages -- the literal act of reading itself -- that causes the ending to come about inevitably leads to the question: Would the book end differently if one _didn't_ finish reading it? On another level, TMATEOTB addresses one of the paradoxes of contemporary physics: The equality of space and time. The "end of the book" is an event in the future, but the monster is not spoken of as "arriving", but as _already being there_. Thus, turning pages moves the reader and Grover not only forward in time, as in most traditional literature, but also forward in space, leading to the perilous End of the Book. Lastly, TMATEOTB is about how we are ultimately at the whim of the cosmic forces that shape our lives. The hapless protagonist tries again and again to stop the reader from turning pages by erecting brick walls and nailing one page to the other. His efforts are futile, but he remains unaware of his essential helplessness in the face of a Reader. Perhaps, the book says, we are ultimately doomed to fail, trapped within the pages of cosmic irony, but unable to prevent or even perceive the inevitability of our encounter with the monster. The shocking twist ending wraps up the disparate threads of the text, presenting issues of self-knowledge, the nature of fear, and the question of what it truly means to be a monster. Perhaps the failure of our quests for safety in an uncertain world isn't so bad, it argues, if it leads to a confrontation like the one depicted in _The Monster At The End Of This Book_.

5.0 out of 5 stars Italo Calvino would have loved this book., June 5 1999
By A Customer
This book and If On A Winter's Night A Traveler sit next to each other amiably on my desk. (I have to check sometimes to make sure they aren't REALLY nudging each other and giggling when no one's looking.) Never has the physical act of reading a text been so hilariously rendered - nor so visually. And the biggest surprise, as the reader gets ever nearer the terrible Monster at the end of the book (against loveable furry ol' Grover's increasingly frantic advice), is surely ... well, that would be telling. But let's just say that the motion of Time - which whirls a kid from one change to the next in all other contexts of her life - is, while she reads this book, put into HER control to an unparalleled degree. And while the child sees herself collaborating - ambivalently but irresistably - with the destructiveness of Time, the end result is revelation, not loss. What greater gift of myth could we give to a child?

5.0 out of 5 stars You will remember it by heart....., Aug. 13 2001
Amazon Customer "rr0428" (Alsip, IL United States) - See all my reviews
....my parents did! I requested this book every night before I went to bed. I didn't realize at the time that my parents were not actually reading the book, but telling it by memory. Now that I have a child of my own, I remember all of the words too. My son thought he could read at 2 years old because he also had the book memorized from reading it so often. It is really that good...especially when read with feeling as if you really are Grover. Grover hears the name of the book and gets scared because there is a monster at the end of the book. He begs and pleads for you to not turn another page....but of course you have to because your child will tell you to (even if it does make Grover scared). The ending is a bit of a surprise and even young children will understand the twist.

5.0 out of 5 stars HELLO EVERYBODEEE!, Sept. 25 2000
Grover was my favorite Sesame Street character as a child (and still is) and for some strange reason it isn't easy to find books on him. This one is so cute and adorable, just like "Lovable, Furry, Old Grover" himself!
As the adult you open the first page and instantly know the conclusion but looking at it from a child's viewpoint it is suspensefully entertaining. If you have a child that pushes books away alot I promise you he or she will NOT do that with THIS BOOK!
I highly recommend this book up to age 100! It is simply hiliarious! (When I first read it in the store I cracked up laughing and people were looking at me and I didn't care!) BUY THIS BOOK! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED--I PROMISE! YOU'LL PROBABLY LOVE IT MORE THAN YOUR CHILD! IT IS VERY FUN TO READ!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Monster at the End of This Book, Oct. 23 2002
Jacob Marlie (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I personally loved reading the book The Monster at the end of this book. My parents bought this for me went I was just very little. The book is about Grover from the show Sesame Street. Grover, being a wimp, is scared because he thinks the monster at the end of the book will hurt him. I loved the book because the book builds suspense throughout the book, as Grover gets more scared as the book goes on. In the book Grover actually tries telling you not to turn the pages. He even tries funny things like tying pages together and building a brick wall to stop you from turning the page. All in all I thinks this is a great book for any one in elementary, maybe not so much as 4th or 5th. I recommend it because its funny and it goes to show you not to be afraid of all monsters.

4.0 out of 5 stars The monster at the end of this book, Oct. 29 2002
By A Customer
This Book was about Grover, from sesame street, who thought he seen a monster at the end of the book so he was trying to get you not to turn the page because he is afraid of monsters. But then at the end of the book the monster was he and he was not so afraid any more and he was embarrassed.
I liked this book because it was by Sesame Street and it was funny. I think that a lot of little kids would like to read this book because it was surprising who the monster was really at the end of the book. And it showed you not to be afraid of all monsters and all monsters are not really that bad. I also liked this book because it was short and just about any little kid would enjoy it and they could read it too. I recommend this book for any kid. It is very enjoyable.

The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street)
The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street) by Jon Stone (Board book - June 27 2000)
CDN$ 6.50 CDN$ 6.18