5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SERIES

Published on June 18 2003 by pnoyce2

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SERIES, Sept. 9 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
When I found the Magic Tree House series, I was thrilled. Mary Pope Osbourne is writting books with non-fictional details in a fictional plot!! And I love that there are pictures on every other page--it keeps the early readers entertained. My older boys read early so it was hard to find books they could read that weren't "silly" and kept their interest (and had pictures). Even when my two older boys stepped into more difficult reading books, they still wanted to follow the series! Now my 7 year old is taking over!!
I understand that the writting is for younger kids, but last year I worked as a teacher's aide, and every day I would read a chapter to the 4th grade class, before dismissal, and they were sold--found Magic Tree House more fun than Harry Potter!! When we started a new book, we would all wait until the tree house stopped spinning and the whole class would say with me "everything was still; absolutely still" (a standard line in each book)!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Knight at Dawn, Dec 2 2003
D. Hayes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
I am Hunter and I am seven years old. My dad teaches me at home and I have to read lots of books. The Magic Treehouse books are my favorite books. I really liked the part where Jack crawled out of the secret tunnel and fell into the moat! I think other children will like these books too. My dad also has some of these on tapes and we listen to them in the car.
Hunter's dad: Although there are some grammatical lapses in these stories, I've found the subject matter and the 'fun' adventures offset the grammar for my son. I am still teaching him about the enjoyment of reading and giving him practice and he enjoys these. I don't think of these as "bubble gum for the brain" and I find the subject material provides a lot of teaching opportunities. For children just starting to read chapter books, I think these are a good choice. I also have The Boxcar Children set, but they are roughly three times as long and will be for my son's next stage of reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars great subject matter poorly handled, June 18 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
I have found this series very disappointing overall. The premise is great-- kids travelling through books to fascinating places and times. But the plots and language are so simple and the characters so undeveloped that I can't get my child (or myself) motivated to finish the books. Well-written non-fiction on the same topics would be not only more informative but more engaging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not well written, overall., Aug. 23 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
The first book in the series wasn't too bad. It was filled with suspense and exciting dinosaurs! However, after reading #2 and #3 I came to the realization that apparently the writing wasn't going to get any better. These books are written in simple sentence format, too juvenile for most kids I think. Also the author includes phrases like, "I'm going to kill her!" and living in the times that we do, I don't think this is appropriate. Also I didn't think the stories flowed well. They were way too choppy and broken up. We were left scratching our heads after some of it. Overall, I think you can do much better with other series'. The Boxcar Children would be one of my suggestions. I thought the premise these books are based on was so fun and held great promise. Oh well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chapter Books for First, Second & Third Graders, Dec 14 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
This is the first series of chapter books my son actually wanted to read by himself. While many of the reviewers complain about grammatical errors, etc., I feel these can be overlooked as these delightful stories keep a child's interest from start to finish. Each chapter is fairly short and has frequent pictures (a must for beginning chapter readers). The main characters have all sorts of adventures and the reader actually learns some historical facts. While the books are probably too easy for advanced readers, they should appeal to most beginning chapter readers. I think it is very important that children think reading is fun and the books from The Magic Tree House Series provide a wonderful introduction to chapter book reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excited about reading, June 17 2003
Pamela Alford "Computer Geek" (Bristow, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
I have and eight year old ADD child who not only will sit still for the book but also is eager to see what is going to happen next. He is a struggling reader so I read one page and he reads the next. We finished the first book in two days, which is a big accomplishment for him given his reading difficulties. The best part is that he is smiling while he is reading and I couldn't ask for more than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good intro to the next level of chapter books, March 14 2002
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
This series is an interesting mix of fiction & nonfiction. Each book takes the characters (siblings Jack & Annie) to another place and/or time to get a clue to solve a mystery or challenge. The mysteries come in 4 book units, so this box set gives one full story unit. Our kids didn't really get that involved in the 'mystery' aspect, in part because we were getting them mostly from the library, which never seemed to have all 4 of a given mystery group. What they enjoyed was that it was a good easy chapter book, with many subjects or topics that were interesting to them.
I would agree with the reviewer who complained about the standard of writing- it's not great- and would add that if your child is particularly well-versed in a topic in one of the books they are likely to find that they know more than is presented in the story. I would put these squarely at 1st grade level... The Boxcar children are regularly threatened by rather sinister types, and because the stories are seen to be more current, it can seem more frightening than something that is clearly happening in another time- Pharoic Egypt, dinosaurs, etc.).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Homeschooling, Oct. 16 2002
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
My son loves reading these books. Contrary to previous reviews, I have found the reading to flow easily. The reader can finish the book with a sense of accomplishment. The book is a combination of fact and fiction. Not all, but some books, in the back, the author includes extra insight to the facts written in the story. The author invites the reader to visit a web site. The site provides curriculum and extra activities to go along with each book. The activities cover every subject from Language Arts, History, Science, Music and Arts. Great for homeschooling or extra mommy and child time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-reader loves these books, March 12 2002
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
My 7 1/2 year old son never likes to read at all. I wasn't sure about buying a set of books again for him that he would not read. They were offered through a book club via the school and we got books 11 - 22. I had to beg him to read the first one, then, I can't get him to stop! He said they are interesting. Since they are books from the Accelerated Reader list, I am very happy he is reading them. He can read one a day even though most have 10 (short) chapters. I am getting the entire set for him. These are a very good buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully imaginative.........., Sept. 29 2001
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
The Magic Tree House books are wonderful for early elementary kids. My first and second graders love for me to read these books aloud. They are simple and uncomplicated with short chapters which could cause them to be a bit boring for older kids. Each book has Jack and Annie magically going to another time and place by wishing on a book left in the tree house. This series (I have #1-24) have really turned some of my non-readers onto reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set
Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set by Mary Pope Osborne (Paperback - May 29 2001)
CDN$ 23.96 CDN$ 17.29