5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SERIES

Published on June 18 2003 by pnoyce2

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SERIES, Sept. 9 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
When I found the Magic Tree House series, I was thrilled. Mary Pope Osbourne is writting books with non-fictional details in a fictional plot!! And I love that there are pictures on every other page--it keeps the early readers entertained. My older boys read early so it was hard to find books they could read that weren't "silly" and kept their interest (and had pictures). Even when my two older boys stepped into more difficult reading books, they still wanted to follow the series! Now my 7 year old is taking over!!
I understand that the writting is for younger kids, but last year I worked as a teacher's aide, and every day I would read a chapter to the 4th grade class, before dismissal, and they were sold--found Magic Tree House more fun than Harry Potter!! When we started a new book, we would all wait until the tree house stopped spinning and the whole class would say with me "everything was still; absolutely still" (a standard line in each book)!

2.0 out of 5 stars great subject matter poorly handled, June 18 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
I have found this series very disappointing overall. The premise is great-- kids travelling through books to fascinating places and times. But the plots and language are so simple and the characters so undeveloped that I can't get my child (or myself) motivated to finish the books. Well-written non-fiction on the same topics would be not only more informative but more engaging.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not well written, overall., Aug. 23 2001
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
The first book in the series wasn't too bad. It was filled with suspense and exciting dinosaurs! However, after reading #2 and #3 I came to the realization that apparently the writing wasn't going to get any better. These books are written in simple sentence format, too juvenile for most kids I think. Also the author includes phrases like, "I'm going to kill her!" and living in the times that we do, I don't think this is appropriate. Also I didn't think the stories flowed well. They were way too choppy and broken up. We were left scratching our heads after some of it. Overall, I think you can do much better with other series'. The Boxcar Children would be one of my suggestions. I thought the premise these books are based on was so fun and held great promise. Oh well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Get Enough!, June 7 2004
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
I bought the boxed set 1-4 based on my sister's recommendation. She has a 5 and 3 1/2 year old and they listen to Ms. Osborne's books on tape. They looovvve the stories--yes even her younger son. I decided to give it a try. I thought my bright almost 5 year-old daughter would like to try something different and also, give her a taste of what chapter books were all about. My daughter cannot get enough of these books. They are interesting, intriguing, thought provoking and often times my daughter ends up with her fingers in her mouth because she gets so excited about what's happening in the story. What a wonderful way to broaden your child's look at the world--from Egypt to the Cretaceous period 65 million years ago. I went ahead and bought books 5-8 and look forward to reading them to my daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read these., Feb. 12 2014
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
Way back, I was a wee lad. While I was a wee lad I read these books. They were a ton of fun and inspired many a crazy imaginationings inside of my brain.

Honestly, if you have kids and have never read them these books you really need to fix that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Black & White Pictures!!!???, Dec 31 2013
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
For Amazon, I give a 5/5... I bought series set 1-4 and 5-8 for Christmas for my 5 year old nephew on Dec 23rd and it arrived (just as amazon had promised) on Dec 24th!!! For an extra $10. His dad was happy about the gift and was looking forward to reading them with my nephew. As far as I saw, the letters were big and readable for a 5 year old with help from parents. His dad actually knew the series and said these are very popular. But what I wasn't particularly happy about that the pictures were in Black and White! I mean, really? Black&White? for an adventure book for kids? I found this cheap and disappointing... but I would still recommend the books as they're a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars sent to my grand daughter Morgan, May 1 2013
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
Morgan loved getting something in the mail and her parents love that I have started her on a series that she can enjoy like her big sister Maddy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves them., March 15 2013
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
Could resist reading them all as quickly as possible. Great books for young kids to get started. Keeps then interested in resding.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Tree House, June 3 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
Well this book is about an eight year old boy named Jack and his
seven year old sister Annie. They go back in time to save cammalot
and to help Morgan. My brother really like to buy all the books of
magic tree house series. I hope Mary Pope Osborn realeased the
two newest books of Thanksgiving and Hawaii I bet your going to
to like this books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Chapter Books for First, Second & Third Graders, Dec 14 2003
This review is from: Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set (Paperback)
This is the first series of chapter books my son actually wanted to read by himself. While many of the reviewers complain about grammatical errors, etc., I feel these can be overlooked as these delightful stories keep a child's interest from start to finish. Each chapter is fairly short and has frequent pictures (a must for beginning chapter readers). The main characters have all sorts of adventures and the reader actually learns some historical facts. While the books are probably too easy for advanced readers, they should appeal to most beginning chapter readers. I think it is very important that children think reading is fun and the books from The Magic Tree House Series provide a wonderful introduction to chapter book reading!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set
Magic Tree House Volumes 1-4 Boxed Set by Mary Pope Osborne (Paperback - May 29 2001)
CDN$ 23.96 CDN$ 17.29