countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 2, 2003
I am Hunter and I am seven years old. My dad teaches me at home and I have to read lots of books. The Magic Treehouse books are my favorite books. I really liked the part where Jack crawled out of the secret tunnel and fell into the moat! I think other children will like these books too. My dad also has some of these on tapes and we listen to them in the car.
Hunter's dad: Although there are some grammatical lapses in these stories, I've found the subject matter and the 'fun' adventures offset the grammar for my son. I am still teaching him about the enjoyment of reading and giving him practice and he enjoys these. I don't think of these as "bubble gum for the brain" and I find the subject material provides a lot of teaching opportunities. For children just starting to read chapter books, I think these are a good choice. I also have The Boxcar Children set, but they are roughly three times as long and will be for my son's next stage of reading.
on December 14, 2003
This is the first series of chapter books my son actually wanted to read by himself. While many of the reviewers complain about grammatical errors, etc., I feel these can be overlooked as these delightful stories keep a child's interest from start to finish. Each chapter is fairly short and has frequent pictures (a must for beginning chapter readers). The main characters have all sorts of adventures and the reader actually learns some historical facts. While the books are probably too easy for advanced readers, they should appeal to most beginning chapter readers. I think it is very important that children think reading is fun and the books from The Magic Tree House Series provide a wonderful introduction to chapter book reading!
on June 18, 2003
I have found this series very disappointing overall. The premise is great-- kids travelling through books to fascinating places and times. But the plots and language are so simple and the characters so undeveloped that I can't get my child (or myself) motivated to finish the books. Well-written non-fiction on the same topics would be not only more informative but more engaging.
on June 17, 2003
I have and eight year old ADD child who not only will sit still for the book but also is eager to see what is going to happen next. He is a struggling reader so I read one page and he reads the next. We finished the first book in two days, which is a big accomplishment for him given his reading difficulties. The best part is that he is smiling while he is reading and I couldn't ask for more than that.
on March 14, 2002
This series is an interesting mix of fiction & nonfiction. Each book takes the characters (siblings Jack & Annie) to another place and/or time to get a clue to solve a mystery or challenge. The mysteries come in 4 book units, so this box set gives one full story unit. Our kids didn't really get that involved in the 'mystery' aspect, in part because we were getting them mostly from the library, which never seemed to have all 4 of a given mystery group. What they enjoyed was that it was a good easy chapter book, with many subjects or topics that were interesting to them.
I would agree with the reviewer who complained about the standard of writing- it's not great- and would add that if your child is particularly well-versed in a topic in one of the books they are likely to find that they know more than is presented in the story. I would put these squarely at 1st grade level... The Boxcar children are regularly threatened by rather sinister types, and because the stories are seen to be more current, it can seem more frightening than something that is clearly happening in another time- Pharoic Egypt, dinosaurs, etc.).
on December 31, 2013
For Amazon, I give a 5/5... I bought series set 1-4 and 5-8 for Christmas for my 5 year old nephew on Dec 23rd and it arrived (just as amazon had promised) on Dec 24th!!! For an extra $10. His dad was happy about the gift and was looking forward to reading them with my nephew. As far as I saw, the letters were big and readable for a 5 year old with help from parents. His dad actually knew the series and said these are very popular. But what I wasn't particularly happy about that the pictures were in Black and White! I mean, really? Black&White? for an adventure book for kids? I found this cheap and disappointing... but I would still recommend the books as they're a good read
on October 16, 2002
My son loves reading these books. Contrary to previous reviews, I have found the reading to flow easily. The reader can finish the book with a sense of accomplishment. The book is a combination of fact and fiction. Not all, but some books, in the back, the author includes extra insight to the facts written in the story. The author invites the reader to visit a web site. The site provides curriculum and extra activities to go along with each book. The activities cover every subject from Language Arts, History, Science, Music and Arts. Great for homeschooling or extra mommy and child time.
on March 12, 2002
My 7 1/2 year old son never likes to read at all. I wasn't sure about buying a set of books again for him that he would not read. They were offered through a book club via the school and we got books 11 - 22. I had to beg him to read the first one, then, I can't get him to stop! He said they are interesting. Since they are books from the Accelerated Reader list, I am very happy he is reading them. He can read one a day even though most have 10 (short) chapters. I am getting the entire set for him. These are a very good buy!
on September 29, 2001
The Magic Tree House books are wonderful for early elementary kids. My first and second graders love for me to read these books aloud. They are simple and uncomplicated with short chapters which could cause them to be a bit boring for older kids. Each book has Jack and Annie magically going to another time and place by wishing on a book left in the tree house. This series (I have #1-24) have really turned some of my non-readers onto reading.
on June 7, 2004
I bought the boxed set 1-4 based on my sister's recommendation. She has a 5 and 3 1/2 year old and they listen to Ms. Osborne's books on tape. They looovvve the stories--yes even her younger son. I decided to give it a try. I thought my bright almost 5 year-old daughter would like to try something different and also, give her a taste of what chapter books were all about. My daughter cannot get enough of these books. They are interesting, intriguing, thought provoking and often times my daughter ends up with her fingers in her mouth because she gets so excited about what's happening in the story. What a wonderful way to broaden your child's look at the world--from Egypt to the Cretaceous period 65 million years ago. I went ahead and bought books 5-8 and look forward to reading them to my daughter.