4.0 out of 5 stars Protector of the Small - Lady Knight
¡§I won¡¦t dance about¡KI¡¦m giving you the hardest assignment of any knight in this district.
I think you will hate it, and perhaps me¡KGeneral Vanget has asked me to build and staff a refugee camp in addition to the new fort.¡¨ ~Lord Wyldon, commander, knight.
¡§Who¡¦s to command this...
Published on May 16 2006 by Patrick Wong

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
I was expecting something entirely different from this series. I had no idea it would be filled with weird creatures and magic ( which I generally hate). This book was boring for the most part and didn't like the way it ended entirely for Kel
Published on July 23 2012 by Cheryl Davenport

4.0 out of 5 stars Protector of the Small - Lady Knight, May 16 2006
Patrick Wong (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
¡§Who¡¦s to command this place, sir?¡¨ ~Keladry of Mindelan, Lady Knight 1st year.
¡§You are¡¨ ~Lord Wyldon.
Lady Knight is the 4th book in Tamora Pierce¡¦s latest quartet, ¡§Protector of the Small.¡¨ Living in New York as a well-known fantasy writer who is known for her books of heroines, she has also wrote two other quartets, also set in the fantasy realm of Tortall. As well as these, she has also wrote the quartets, ¡§Circle of Magic,¡¨ and ¡§The Circle Opens.¡¨
This story took place several years after the first lady knight in a hundred years was knighted. Keladry, called Kel by her friends, strived to become a knight and after a troublesome four years, she was finally knighted. Finally she became what she had wished for all her youth, and was thrown into a war between the barbaric nation of Scanra and the Kingdom of Tortall. She went north with all of her fellow knight friends to help out with the war and she later found herself with a task like no other. She was to be in command of a refugee camp, named Haven, equipped less than 40 soldiers and 500 refugees.
Her task was made even harder when she found out that the Scanran mage, Blayce, was using the souls of children to fuel his ¡¥metal-killing devices.¡¦ What better place to get children souls then at a refugee camp with lots and lots of people compared to almost no guards. Along with her were her friends and fellow knights, Nealen of Queenscove and Merric of Hollyrose. Together they attempted to defend this camp from Scanran raids. However as the commander, Kel was obligated to report her progress to her superiors. Unfortunately for her, this was when Scanrans along with several metal devices decided to pay a visit to her camp and captured all the children with them. Being the loving and caring knight she was, she decided to avoid orders, risk being tried for treason, and went after the captured refugees. Fortunately for her, help came her way and together they went and battled Blayce and his henchman, Stenmun.
In my opinion Tamora Pierce likes to write fast-paced, suspenseful books. Along with her books being of a fantasy nature, I got hooked reading the book right from the first book of her series. Also there are many battle scenes which are described in some-what detail which adds to the suspense. In addition to this there is a glossary and information about each character which is quite useful if you ever get lost. All in all a very good book and luckily there are two more quartets waiting for you to further explore the world of Tortall!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, July 23 2012
This review is from: Lady Knight: Book 4 of the Protector of the Small Quartet (Mass Market Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars LADY KNIGHT, Dec 9 2002
J. Mosing (Lafayette, LA) - See all my reviews
LADY KNIGHT is the greatest book I have read in a long time; I was never bored while reading it. Pierce has the fantastic ability to create what many authors have forgotten how to do: real characters. Kel work diligently for her title as "Lady Knight" as she experience both losses and triumphs in her quest to find herself and her greater purpose. (She even gets a cold!) Not only do the books character's become real, but the scenery and the plot comes to life with Pierce's vivid descriptions. Another unique aspect of her writing is that her heroines are all women while the majority of the world's books pose another male figure as the protagonist. It was a wonderful experience to read a book that shows the passion of the human spirit and the courage that lies within each of us. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves action, adventure, (even a little bit of magic) and stories about finding one's place in the world. I have not yet read the other three books in the PROTECTOR OF THE SMALL series, but I am very anxious to do so!

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 really, Sept. 27 2002
I must beg to disagree with several of the reviews cited here.
No, there isn't much romance in Lady Knight. But surely this is a reflection of Kel's occupation with events. I don't think I'll be spoiling it for anyone if I mention that there is a war with Scanra. It was fairly inevitable. As such, Kel is pretty tied up with her all-consuming assignment, with very little time for romance. And I found the little hints about Dom (and Owen, though I may be paranoid) to be a quite intriguing; more so, perhaps, than out and out snogging, which is what you get with Alanna and Daine.
I thought Lady Knight was interesting and an amusing read. (That sounds condescending, but I'm avoiding using 'fun' as an adjective). The battle strategy, heavily used throughout the book, was fascinating, Pierce's trademark sly humour pervaded throughout, and many old favourite characters returned, including one of my personal favourites, Neal. Numair, Cleon, Dom, Quinden, Owen, Faleron, Raoul, Alanna, Baird, Merric, Wyldon, one of the hill bandits, Daine, Peachblossom, Hoshi and Roald all make appearances of varying lengths, and we are granted a blessed respite from Jon's arrogant presence. Buri, my very favourite character does not feature, although the epilogue mentions some interesting gossip on her situation! Added to this wonderful mix are some great new characters, including some difficult refugees.
Kel's character develops beautifully, and it is a joy to see, or rather, read.
The reason I have taken the 1/2 star off this marvellous book, however, is because of Cleon. Not giving too much away, I do not think Pierce dealt with Kel and Cleons' relationship adequately, but left poor Cleon out on a bit of a limb. (NB: This is not the same as 'not enough romance')
As for the ending, I found it more than conclusive enough. In real life, loose ends are not always tied up, and the protagonist doesn't always 'get' a true love. Pierce fans are just spoilt by Daine and Alannas' very satisfactory endings. I like this new method. As long as we hear more about Kel in future Tortall books, as we have about Alanna and Daine, I'm fine with this.
All in all a very satisfactory read, although reading the rest of the series first is a must.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Like Four and a Half...., Aug. 27 2002
"dustykid" (Connecticut, USA) - See all my reviews
I was really looking forward to Pierce's new book a long time before it hit the shelves. When I picked it up on August 24, I had plans of starting it immiediately after I got home.
'Lady Knight,' the fourth installment in the Protector of the Small quartet, follows Keladry of Mindelan, now eighteen and fresh out of her training for knighthood, through her first adventure as a knight of the realm of Tortall. I was pleased that the final book did not forget the supporting characters we fell in love with in the earlier books (Neal in particular) and kept them as an important part of the story.
The story chronicles the bulk of Tortall's war with Scanra, the nation bordering it to the north. Kel and her friends are assigned to a position that mainly involves keeping civilian refugees as safe as possible from harm, especially at the hands of the montrous killing machines manufactured by a virtually unknown mage for the army of Scanra.
Though the book was fantastic, I did not put five stars on my review because I felt ther was something missing. Perhaps I felt that in the final book, Kel should have a somewhat defined love interest. And even though Pierce hinted slightly at Sergeant Domitan, it didn't seen to be enough for me.
But all in all, 'Lady Knight' is a fine conclusion to the brilliant quartet, filled with humor, emotion, and of course, lots of adventure. I believe at the end of the story, many will join me in waiting hopefully for another tale of Tortall, so we can fall in love with new characters, and have a great time with the old ones as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Thumbs Up, Aug. 18 2003
First off, this book I just love. It is packed with adventure, and I loved the entire thing. I couldn't put it down. I placed a hold on it at Borders, so that when it came in they would notify me. I was furious when they sent me a postcard saying that it wasn't published, though I knew it was, since I had read it. I had to travel to a different state to get it. I didn't go just for that purpose though, but I did buy it there. Kel is finally a knight, her dream come true. She is put in charge of the refugee camp, which she calls Haven. When she is gone, an army attacks the camp, and though the refugees put up a worthy fight, they were captured. Kel is forced to not chase after them, but we're talking about the girl who risked repeated her page years for her maid. She sneaked away and went after them, and finally completed the task that the Chamber of the Ordeal set before her.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it wasn't from Tamora Pierce..., Oct. 14 2002
Kara Maloney - See all my reviews
This was a good book in its own right. I'll admit to crying at the end at a certain moment involving a kiss. While great for a normal fantasy young adult novel, it just didn't seem to live up to Tamora Pierce's usual standards. I would even rate this below the "Circle of Magic," which didn't seem to capture the magic of the Tortall books.
Keladry has probably become my favorite Pierce heroine, if only because, as Alanna herself puts it, Kel is real. Alanna was Goddess-chosen, and Daine fathered by a god, but Kel was a real girl who survived because of her determination and her will to survive. Squire was an incredible book, but Lady Knight seemed tired. There were brilliant moments, especially involving Raoul and Lord Wyldon, but this book didn't seem to give Kel the ending she deserved for her quartet. And this had nothing to do with the lack of romance, the shoddy handling of Cleon aside.
Recommended as a closing to Squire, but beyond that... Hopefully we'll see more of Kel in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Quartet, June 26 2004
fine, the ending got to me a little. I was dissapointed cause i wanted more ending. But it was my favorite quartet of TP and i loved it! I was also dissapointed Neal was betrothed to Yukimi. He and Kel are so better off together. But Dom's okay i guess. he is neal's cousin, after all. I was left gloomy after reading all four books cuz i wanted more and felt like i was losing my friends when i didn't hav any more to read about kel. So i hope in trickster's choice, the book about alianne, alanna's daughter, which sounds like alien and is sort of a stupid name, they hav kel and neal in there. they're my favorite characters in the quartet! this book has great action when kel, finally a knight, gets sort of a task from the chamber of the ordeal and is left to command a refugee camp. SHe teaches the civilians to fight and when she leaves to visit sir wyldon, she finds out the camp has been attacked! Although wyldon commanded otherwise, she left the squads on her own to take back her refugees who were kidnapped to be fed to evil metal killing machines a mage named Blayce was making. Her friends join, wanting to help her rather than save their shield as what they were doing was basically treason. So they head onto Scanra where war takes place to get back the children, that was what they spent eight years training for! Grate!!!! wonderful book, i luuuuuvved it!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great book....until the end!, June 18 2004
I thought this book was a perfect finish to the series...except for the very last chapter. (there are SPOILERS ahead, so don't read on if you don't want to know what happens at the end)
So, Kel enters the very chamber that she's dreaded...the chamber where the giant metal monsters are made. So, I'm thinking, "At last!! The climax of the book!"
So, the mage turns himself invisible, but luckily Kel has her griffin feather band and she kills him. Just like that!! There was no suspenseful fight or even much suspenseful dialogue. I know being a mage, fighting's probably not his forte, but still...
Other than that letdown, the book was a great one. I know some people don't like Kel, but I really admire how hard she works and how she values other people who have good values, be they commoners or nobles. I also liked how she didn't follow the trends of Alanna and Daine and get a guy in the end. I guess that's life...it made her charachter all the more realisitic. Although, I am sort of hoping she and Dom will get together in other books that take place in Tortall. *crosses fingers*
Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, June 15 2004
Sam (Australia) - See all my reviews
I am a veteran of the Tortall series and this superb edition is one of the finest yet. This book flows smoothly through the pages in perfect harmony and the use of magic and sword is marvelous. The story goes with the beginning starting as a small intro to the main character, Keladry, who is recently having nightmares. After a scene with the Chamber of Ordeal she and a group of others are summoned to a fort where Keladry is assigned to look after refugees. The story goes on with her having to leave and going to report to her Lord Wyldon, but while away the enemy lead a devestating attack against her post and takes the refugees as prisoners. Keladry is furious and gives two men the slip to search for her people, two groups head after her and help along the way. In the end Keladry succeeds in her task and heads home.
I would, however suggest that the reader reads the Lioness quartet first and then the Immortals before reading Protecter of of the Small series. It is an outstanding series and a very good book.

Lady Knight: Book 4 of the Protector of the Small Quartet
Lady Knight: Book 4 of the Protector of the Small Quartet by Tamora Pierce (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 26 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01