Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

4.6 out of 5 stars1,092

Showing 1-10 of 39 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on April 16, 2001
A good hero gets into some trouble, then takes action to get out of trouble, solve the mystery, win the day. The "hero" of this book has all her problems solved by others. She overhears a conversation about "Dust" and is dragged off to live with a mysterious woman, where she overhears a conversation about missing children. She's rescued by others who tell her more information, and so on, ad nauseum.
If you don't mind a passive hero who has all the "twist and turns" handed to her on a silver platter, and you don't mind suffering through dialect that substitutes for character development (all the lower class people say "en't" instead of "ain't" -- en't that clever), then you'll love this book. For truly captivating storytelling, re-read Harry Potter.
on October 3, 2001
I learned that Pullman was inspired by David Lindsay so I thought I'd try the first book in this series. However after seeing the trumpeting cliches, vapid analogies, didactic moralizing and insipid political interpretations from every reprehensible source on earth from the Parents Choice to the NYT and Newsweek's invoking the loathsome Harry Potter I decided to skip it. Any book so systematically placating to such "moral" trend setters lacks subtlety and is worthless. There can be NO possible resemblance to Lindsay, Tolkien, or Lewis. The NYT reviewer is as obvious and crass as a barfly tapping green beer from NY's louder distilleries on St. Patties day. The visions imparted here are probably no less artificial. Also it's continuous feminist jabbing in the ribs is irritating.
on November 28, 2001
Decent writing but the authors anti-Christian bias shows through too much. Our family was not looking for a religious book, but we didn't want one hostile to our faith.
Get into the REDWALL series instead. It is far better!!!
on March 4, 2002
I bought this based on some of the reviews I read which compared it to the Harry Potter series. That's pretty misleading as far as I'm concerned. The problem here is not really with this first book of the series. It's actually pretty enjoyable and well written. The real problems start to develope in book two and then become full blown in book three. If I were interested in blasting these from a religous standpoint, I'd say that portraying god as a senile, drooling idiot incapable of even walking on his own may be in poor taste for younger, impressionable readers. But I will leave that to others to debate. My complaint is that the first book draws you into what appears to be an interesting story and then steadly becomes increasingly boring, confusing, poorly written and just plain stupid through the next two books in the series. Unfortunately, you can't just read the first book on it's own.
on January 26, 2002
This book had cuss words that could have easily been avoided as well as many other inappropriate things..don't waste your time on this book. The even altered the BIBLE in this book. STEP AWAY
on October 19, 2001
A sickly treacly addition to the political emetic that is modern fantasy. As subtle as the neon in Piccadilly circus. As gross as Ursula K Leguin's feminist tracks in never never land.
on June 6, 2001
I know that most people like the book "The Golden Compass" but I hated it. If you like fantacy it's great, but if you dont it is a nightmare. Just to let you know!
on October 17, 1999
the worst book I have ever read. A very childesh dream book. Phillip couldn't have done worse. The charachters are very childesh and the plot is horrible.
on November 15, 2000
This book was completely boring to me. It was well written, but I formed no attachment to the characters except perhaps, the polar bear. The plot was a little better, but I found myself skimming pages.
The basic plot: Lyra is a girl who lives in a world where everyone has a daemon. A daemon is like an companion that is connected to a person though some special bond. There seems to be a conspiracy afoot that involves Lyra's uncle and the scholars at Oxford University. Lyra's best friend is kidnapped along with other children. Lyra sets out to find her friend.
...The plot continues from there, and seems very dark and serious. There is murder and violence, but I was so uninterested in the book, that I hardly felt it. I don'tthink that this should be listed as a children's book, but I don't think that children(or adults) will find this interesting at all.
on July 9, 2000
I have never read a more poorly written book in my life. I'm an adult, but I like reading books for young adults. This book is very poorly plotted, is very uninvolving, and is generally written very sloppily. I had to give up 75 pages from the end, because it was so bogus. This author could not write a credible action sequence to save his life. The hero of the story does very little on her own behalf, takes very little initiative, very few risks. She just rides along like a good little princess. This book is also full of happy little patronising expository comments and lectures. It's like an episode of The Magic Schoolbus from PBS. This book is a drag anyway you slice it. If you want a good children's story adventure, read Robin Jarvis. You can order Jarvis's books from