5.0 out of 5 stars more than a children's book
Published on April 28 2004 by Kyle Laurentine

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment
I loved the Golden Compass and the Subtle Knife but this book disappointed me terribly. I was outraged. To much ranting about Dust, 'we have to seal all the holes' 'oh but then we cant see each other any more'
really, who cares!? Lyra and Will falling in love was terrible, ruined the plot with nonsense
Published on Dec 22 2007 by Andy

5.0 out of 5 stars more than a children's book, April 28 2004
This is one of the greatest books I have ever read. In some magical way, this is a book that, through the stories of several very original characters is able to address God, love, maturity, humanity's history and meaning, and countless other wonderful topics. This was more than just a novel to me; it has shaped my philosophy and way of looking at the world. Thos who say that this is a children's book a la "Harry Potter" are wrong. Maybe to the young readers, that's how it is, but I'm 14 and I was able to see that this is more than an easy, pleasurable fantasy like Harry Potter. This is a novel but also a manuscript of Pullman's philosophies and views. It is an extraordinary book that operates on a truly incredible, epic scale. From the first book, things just built up and built up, and here it all comes together in a brilliant, and very sad, climax. Read the series. You'll be enlightened.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, but I hate that it was the last one. This is a series I wanted to continue forever, July 18 2014
I remember reading these books as a kid. I still remember every bit of my journey through the universes and how Crushed I was when I flipped the last page of the Amber Spyglass.

These books, with the Amber Spyglass as no exception, will take you on a fantastical journey through magical worlds with incredible objects and even better characters. The story gets more complex as you move forward and you get more and more invested with the characters and story.
This is one of those series that we should all read. They are not a series just for children/teenagers etc... They're for everyone.

Pullman wrote these books well and conveyed a solid story that had me trapped in it until I finished. You will feel empty when you're done, but you will have gained a lot in the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars The amber spyglass, Oct. 17 2013
A beautiful and heart wrenching ending to an amazing series. I didn't want it to end but i couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, brilliant, but with a few blemishes, May 21 2002
Blake B. Ellis "Wizard" (Louisville, Ky, 40204) - See all my reviews
I just finished this book in geometry class, and let me tell you, it is fantastic! It has everything you'd ever want in a fantasy epic - love, treachery, amazing imagry, well-developed and likeable characters... Pullman really pulls you into the series, especially this one, with the blooming romance of Will and Lyra(who despite their age are obviously quite mature, although some people who read this might feel a bit confused at their ascent).
The only thing that really bothered me was a chapter, no, not even a chapter, a fragment of a chapter, in the end when Pullman uses one of his characters to vent on his atheism. I'm an agnostic, so either way, it doesn't so much matter that he's bashing orthodox religion... The fact is, it doesn't make sense that people could go through so something so eye-opening and fantastical and then openly outrule the existence of something like a creator. It was obvious that he was absent, but non-existant? Isn't that just as rediculous as orthodox religion? Pullman needs to read his own novel, I think. Anything's possible. That's the message I got, anyway.
Either way, the book's a great read, and the best in the series. Read it; you'll enjoy it.
...

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must read' for all, April 22 2002
This book is one of the best young adult books i have ever read.
Lyra and her companions travel through diffrent worlds to make a wonderful end to the series. The best part about this book is that it doesn't treat the christian religion with too much respect. This book gives a new view to god and the kingdom of heaven as a source for imaginitive writing rather than too much reverence.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't forget about this book, March 11 2002
I finished this book in on day. If you read this book you will never forget it. Will and Lyra fall in love and must leave each other. The last book of His Dark Materials Trilogy is so sad it mad me cry and I am a tough tom-boy. I think everyboby should read this book. Once I finished this book I could not belive how Philip Pullman ended this sad story.

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, Dec 22 2007

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent fiction writing & deplorably heavyhanded preaching, May 16 2002
Finishing the trilogy leaves me rather depressed. The degeneration of such a marvelous imaginative world of fantasy and science fiction into barely veiled juvenile swipes at Christianity left a bitter taste for the whole series in my mouth. As an elementary school teacher who loves to read out loud to his class I was hoping I'd found another series to use. Unfortunatly not. There is no way this book is appropriate for younger children of parents of Christian backgrounds. I can just imagine the parent calls now...
There were also numerous plot holes in this last book as well, ... It strikes me that perhaps Pullman was so eager to set about Christian bashing that he lost sight of the literary integrity of the story itself. Perhaps he was just falling all over himself as the end of the trilogy came to get to his sermon.
All that talent... such a shame...

3.0 out of 5 stars The Temptation of Lyra *SPOILER*, Jan. 6 2008
Lyndsie Schnoor "Lyndsie" (North Liberty, IA) - See all my reviews
I thought I agreed with everyone that this last book in the series was a complete disappointment. BUT....hear me out, I'm sure I'm not the only one that put down the book in order to really think for a moment(or threw it, as seems to be the case in many reviews since it seems to abrubtly stop without a hint of resolution). Perhaps the last book is so subtle compared to the first two and Pullman actually has a point that isn't spelled out and repeated over and over as many of his ideas in the writing are (the diamond shaped bodice of the mulefa....seriously, did any of you NOT miss that point? <sarcasm>). So, here is what I have deciphered as a coherent meaning to the end of The Amber Spyglass:

Mary Malone's role with the Mulefa IS important because it helps her to regain that feeling that she once had as a child falling in love (through her experimentation and understanding of Dust). She is led to the opening for the dead and is reminded to "tell them stories" which leads her to share this notion with Lyra. Lyra in turn has a "door open inside of her that she never knew existed" which causes her to acknowledge her love for will. That moment becomes the pebble that changes the course of the river (or whatever metaphor you prefer) and Dust, as a concious substance, uses that moment in time as a foothold to save itself. Shaky, yea...but it works. As for the whole "fall" comparison....Just as Adam and Eve are cast out of Eden at the realization of themselves to a life committed to finding a way back into Heaven, Will and Lyra are unable to stay in their "Eden" (being together) after their realization of love and are cast back into their worlds to a life committed to building the Republic of Heaven.

Now, I must say that this is by far a disappointment when compared to the other two books, but only in the sense that where Pullman has been anything but vague or subtle anywhere in the first two books; all of a sudden when you are expecting this amazing battle and armageddon, the death of the creator, resolution, etc. There's silence. Instead, he gives us a moment. One moment that this entire trilogy builds to. Over and over we are reminded that the different worlds exist because at one time when something happened in one, chances caused something different to happen in another and by that moment, caused another world to come into existence. The moment where Will and Lyra fall in love seems like a complete disappointment when in fact it is the only act that changes the course of everything. Anticlimatic, you bet. Annoying, to me at least. Pullman, however, does manage to end things and not leave you hanging you just have to read a little deeper than you had been.
So, I still think the book was a complete disappointment, but only because I desperately wanted a different ending. I wanted more of the characters I had grown to love, I wanted an amazing battle, resolution between Lyra and her parents, Will and his mother, etc. The book itself could never stand alone, yet you need to read it to come to your own terms about the trilogy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Twisted and Unpleasant, March 8 2002
By A Customer
I am a great reader of fantasy books and had heard so much about this series... it was a huge disappointment and I hope parents will read the series before they let their kids read it. (Yes, I am a parent, but NO I do not believe in censorship - just common sense.) Then the parents can decide if it is appropriate. I thought it was garbled, depressing, with a poor story line and plot. Then the end... well that is another story in itself! This author was trying to teach his readers his own belief on death, -and that the judeo-christian belief in the afterlife is one big conspiracy and lie and that the truth is the merging of all things into one at the end of ones life. That is fine, but parents should be forewarned.
On a literary scale, however, the book is part of the worst of the fantasy genre - one of those books that does not have a clear story line or plot, and just seems to jump all over the place. Again, that is fine if you like those kinds of books. I prefer well written sagas like Lord of the Rings, Amber Chronicles, Harry Potter, etc... Those are nice and tight with clear story lines. The only good thing I can say is that the author does create characters with whom you can empathize. Anyway, good luck. I am sure many people disagree with me on this. But I would highly recommend that adults read these before turning kids loose with them, especially anyone under the age of 13.

The Amber Spyglass Deluxe Edition
The Amber Spyglass Deluxe Edition by Philip Pullman (Hardcover - Aug. 28 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.52