5.0 out of 5 stars more than a children's book
This is one of the greatest books I have ever read. In some magical way, this is a book that, through the stories of several very original characters is able to address God, love, maturity, humanity's history and meaning, and countless other wonderful topics. This was more than just a novel to me; it has shaped my philosophy and way of looking at the world. Thos who say...
Published on April 28 2004 by Kyle Laurentine

3.0 out of 5 stars The Temptation of Lyra *SPOILER*
I thought I agreed with everyone that this last book in the series was a complete disappointment. BUT....hear me out, I'm sure I'm not the only one that put down the book in order to really think for a moment(or threw it, as seems to be the case in many reviews since it seems to abrubtly stop without a hint of resolution). Perhaps the last book is so subtle compared to...
Published on Jan. 6 2008 by Lyndsie Schnoor

‹ Previous | 1 2 372 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and now the lion and wolf shall cease., Feb. 15 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
The final chapter in the "His Dark Materials" chronicles and it's a doozy. Leave it to Philip Pullman to come up with the slam bang finale to end all slam bang finales. In this last look at his beloved protagonists Lyra and Will (until he publishes their new adventures, that is), the forces of earth, heaven, and a myriad of different worlds have aligned for a final battle for the destiny of humankind and the fate of life/death itself. Booga booga.
There is some debate as to whether or not this is the weakest book of the saga. The book is filled with vast and complex ideas and new and interesting creatures, but there are a couple questions left unanswered at the end. Why was Dr. Malone the serpent? How exactly did Will and Lyra change the movement of Dust? Admittedly, these questions may be answered in the future. Pullman isn't done with this world yet. Some might say he's only just started, and this book is expertly woven. With additional characters and plotlines mixed and mingled into a big furry series of battles, he doesn't leave the reader feeling unsatisfied. Just a little sad. And after all, isn't that how most good books should end?

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best fantasy books available, Feb. 8 2004
I was thoroughly captivated with Lyra and Will's quest in the Subtle Knife. How can one not be, with the forces of uncounted worlds bearing down on two lost children. At stake is not only their lives, but the life of everyone who is now living, and the soul of everyone who once lived. There are plots within plots, power and betrayal, lies and love and through all of these currents drift Lyra and Will, who incredibly try to ignore all of this and do what they know to be right.
Pullman creates love and brings it out in many forms, and with it some sadness and loss. I couldn't imagine how he could pull all of the different stories together and tie them up, but he manages without ever being untrue to his characters. Thinking of some parts still threaten to bring tears, but there is also so much happiness.
Adults everywhere should be giving these books to their children, and sneaking them back to read at night. There's more wonder and delight here than in all of the Harry Potter books, and more humanity than Rowling will likely ever write. This is the series that we should be talking about.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Amber Spyglass: Philip Pullman, Jan. 30 2004
By A Customer
"'Ghosts,' she whispered. 'This is where they all are, every one that's ever died...'" Lyra Silvertounge whispers this as she and Will Parry, her companion, stumble upon the world of the dead, where they discover what really happens when you die. At the same time in another world, Lord Asriel and Ms. Coulter, Lyra's parents, in their rebellion against the church, uncover what God, the Creator, really does. While all this is happening, Mary Malone, a scientist, creates an amber spyglass for people to see Dust, which is regularly invisible. Dust is what gives wisdom and meaning to everything everywhere, and that is why Lyra, Will, Lord Asriel, and Ms. Coulter are searching for it.
I absolutely loved this book. It's an edge of your seat thriller jam packed with tons of exciting events. Philip Pullman makes it seem as if you're actually in the story. You can feel the pain when Lyra gets hurt, and it's hard not to cry out when her soul is brutally ripped out of her body. Time and pages seemed to tick as one and I found myself on many nights reading until 10:00 and 11:00pm! If you read this book, you will be sucked into Pullman's rabbit hole, and there's no way out.
I recommend this book to many people, but especially to those who like to read fantasy or mystery books. I would recommend this book because you just can't seem to put it down, no matter the situation. Don't let the 518 pages scare you' it is definitely worth reading through each one!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Amber Spy Glass, Jan. 22 2004
By A Customer
"' My child! My daughter! Where is she? What have you done? My Lyra- you'd do better to tear the fibers from my heart- she was safe with me, safe, and now where is she? `" Think of two children, about thirteen years old, having to do a task that is full of danger, surprises, and unexpected mysteries. Lyra and Will, the two children, don't even know how big and important their task is. They have to enter the world of the dead and try to help the dead ghosts to get out so they can live a happier after live. Their path is always hidden from them, and if they fail, the world fails with them. Will they make it or will they fail? In this excerpt above Lyra's mother notices that her daughter got kidnapped and someone is planning to kill her. What will happen next, or will Lyra get killed is the big question now!
I think this book is amazing. It is intriguing from the first sentence on. I couldn't put it down. Each chapter let me hang so I wanted to read on and on. Sometimes it felled like I was actually in the book. Lyra is such a brave character. I don't know how she does it, but she is so brave in the scariest situations. One time when she was about to fall of a cliff she kept a clear mind and rescued herself with that. I could never ever do that.
If you like entering different worlds, and not knowing what's next, this is the best book for you to read. This fantasy lets you enter so many different worlds that you will not be able to choose which one you like most. I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone from the age of 11 years on and up. I also recommend it to anyone who likes a lot of fantasy, and has a lot of imagination. Reading the first and second book of the Dark Materials trilogy first would maybe help to understand this one better.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Was Great!, Jan. 14 2004
By A Customer
The Golden Compass was incredible, Phillip Pullman rapped up this trilogy with style. His depictions of events are stunning. He really puts thought and imagination into the fictional characters and fine-tunes the cultural diversity of each one. Pullman I think came to deep into the Christian religion but I don't want to give away the story. To tell more about the book, it's the third book in the His dark materials series. The second book, the subtle knife ends abruptly and the amber spyglass begins right where the second book ended the later half of this book is mostly a race between Lord Asriel and the church to gain the subtle knifes power, it has the ability to cut any object and even cut a hole between worlds. By the end of this book Lyra has fulfilled her destiny and Will has finally found his father. Also Lord Asriel and Ms. Coulter have united and died protecting Lyra. For more about the characters, Lyra is a 12-year-old girl that carries the famous alethiometer, which can answer any question if you understand it she cant trust either of her parents, lord Asriel and Ms. Coulter.
Will is also 12 and carries the infamous subtle knife that can cut through anything even make gaps between worlds. Wills conscience is ripping him apart after he killed a man by knocking him down the stairs. Lord Asriel is Lyra's father who doesn't care about Lyra he made a bridge to heaven using the force that comes from separating a child from his soul and is creating a heavenly army to destroy the authority and the church that worships it. Ms. Coulter has a high position in the church, is Lyras mother and is completely against lord Asriel. She tries to protect Lyra but Lyra is frightened of her.
The book is 518 pages long, the genre is fantasy and it was published in the year 2000 I really enjoyed this book and I think its for people 10-16
who like adventure or fantasy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not as i had imagined, Jan. 8 2004
This is LIKE a spoiler page, but i kept some things hidden, such as the things that are most important, so i may give away something you dont want to know about. In any case, they will have names attached so you may just skip down.
THESE ARE MY OPINIONS
first of all, id like to begin by saying that i loved the first and second books to no end. They were wonderful.
secondly, i thought this book was not as good because I really like Ms. Coulter and what happens to her at the end made me want to stop reading altogether. next to this I want to talk about the deaths. I think too many people died here, and I am one for happy endings.
thirdly, I dont think they make it very clear about what Lyra has to do just as Eve. I think this was very misleading because they say that Mary Malone will be a temptress, and you're waiting for her to be tempted but it never happens.
THIS BOOK Is VERY SAD IN THE END, which made me think differently of it.
THIS IS WHAT THE BOOK IS ABOUT
well, this is really about Lyra doing what she is guided to do to help other people. She will face many obstacles, but she sees that a lot of people are on her side. She is going to give many people happiness, but will not gain as much for herself. She will come to love someone as her soul mate, and loose someone as her greatest friend(This will\may change later on).
mary will do whatever she wants to do, basically. Lord Asriel and Ms. Coulter will come together in two ways you would never dream of(which one of these that i mentioned earlier, i did not like). The other one is their deep love of Lyra, which was great, but would have been better if Lyra knew about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome Book, but, Jan. 4 2004
I must agree, Pullman does preach. And unlike some people who preach Christianity with zaelotry, he preaches against Christianity. I can't say I disagree with him too much, because of my beliefs, but nevertheless, it's obvious what Pullman's message is without the constant preaching and it does get uncomfortable a few times.
A few moments also left me disappointed. One would really think that Father Gomez could so much more, and I was expecting with dread what was going to happen and then all of a sudden, it's all over without much effort. That part was a little unconvincing.
The ending also left me longing for more. After all the stories put together piled up in the end and you were just awaiting that climax... and then it was over. The ending of the story could've suited one book separately. But the greatness of the seriest was kind of swallowed up by the unoriginality of the finale. Of course, it was dramatic and Pullman's writing nearly drew tears out of my eyes (and I'm not the touchy type either), but despite it all the ending seemed unconvincing.
That is why I gave this book 4 stars. But those few moments, only 10-20 minutes of reading in total were nothing compared to the thrill of the rest of the story. Every chapter was great and I could hardly find a place to stop, so I had to stay up until 4 am, 5 am, 6 am (luckily, it was Xmas vacation), the last night of my reading I didn't even go to sleep to finish off the book.
Pullman says he got his ideas from a multitude of other books. Well, perhaps. But the originality with which he put this world together, with which he created something so totally different and yet so totally the same (a make-like), is genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very beautiful and sad, Jan. 1 2004
The Harry Potter books are way over-hyped. People seem to think that JK Rowling's cornered the market on good children's fiction. If all her faithful readers would just try something else, they would find that many other authors are capable of crafting rich, vibrant worlds suitable for young and old alike. I have had greater enjoyment reading His Dark Materials.
These books are certainly darker than usual Hogwarts fare, with mutilation, torture and death in plentiful supply. It also wrestles with complex concepts like religion and love (But bear in mind that we've been underestimating the ability of children to handle heavy issues for far too long). The characters are also far more complex than the staple gang of witches and wizards in training. Pullman's people refuse to be pigeonholed and display ever more intricate motivations and emotions.
The plot seems a little rushed, with Pullman scrambling to tie up all the loose ends. Scenes like the epic war with heaven that's been building up over the trilogy have been given short shrift. That said though, the book is a touching capstone to the odyssey of two children and displays incredible insights into growing up and the end of childhood innocence.

4.0 out of 5 stars neat book, Dec 3 2003
By A Customer
I found the book The Amber Spyglass, by Philip Pullman to be really exciting. It is a mixture of fantasy and adventure. The reason why I chose this book is because I enjoy fantasy because it can take you to places that you have never even dreamed of. One of my favorite quotes is "because he is Will" on pg. 82, because it shows the trust Lyra has in Will and she knew that he was going to save her. Together they can accomplish anything. It shows they make a really great team despite the people who are after them, and the question about the thesis of what dust really is.
One of the themes in this book is never give up and you can go far with teamwork. I definitely agree with the theme. I think those are some really good pointers for dealing with life that was put in the book by Philip Pullman. I believe that those are good points to go by in real life. I try to go by them. To me a little team work can go a long way.
In conclusion, I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read fantasy. It really is a book that will take you on a magical ride. I would recommend this book because I think Philip Pullman wrote this book, he really let his imagination go wild. It really captured my mind and made me so I could not stop reading the book. It is a book that is great to read and it is something I am sure you would enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excllent Ending to A Fantasic Series!, Oct. 18 2003
Nicole Maronn (Enfield, CT) - See all my reviews
Phillip Pullman has now become one of my all time favorite authors. After writting the pervious two novels in His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass and The Subtile Knife), I eargerly bought The Amber Spyglass.
With his tradmark flare and skills, Pullman creates a dark, wonderful and tragic ending to his triology. It picks up right where The Subtile Knife left off. From the first chapter on, there's no rear-view mirror on the Pullam car. The War between Heaven and Hell starts and our young heroes learn the vaules of love and loss, good and evil, and the most important aspect, the complex characterzation of man.
There are no words that can describe how excellent and rewarding this series is. You just have to read it for yourself! And good news for all us His Dark Materials junkies: The long-awaited "Lyra's Oxford" will be availble toward the end of this month. We will get a first-hand glance at Lyra's new life after the Triology and a detailed look at Pullman's fictional Oxford.

‹ Previous | 1 2 372 | Next ›

The Amber Spyglass Deluxe Edition
The Amber Spyglass Deluxe Edition by Philip Pullman (Hardcover - Aug. 28 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.17