4.0 out of 5 stars This is a difficult one...
Published on Jan. 11 2004 by Amanda

2.0 out of 5 stars eh...
I just finished collecting all of Johanna Lindsey's books and picked this one up to read despite the bad reviews because I wanted to read all her books, even the ones that are not as good.
Published on Oct. 13 2003 by allie-kat

1.0 out of 5 stars A Captive Bore, July 3 2004
Dakota "daxydakota" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Johanna Lindsey novels and have read them all, but I must admit that "Captive Bride" really sucked. In fact, it is worse than "A Pirate's Love," which is pretty damn terrible, but at least "Pirate" is so terrible it's funny. "Captive" didn't even have a spark of wit, intentional or otherwise.
So what is wrong with "Captive Bride"?
1. For starters, it took me a week to read it. A week! In contrast, I read JL's superb "When Love Awaits" in 3 hours. I even read "A Pirate's Love" in 2 days, and I thought that was pushing it. But a week?!? The first few chapters of "Captive" are VERY boring. Most of it is spent on stupid dialogue like Christina asking the servants for a bath or in dumb topics like brushing her hair or getting dressed. Nothing of interest happens until Philip steals her in the middle of the night and drags her halfway across Egypt to be his love slave.
2. All the characters are wooden, with perhaps the exception of Tommy, who surprised me by screaming like a baby in the end. JL can't even keep her characterization straight. For instance: one second, Philip claims he won't marry, the next he's proposing the moment he meets Christina. Hmmmm. And WHY does Christina weep over the old sheik's death? I didn't notice anything worthy about him. After all, he was all for Christina being kidnapped. And she likes him????
3. "Captive" is a first novel. That's not to say all first novels suck. But I'd hazard a guess that if someone tried getting this published today, they'd be laughed at - if the editor ever made it past reading the first three sentences.
I strongly urge you to NOT read "Captive" unless you are dead set on curing insomnia. If you are new to Lindsey novels, then I would suggest you read "Savage Thunder," "Once A Princess," "Warrior's Woman," or "A Heart So Wild." Or, if you need a good Arab romp, read Lindsey's "Silver Angel," about an Englishwoman sold into a harem. You won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a difficult one..., Jan. 11 2004
This review is from: Captive Bride (Unbound)
As my title states, this is difficult. To credit Johanna, for a first novel, it was quite amazing. I have never read a book that invoked such hostile feelings within me towards Philip and pity towards Christina. And I read a review from someone who loved the book and seemed to think that because they were in Arabia, it meant that the spanking scene was not degrading. Let me just point out (if someone already hasn't) that Philip was raised in England as a gentleman and spent most of his life there. His character seems to contradict itself throughout the book. I did enjoy the last half much better than the first. However, I found the character of Philip very difficult to warm to, even at the end. He was written to be a very pushy and arrogant man, probably intentional, but he didn't change even when he realised his love for Christina. I did find this book hard to put down, but I have to say that if this were a real life story, Christina would be in for a tough marriage where her husband would be telling her what to wear, where she may go and what she may do. And she probably wouldn't even realise it. It did seem to me that although Philip may love her, he is a selfish person and would suffocate her personality as he did throughout the book. I am sorry, but I dispise men- and women!- who are all me,me,me. And that discribes Philip's character perfectly. In his own words: "It's what I want that matters" (sorry if I've misquoted) Please, Christina, pick up those scissors again! Seriously, though, it's a love/hate book and I will definately be keeping it on my shelf as much as it annoys me. Sign of a brilliant writer. I gave it four stars because although I didn't really like it, the writing flowed, the dialogue was excellent and her writing voice was strong and unwavering. It made me feel, whether good or bad doesn't actually matter, but the very fact of it makes me believe that it does desever those stars. If the character of Philip improved a little more, at least when they were back in England, I would have given it top marks. A very good bad book.

2.0 out of 5 stars eh..., Oct. 13 2003
allie-kat (N.B., Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
And... well... I did find it to be a good story I guess... the plot had a lot of potential, BUT I read it through and didn't find myself caring much for any of the characters. They had absolutely no depth.
It was written almost in a rushed way with barely any communication, conversation or in-depth storylines. It didn't make me laugh, cry or feel for Christina and Phillip in any way.
I knew that I probably wouldn't love the book since it was one of her earlier works, but truth is that I didn't even like it a little bit. I was just trying to get through it.
I hated Philip, even from what little I learned of him. I really didn't understand his nastiness or what motivated him. I didn't feel that he loved Christina, but only wanted her for his own selfish reasons, not caring in the least that he had taken her from everyone she loved and that she was grieving about this.
Christina hated Philip in the beginning and I just could not understand what on earth changed her feelings to love... He didn't seem worthy of her love or her respect. It didn't seem very realistic at all.
Anyway, I'm glad I read it because it is one of Johanna's and I will read the rest of her books because I know she has some great ones in the collection. It is kinda hard to believe that the same author wrote this and Prisoner of My Desire... What a difference!

1.0 out of 5 stars I am an avid reader of Lindsey and this is her worst!, Oct. 8 2000
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
I have always believed that romance novels deserve as much appreciation as any other genre of books, however, this particular romance novel does not fit under that category. The heroine has no real personality, the hero is so unlikable, and the storyline is so farfetched and rushed that I actually ended up throwing this book in my trash can after finishing it.
I must say that Lindsey has never disappointed me so much as she did with this novel. However, I will always be a Lindsey defender because of her remarkable Malory series, in particular Gentle Rogue. That novel is definitely in the top ten romance novels ever written and her skill is entirely evident throughout every moment. It is the only romance novel that has ever made me actually yell out loud along with the gales of laughter. Truly a unique experience, however, if you're searching for a standard romance novel with no real substance, then by all means buy Captive Bride. The only time anyone could ever coerce me into reading it again would be to save my very soul, and even then I'd probably fall asleep before I ever came near the end of the first chapter.
My sincerest apologies to anyone who reads this.
And Lindsey, if you read this review, please keep in mind that a great many of your novels and your skill I hold in the highest regard. This one simply does not hold up to what I know you can accomplish.

3.0 out of 5 stars not too bad, July 9 2002
This review is from: Captive Bride (Audio Cassette)
This was one of the first romance novels that i read and so i got quite hooked up. I muz say that it has certain entertaining elements like the adventure, the setting, etc. But now, after reading many other books, i find that this one is juz a typical romance like others: gorgeous hero&heroine, an unoriginal plot (Lindsey let her heroines be abducted and raped in many of her works!!), a big misunderstanding , the main reason of which is that those people juz can't open their mouth to admit their love. The characters are not so believable, Christina can easily fall for Phillip despite his brutish behaviour and foul temper. I cant help but feel that she falls bcoz of his good look and great sex, perhaps a teenage girl with crazy romantic notions may be a more suitable heroine.
On the whole this book is not so bad. juz keep in mind that u r reading a typical romance book, not an outstanding one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captive Bride, Jan. 8 2000
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
Well I have to say I read this book back in 1986, I found it outstanding. I found the book to be so great that I have read it ever year since 1986, maybe sometimes twice a year. The book was well written. I do agree with the fact, I do not like the way Philip makes Christina felt in book. But there chemistry is great. But I can not condemned a well-written book. I also must say her books have even gotten better through the years. I can not make you read everyone of her books, but I can ask you to give it a try. I say If you like romances to aleast give this one a try. Lets say her books differ from all other romance novels. Believe I have had this book so long the cover differs from what they sell now. I have the original dark blue cover with the characters on the front. Again five stars..........Just try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars extremely good, Aug. 18 2003
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
For all of you other revieweres who thought this book was awful, let me tell you something - YOU DON'T KNOW A THING ABOUT ROMANCE!!!- b/c this book had one of the best plots I've ever seen in a romance book. And to the ppl who complained about Philip, it was like Arabia or something for Christ's sake; they have different traditions there, it's not thought as "degrading" when a man spanks his wife. I mean, come ON ppl!
I thought this book was great and was exceedingly good for someone's first book. You can kind of tell when you read it, b/c if u have ever read any other of JL's books, you know that she usually puts in a thorough description of the main characters, and it wasn't so in this one. However, I thought all the characters were more than satisfactory and everything was great.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey has written *much* better, March 31 2000
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
I would consider Lindsey one of my favorite historical romance novelists, but this is /nowhere/ near her best work. I couldn't even get beyond the first few chapters, because it was so choppy and abrupt. She's capable of writing some dynamic characters and some emotional stories, but I just didn't get that from this.
I practically got whiplash from the jumps of logic and story, and she doesn't ease the reader into getting to know the "heroine" of the book before presenting the predictable qualities laid out on the table. And without having a good sympathetic grasp on the leading beau, his actions seem demented, not appealing.
Frankly, even with as much as I normally love her books, it wasn't worth what little time I put into even starting the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply HORRIBLE!, June 6 2000
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
Thank Goodness I have read other Johanna Lindsey books and know her capabilities, or I should question her publisher's sanity in publishing this. I couldn't relate to the characters at all; Christina starts out hating Philip, then he whisks her away to the desert and in about one day's time, she's violently in love with him. Philip has no redeeming qualities, he comes off as selfish, arrogant, and cold. And the plot...well, let's just say it leaves much to be desired. I couldn't finish the book, it was THAT boring, completely devoid of suspense, passion, or love. If you want to read Johanna Lindsey, read Tender Rebel or Gentle Rogue, don't bother with this one...otherwise you might never read her books again!

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst book i have ever read, Sept. 9 2001
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading some of your reviews, I wish I would never have even picked this one up! To actually think this book is romantic is unbelievable! Some better adjectives to describe it? Asinine, farfetched, tortured, and just plain terrible! The characters are ludicrous and difficult to relate with. The hero of the book is a rapist who continually rapes and beats this poor woman, who actually considers herself lucky! Feels more like a Jerry Springer episode than a romance novel.
I have read some of her other books and cannot believe this one actually got published.
Where are the women's rights groups? Shame on anyone who might think this twisted relationship is romantic on any level!

Captive Bride
Captive Bride by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1977)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89