4.0 out of 5 stars A Sexy pirate and a not so willing lady!
Published on May 28 1999 by CastleCelt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not A Favorite
Published on Dec 27 2003 by Blu

2.0 out of 5 stars Not A Favorite, Dec 27 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
Johanna Lindsey has been a favorite author of mine since I first read, "Say You Love Me". I've taken in to consideration that this book is supposedly one of her earlier writings. All in all, the book was a fair read. The plot was interesting enough but I soon tired of the interaction between Tristan and Bettina. Granted, a lot of readers were turned off by the whole "rape" thing but having been made an avid reader of historical romances after reading "The Flame and The Flower" and "The Wolf and The Dove" by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, I was able to understand that this was a theme found in quite a few romance books written during this time frame. What did bother me was that, unlike the characters in the novels I mentioned before, most of the interaction between the two main characters in this book consisted mainly of rape and the author didn't seem to take the time to show how the two developed feelings towards one another as time went on. It was more like..."I'm going to rape you." "I hate you." "I'm going to rape you". "I hate you." "I'm going to rape you." "I think I may be falling in love with you." WHAAAT???
The storyline has enough to keep you reading but one reading was enough for me. I'll not likely be pulling this one out of the bookcase again any time soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars So dumb it is funny, June 21 2004
Dakota "daxydakota" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
This is Lindsey's second novel ever written, and it shows how poor of a writer she was back then (makes you wonder how she EVER got published). The plot of the story is British privateer (pirate) Tristan spies the beautiful Bettina on her ship as she sails from France to St. Martin in the Caribbean to marry her betrothed. Tristan, of course, wants her for himself and steals her away. The rest of the story is rape, escape attempt, rape, escape attempt, rape, escape attempt, and then they fall in love. When I read this 10 years ago or so, I was pretty outraged by the whole thing and hated this book with a passion. So I was rather reluctant to re-read it, but since I'm now re-reading all my Lindsey's, I figured I'd suffer through this story, then move on to an outstanding JL romance, like "Savage Thunder." Little did I know that, instead of being upset all over again, I matured enough to realize this book is just a good example of poor writing and, quite honestly, it is so dumb and so bad it is actually quite funny to read. I mean, Bettina actually stomps her foot in anger -- like every five pages. Not only that, but how many times can she get her clothes ripped off her?!? Worse, every time she escapes, she runs into somebody who also wants to rape her (therefore, making Tristan the lesser evil among the rapists)! Throw in cheesy dialogue and overall ridiculous characterization (Bettina is so-o-o-o innocent she doesn't even know what "rape" or "making love" are at the beginning of the book), and you've got a great book to laugh at. The only thing good about "A Pirate's Love" is the urge it gives you to visit the Caribbean. If you want to read a seafaring JL romance, go with "Gentle Rogue" or "Magic of You." They are a trillion times better than "A Pirate's Love."

3.0 out of 5 stars it wasnt the worst book, May 30 2001
"candcs" (kenner, la United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
i liked the book,enough to finish it. it wasnt the best of her works, but not the worst (so far). tristin did treat her badly, but i believe that is how it was back then, but toward the end they fall in love with each. the ending saved the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a typical lindsey, March 9 2001
Samantha (London,England) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
To be quite honest, the book had potential. The only thing that would have made this book a 4 or 5 star would have been if the hero didnt keep on raping the heroine. I didnt quite understand its purpose. I mean, people find rape repulsive, not sexy. This is definitly not a typical Lindsey book. Even though this book was much of a failure, I still continue to read her other books. We also have to keep in mind that this was one of her earlier books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Sexy pirate and a not so willing lady!, May 28 1999
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading all the bad reviews i had to read this book myself. I can't belive they didnt like the book. I really enjoyed this book. Ok so the heroine wasnt verra strong. She gave in a lot. But that is life. Everyone is NOT strong. She did have quite the temper though<g> Basically, its about a noble girl from France setting sail to marry a count she has never met. She is abducted by a pirate who wants her verra badly. He falls in love with her but doesnt know it. She does the same but tries to escape him numerous times. It has a few sub plots that are suprising. It was a refreshing story to read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey at her Worst, June 26 1998
Ce commentaire est de: Pirate's Love (Hardcover)
I couldn't believe this story. Every few pages I would have to put it down, because it made me so angry. I normally like Lindsey's work, but I can't believe that she actual wrote this. The idea that a woman would fall in love with a man that rapes her continously confounds me. Don't waste your money on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Her worst, Dec 25 1997
H. M. Salamone "Mom in NY" (New York) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been a huge fan of Johanna Lindsay's novels for a long time, especially the Mallory novels. But this book offended me so much that I wonder if I will ever be able to view her the same way. The "heroine" was repeatedly raped by her captor - and it was not the typical sex where the woman has to be persuaded and then it is wonderful. This woman was repeatedly RAPED, screamed through it and had bruises on her wrists to show for it. Then for some reason which is not apparent to the reader, the "heroine" falls in love with her captor. If you are a Lindsay fan, SKIP THIS ONE!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey on Crack!, May 29 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
I, along with many other Lindsey fans, like most of her earlier works. But this one just grossed the hell out of me!
I have read other reviews where people say rape is a standard thing in a lot of romances. Maybe. But what I like about romance novels, is that usually, the man, while aggressive, has a modecum of decency. Meaning, if they know a woman has never been with a man before, they won't just hump on her day and night! The won't just ram themselves into her! But of course, this guy was a pirate, so I guess he had no manners.
This is what went on in 'A Pirate's Love'(by the way, it also went on in 'Fires In The Winter' and 'Captive Bride'). Another reviewer here said it best: 'Bettina was nothing to Tristan but a body to relieve his lust upon'. I never grew to like him and of course, he was never sorry. What's romantic about that?
I have to also say, I didn't feel too much sympathy for Tristan's little 'childhood trauma'. He watches his mother get raped repeatedly as a child, then grows up and inflicts the same kind of pain on a young girl?
A woman wants to feel what the woman feels in romances. There is no way I'd want to be Bettina. I thought the pregnancy was sick and I would've thrown myself in the ocean the minute I got the chance, before some scuzzy pirate put his hands on me again! Like I said in my title, maybe Johanna Lindsey was on crack at the time she wrote this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!, June 17 2004
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is terrible and a total disappointment after reading the books in Ms Lindsay's Mallory series.
I agree with many of the other reviewers who said the brutal rapes in this book are just horrible!
Any woman who gets enjoyment reading stuff like this very clearly needs to get some professional help ASP!

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash!, June 17 2004
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is NASTY and absolute trash!
I thought the whole rape thing was twisted and gross!
Any woman who enjoys it when the heroine is raped, clearly needs to get some help ASP!!

Pirates Love
Pirates Love by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1978)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54