4.0 out of 5 stars This author's other books are better!
This book is not for those who are squeemish about kidnapping and rape as a basis for most of a "romance" story. I had a hard time reading this book but was "compelled" to finish it to see if it got any better. With the amount of kidnapping and raping by the "hero", I felt this must have been the author's one "off" book. All of...
Published on Oct. 26 2001 by BevG

2.0 out of 5 stars Not A Favorite
Published on Dec 27 2003 by Blu

1.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey on Crack!, May 29 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
I, along with many other Lindsey fans, like most of her earlier works. But this one just grossed the hell out of me!
I have read other reviews where people say rape is a standard thing in a lot of romances. Maybe. But what I like about romance novels, is that usually, the man, while aggressive, has a modecum of decency. Meaning, if they know a woman has never been with a man before, they won't just hump on her day and night! The won't just ram themselves into her! But of course, this guy was a pirate, so I guess he had no manners.
This is what went on in 'A Pirate's Love'(by the way, it also went on in 'Fires In The Winter' and 'Captive Bride'). Another reviewer here said it best: 'Bettina was nothing to Tristan but a body to relieve his lust upon'. I never grew to like him and of course, he was never sorry. What's romantic about that?
I have to also say, I didn't feel too much sympathy for Tristan's little 'childhood trauma'. He watches his mother get raped repeatedly as a child, then grows up and inflicts the same kind of pain on a young girl?
A woman wants to feel what the woman feels in romances. There is no way I'd want to be Bettina. I thought the pregnancy was sick and I would've thrown myself in the ocean the minute I got the chance, before some scuzzy pirate put his hands on me again! Like I said in my title, maybe Johanna Lindsey was on crack at the time she wrote this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not A Favorite, Dec 27 2003
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
Johanna Lindsey has been a favorite author of mine since I first read, "Say You Love Me". I've taken in to consideration that this book is supposedly one of her earlier writings. All in all, the book was a fair read. The plot was interesting enough but I soon tired of the interaction between Tristan and Bettina. Granted, a lot of readers were turned off by the whole "rape" thing but having been made an avid reader of historical romances after reading "The Flame and The Flower" and "The Wolf and The Dove" by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss, I was able to understand that this was a theme found in quite a few romance books written during this time frame. What did bother me was that, unlike the characters in the novels I mentioned before, most of the interaction between the two main characters in this book consisted mainly of rape and the author didn't seem to take the time to show how the two developed feelings towards one another as time went on. It was more like..."I'm going to rape you." "I hate you." "I'm going to rape you". "I hate you." "I'm going to rape you." "I think I may be falling in love with you." WHAAAT???
The storyline has enough to keep you reading but one reading was enough for me. I'll not likely be pulling this one out of the bookcase again any time soon.

1.0 out of 5 stars This Pirate Needs A Heavy Yardarm Smacked Into His Head, Nov. 10 2002
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
I was seduced into reading this...this foray into the unpredicatable world of romance fiction by the promise that it was the worst novel ever written. The worst? Not quite. I think Johanna Lindsey could write a state driver's manual in such a way that it would be enjoyable. But this is the story of an irritating little girl who is forced to have sexual intercourse without her consent (that is, rape) with this pirate who needed a ship to keep his ego afloat--but somehow by the last page, they are forever and a day in love.
At least the Lindsey driver's manual would be plausible.
The plot is thrown together cliche by cliche, held together with bubble gum, and easily blown over by the slightest breeze. I mean we've got childhood trauma, childhood trauma II, the wise and gentle nursemaid, the lust for a woman (little girl) because she's the most beautiful creature ever created and nevermind her sour demeanor, the wise sidekick, the nefarious fiance, everything but a petulant pet. I think there's a theme here--Bettina will give her heart to a man she has never met. Unfortunately, this happens only after she's had to give over a lot of other things to Tristan, every man's varsity pirate. Don't mind the characters as there really aren't any--they have as much depth as the print on the page.
On to the big issue--can a woman fall in love with a man who continually raped her? I suppose one could argue that it was the manifestation of fate with a timing somewhat odd to human readers. Maybe one could argue that Bettina was somehow sexually repressed and needed to be taken by Tristan to attain her true womanhood. But please, these arguments are out on a limb. Tristan's treatment of Bettina as nothing but a body to relieve his lust upon is disgusting. Since this isn't the disgusting genre, I'm left to conclude that Lindsey wandered astray with this particular work.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Pirate's Lust Is More Like It, July 27 2002
AmberJaguar (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
This is really the same author who wrote Once A Princess? Ay di mi...
I ask you this...if two cardboard cutout characters fall in the forest, does anybody care?
I find it interesting that some reviewers were mortified by the rape ad nauseam (count me among them) while others couched it as dark romance. The true test of any novel is time. Can it be picked up 20+ years later and still have the impact it had upon publication? Let me get this straight...we're supposed to ignore the whole rape issue because, well, the book was written a while ago, and back then rape was somehow acceptable? Can we get a reality check here?
There was so much wrong with this book beyond the rape and mistreatment of Bettina Verlaine--crappy writing, bland characters, ridiculously quick pacing, false emotions. But I will say that here in 2002, Johanna Lindsey is a fine novelist who has obviously learned a lot over the years. So I pan this particular early novel of hers, but still praise the author for her later work. Don't let this keep you from giving Lindsey a try.

1.0 out of 5 stars Left me with a sick feeling in my stomach, April 18 2002
"angeleyes74" (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
I have always enjoyed Johanna Lindsey books but this one was horrible. The hero was determined to find and kill the man that killed his father and raped and killed his mother. Yet, he doesn't think twice about continuously raping the heroine. I'm not sure where in between the raping they supposedly fell in love. But in the end they are together and the hero never apologizes for his horrible treatment of her or makes any mention to the fact that he shouldn't have acted that way. Has Ms. Lindsey ever known a rape victim? I can assure her they are not filled with a warm, fuzzy feeling when thinking of their rapists. The only way I can forgive this novel, is the fact that it was published in '78, and as far as I can figure, romance novels were different back then. (After all, that was the time of the famous love affair of Luke and Laura, and their relationship started out with his raping of her.) Needless to say, I am going to stick with modern romance novels from now on. And no matter how much I love an author's writings, I am not going to read her early works.

1.0 out of 5 stars A brief summary, June 12 2001
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
The book starts with Bettina finding out of her betrothal. Soon after she is on a ship headed to her betrothed. The ship is attacked by pirates and she and her maid are taken prisoners on the pirate ship. Bettina is immediately brought to the Captain's cabin. The Captain is, of course, our "hero" Tristan. Tristan tells Bettina that they have taken many of her ship hostage and they will be slowly tortured to death unless she submits to him without physically fighting him....
Towards the end of the book, Tristan is fighting with the man who raped his mother and murdered his parents. When this man points out their similarities Tristan responds "I may have raped her,(Bettina) but I did not kill her husband in order to have her, nor did I share her with my crew or kill her afterward. I kept her, and she will bear my child and become my wife." Don't sentiments like that just make you all warm and gushy inside?
This is really a book I would have been much happier not reading. I've read other Lindsey book and enjoyed them. Now I'm hesitant to pick one up with her name on the cover. It surprises me that anyone would think that women want to read about a girl being continually raped and sexually assaulted as fun entertainment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Her Worst Book, But don't give up on her others!, Dec 1 1998
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
Johanna Lindsey is one of my all time favorite authors. This is by far, her worst book. I bought it and read it, because I love and own all her others. I will not read it again, it was so offensive. I just cannot believe that a woman who is repeatedly raped can come to love her rapist. For those who have read this as one of thier first Lindsey books, please do not give up on her. As with most Romance novelists styles change through the decades. This is one of Johannas older books, and, unfortunatley, reflects the writting styles of it's time. I recommend everyone to pass on this book. If you want to read a good book, and an exaple of Linsdey's increadible writting I recommend "Heart's Aflame", "Tender Rebel", "Gentel Rouge", or "Angel". She has many INCREADIBLE books, but this is not one of them. As much as I dislike this book, I still love her writing, and applaude her willingness to delve into different worlds, styles, and stories. All her newer books, are definatley worth reading, and it is great to see the growth of her writting through the years. Johanna Lindsey has earned her title of one of the best romance writers. Yet not everyone is perfect, and this is an example of that truth. Pass on this book, and read the rest.

1.0 out of 5 stars A thouroughly digusting book, May 20 2000
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is one of the worst books I have ever read. I picked it up b/c i'm really interested in pirate stories and now i'm sorry i did. It is about a woman,Bettina, who is captured by pirates and is continually raped by the captain. Since when has rape become an accepted fact in society? I found nothing arousing about Tritan forcing his unwanted, disgusting attentions on Bettina. And I will thank the heavens that i don't have a mother like hers who tells Bettina that she should "go along with Tristan and not hate him. He's doing what's best for her." I find rape digusting and this book is an insult to any good literature. It's like a slap in the face to any woman who has ever been raped. I will never ever read another book by Johanna Lindsay. This woman needs help. I give this book 1 star only b/c I finished it. So please, don't waste your time and money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting, Feb. 3 2003
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Pirates Love (Mass Market Paperback)
In modern society today, do we consider rape sexy or romantic? Of course not! Which is why I say don't read this book. Tristan kidnaps Bettina and gets her pregnant after continually raping her. The only part of this I enjoyed was when Casey showed up and realized Bettina was his daughter, therefore thwarting Tristan's plans to try and get Bettina to stay. Also, I loved it when Bettina planted doubts about her child also being Tristan's. But the rest of this book is disgusting. I don't understand how Bettina can love Tristan after all he's done to her! I would NOT recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusting, garbage- should be called -Rape and Wrath, Dec 3 1999
Jade (South Africa) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Pirate's Love (Hardcover)
I am no feminest but hey - since when is rape aceptable as a sign of love. Tristan was a maliscious rapist who thought he had the right to violate and control woman.Forcing Bettina to become his sex slave just to satisfy his lust , not even considering her feelings . This book was so disguting and frustating filled with hate . I was wondering when was it going to end . The book would have been alright if seduction was used in place of rape , the setting was very good ,but I have never read of such an evil man before as the hero.

Pirates Love
Pirates Love by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1978)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available