5.0 out of 5 stars Memories

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published 15 months ago by Steven R. McEvoy

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Dec 31 2012
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
I need to be completely honest; this was the first of Sachar's books I have read that I did not love. I was really looking forward to the Wayside School books but after reading this one have not bothered with the others yet and they dropped way down in my pile of to-be-read books. Maybe I came in expecting too much, maybe the absurd does not ring for me in children's literature? But for whatever reason this book is towards the bottom of my list of the 120 I have read the first half of this year.

The book contains 30 chapters and each chapter is a different story about Wayside school. Each chapter is also named after the teacher, student or students that are the focus of the story. In the introduction it states:

"Wayside School was accidentally built sideways.
It was supposed to be only one story high, with thirty classrooms all in a row. Instead it is thirty stories high, with one classroom on each story. The builder said he was very sorry.
The children at Wayside like having a sideways school. They have an extra-large playground."

They may like the building and the playground but I did not like the stories. In fact when I went to write my review not a single story stood out enough to comment upon it.

And that is my sideways review of the stories from wayside school!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, July 14 2004
"blackpearl112" (Warner Robins, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This book brings back memories. I used to read it all of the time when I was a child. I would check it out from my school's library almost every chance I got. I had forgotten about this book, because it has been a while since I was in the 2nd or 3rd grade. I'm 22 now. I ran across it while surfing the net and the memories started flooding back. I think that any child would love to read this book and it will become one of their favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars I still remember, July 22 2003
By A Customer
For those that have never heard of this book, I highly recommend it. I am now 23 and I still remember reading and loving that book over 10 years ago. This book is so funny to kids (and adults)and overall skillfully written. It is excellent for getting couch potatoes to do something other than sit there (at least it worked for me).

4.0 out of 5 stars Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Danny Marsh, May 19 2003
By A Customer
Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Louis Sachar is a comical novel about a school called Wayside School that was constructed the oppposite way that it was ssupposed to be .It was supposed to be built one story high and 30 classrooms wide but instead it was built 30 stories high with one classroom on each flor .The kids on the thirtieth flor of Wayside School unlike when they are on the ground are amazingly energetic and yours truly thinks that is what makes this book side splitting

5.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun to read with your young reader, Dec 6 2002
Tad Marshall (Princeton, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sideways Stories From Wayside School (Paperback)
My daughter and I took turns reading chapters of Louis Sachar books to each other, and we both really liked them. The stories are all a little nuts and the cleverness works for both young and older readers. Sachar writes well and the books are all quite smart and funny. Highly recommended for 2nd through 5th grade readers and their parents who like reading with their kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book makes kids laugh a lot!, July 4 2002
I teach first, second and third graders in a Montessori School, and they thought these stories were hilarious and interesting. I, or my assistant, reads the book aloud during our lunch hour, and when we ask the children "should I stop reading now?" they all shout "NO!"

They liked the book so well, that we are now reading another book in the "Wayside School" series. As a teacher I'm always looking for books the children will love. My terrific assistant found these, and they are great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, zany stories kids will love!, Dec 12 2001
Trudi M. Rosenblum "trudirose" (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
My son is only 4 years old, but he LOVES these wacky stories! He frequently asks for them as his bedtime story. I think part of the appeal is that they're not the usual, squeaky clean Barney and Disney stuff - it's more offbeat. For example, his favorite story is about a new kid who's covered up in a smelly raincoat. The teacher removes the raincoat, only to find another, and then another, while the kid makes rude, obnoxious comments. After removing dozens of raincoats, it turns out there's no kid under them at all - just a dead rat. It turns out "dead rats were always trying to sneak into class. This was the third one she'd caught since September." Weird, but my son thought it was hilarious! I'm definitely going to buy the sequels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great time, Nov. 10 2001
Come and sit in Mrs. Jewls class at Wayside School. Just don't be bad or it will get you an early ride home on the Kindergarden bus. I have been reading these books to my 2nd grade class and it is hard to tell who has been laughing more, me or them. Great books full of memorable characters, who will brighten up the day. Just remember the rules, three strikes under the word DISCIPLINE, and you ride the bus. Let the kids (and adults) enjoy these hilarious books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for non-readers., Sept. 24 2001
This book was a great story for my son. It keep his attention. He needs to read a certain amount of books each semester for Language Arts class 5th grade. He hates to read. I have to really search to find books to keep his attention. He loved the small chapters. The different charaters made him stay interested to the end. My 3rd grade daughter also like the book. Both children receive 100% on test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, Funny..., July 4 2001
It opens with children-turned apples turning their teacher, Mrs. Gorf, into an apple and giving her to their gym teacher, Louis (the author) to eat.
Need I say more?
This book is hilarious. I could just see kids I know going to a school thirty stories tall, with a classroom on each side, struggling through torturous mosquito bites, a teacher who thinks you're a monkey, and all sorts of kooky and downright hilarious characters. I could read this over and over. It is so realistic, yet oh so spacy.
I first read this book when I was about seven or eight. I have read it over and over with each of my five younger siblings and it gets funnier each time. Sachar has a way of appealing to all audiences.
Parents, the Wayside school series is the easiest way to get boob-tube obsessed kids to read a good book for a change.
And it is a good book!

ARRAY(0xb31d419c)

Sideways Stories From Wayside School
Sideways Stories From Wayside School by Louis Sachar (Paperback - Aug. 1 1985)
CDN$ 7.99 CDN$ 7.59