5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best
Published on March 1 2002 by Jane Austen

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, pretentious, and too precious for words
Published on April 8 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Best, March 1 2002
This review is from: DARING TO BE YOURSELF (Hardcover)
Alexandra Stoddard is one of my favorite authors and over the last four years since I dicovered her I have been able to collect and enjoy 20 of her books. This one continues to be a favorite. It talks about having the courage to be yourself in aspects from decorating to travel to gift giving. Every chapter is beautifully written and includes Alexandra's tradmark -favorite quotes by some of her favorite authors. (this one made me smile, "Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes." -Henry David Thoreau) This is a book that is so helpful and wonderful to have that I can't believe it is out of print and difficult to get. Luckily, Amazon offers Zshops and auctions. If you love, flowers, travel, decorating, gift giving, hosting parties, or clothes and would like to hear valuable insight on all of these topics - this is a book your library shouldn't be without.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to find your own style., May 26 2000
This review is from: Daring To Be Yourself (Paperback)
Of the thirteen books I've read by Ms. Stoddard, this is my favorite (although I've loved them all). When you read this book get a notebook and answer the questions she asks and when you are finished you will understand YOUR personal style. This book encourages readers to find out what they love as opposed to what is popular or trendy at the time. Have you ever gone into a friends home that perfectly expresses the lifestyle, hobbies, interests and loves of that person? This book is about having what you want with the help of the best decorator ever and the fee is very reasonable! I used to think that the title was kind of cheesy until I talked with several friends who decorate in beige because it's safe-even though they really love purple, lime or raspberry. If you are a purple loving, beige sofa-ed chicken, you really need this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Irritating, pretentious, and too precious for words, April 8 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Daring To Be Yourself (Paperback)
Stoddard's work is a mess of contradictions. In advocating "paring down" to get to what is really important to us, she encourages more buying! Her suggestions and examples are drawn from her life and the lives of her friends - extremely wealthy and very similar to her. If you're looking to find yourself in a way that's inexpensive, non-elitest, and grounded in reality, this isn't the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars close encounter with thyself, Feb. 27 2001
This review is from: Daring To Be Yourself (Paperback)
I think Alexandra Stoddard is one of the best writers! She discovers little things and small details that we don't even take the time to perceive!!!!!! Her books make us feel connected with us and the world and give us a sense of belonging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, helps you focus on how to enrich everyday life., Aug. 19 1997
This review is from: Daring To Be Yourself (Paperback)
Better than Martha Stewart! She makes mistakes and admits to NOT being pefect. Stoddard's questions and advice really help you to pare down and define your own lifestyle

3.0 out of 5 stars I like Alexandra Stoddard a lot, but I'd skip this one., Jan. 8 2003
This review is from: Daring To Be Yourself (Paperback)
This book was okay, but not great. Stoddard's books on interior design are her true forte, and I will stick to reading those in the future.

Daring To Be Yourself
Daring To Be Yourself by Alexandra Stoddard (Paperback - May 1 1992)
CDN$ 21.99 CDN$ 16.05