march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on February 15, 2003
One of my favorite fantasy books of all time was Raymond E Feist's "A Darkness at Sethanon".. Unfortunately, my least favorite book is by the same author in the form of "Rise of the Merchant Prince".
This book is a horrible fantasy book. I wouldn't even call it fantasy. I think history books are more exciting to read. I dreaded every page I read of this book and forced myself to read it because it was part of a series.
If stocks, bonds, commerce, waiting on tables, falling in love, raising a family is something you would like to read in excrutiating detail, then this book is definitely for you.
However, if you like action, grand adventures, sword fights, sorcery, interesting characters, then stay away from this book.
There was not one thing I liked about this book. Feist's worst book to date.
on August 7, 1998
I started reading this book when it first came out, but put it down when I finally grew too disgusted with the main character (Roo) to care about how it turned out (except to hope for his well-deserved death, frankly). The way he treats the people close to him is seedy at best, and repulsive at worst. After reading Feist's much better earlier works (particularly the Empire series), I was *very* disappointed with this entry in the Midkemian saga.
on November 7, 1999
Worst thing Feist has written yet. They'd been getting steadily worse for a while but at least they remained entertaining. This book was a struggle to get through. Erik and Roo are his dullest characters yet. Mindless.
on August 1, 1998
This novel was even worse than Shadows of a Dark Queen; it is an awful work of sloppy writing by a novelist whose success has gone to his head. Grossly inferior to the Riftwar Saga.