5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating
In some ways I love this novel more than Shadows of a dark queen, simply because of all the multiple facets that Feist writes about and noted Knowledgably about. I love the political power plays, the intrigue and just the whole feel of the characters two things I could have wished for in this particular novel, 1) A little more action with Duke James (Nothing wrong with...
Published on Aug. 10 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Just the middle book of the series
Though the book was not horrible, I would say I felt it was a forced reading on my part. It did develop Roo's character more, but quite frankly the reason I read fantasy Adventure novels is to read about adventure, not about how a fictional character makes it financialy in a fictional world. Unfortunatly I do feel it is required reading if you wish to continue with...
Published on Oct. 30 2003 by Javier C. Gomez

2.0 out of 5 stars so -so, Jan. 3 1998
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been reading Raymond E. Feist's books since the Magician, and..
this book is the worst of all.
The main characters, Roo and Erik , I think, are boring. Not exciting as the characters in other books like Pug, Jimmy .
I was disappointed.
To the AUTHOR :PLEASE write about the characters that have good characters, and interesting enough. Since this is a fantasy book, why not follow Prince or King or Magician,
instead of following two very ordinary people.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, The book is a gap in the new saga's story, Oct. 7 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
After enjoyed the whole Riftwar saga books, and started again with 'Shadow of a Dark Queen'(the first novel of Feist's new saga), I was eager to know more about. But this second book 'Rise of a Merchant Prince' is pretty boring, in Roo's tale, the characters don't develop well. The story is a 'domestic one' and not an heroic quest, the whereabouts of Roo in his search of richness are like the bad chapters of 'Dallas T.V. Series' of the eighties.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, Sept. 1 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
I have eagerly followed Raymond Feist's books, from Magician through the Riftwar and onwards. But this book made me wish I had not tried to keep up with this recent trilogy.

The book is like a trashy romance novel, and the way Roo treats his women is contemptuous and without excuse. Feist appears to have wondered what to do in between novels, and this has caused a great rift in my desire to read the first, and my complete desire not to buy the third.

Here's hoping that the next novel returns to form, and that I can once again enjoy the Feist I have come to know and love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but Feist isn't at his best here., Aug. 31 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
I was not nearly as satisfied with the second book of Feist's Serpentwar Saga as I was with the first. Although I enjoyed it, i was much more interested in finding out what was happening with Erik and Calis, rather than hearing about Roo's business enterprise. The role that Roo's rise to power would play in the later stages of the war was quite obvious to me, and I think that Feist should have spent less time chronicling it. I've definitely been glad to see some old friends in this volume, namely Pug, Tomas, and Nakor, as well as some interesting newcomers, and I'm also relieved to see Feist finally putting some closure on that Pantathian thing, but I really wish he would hurry up. This is getting a little dragged out

4.0 out of 5 stars Inrtrigue is what it is all about, April 29 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
Many people feel dissapointed about this book, mainly because there use to large giant battles and adventures, this is not that. this book will really appeal to all those who loved the Empire series, there is Intrigue a plenty to keep you happy. I enjoy a book that makes you think you have it and then twists at the end. A definitive book on the series, a little dissapointed with chracter evoltuion thoug

5.0 out of 5 stars Rivalry, April 24 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
Hello, Fantasy fans. I've been a fan of Fiest for years.
I've read every book he's done and so far this new saga
comes close, to being as good as the first..I highly recomend
this book to any Fiest fan. One question? When's the next book
coming out!

5.0 out of 5 stars A plot twister!, April 18 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike some other reviews, I'm giving this one a 9. The only reason it didn't get a 10 was a slight lack in depth-building of some of the characters. However, this book is not intended to be an epic adventure in the style of _Shadow of a Dark Queen_. This book is about a merchant... making fortunes, facing poverty with every shady deal, thieves, politics, mistresses, and you can never tell who to trust. The roller coaster doesn't come from tides turning in battle, but in business interrelations. (Oddly enough, I learned a good bit about stocks and bonds from this book.)

The book also introduces important elements that will help resolve everything in the final book, _Rage of a Demon King_. Don't expect an "action packed thriller" in the same sense you're used to, though, and you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whets your appetite for more., Jan. 31 1997
This review is from: Rise Of A Merchant Prince (Mass Market Paperback)
This is classic Feist at his best. The sequel to "Shadow of a Dark Queen" continues the exploits of Erik Von Darkmoor and Rupert "Roo" Avery after their battles in Novindus. Erik continues with the Royal Army to fight even breater evils, while Roo becomes a merchant. Unfortunately, it raises more questions than it solves. It's definitely an inducement to purchase "Rage of a Demon King" as soon as it becomes available

4.0 out of 5 stars Feist like he used to be., Dec 3 1996
Largely Entertaining.
Rise, continues the adventures of Roo and Erik after returning from their trip to Novindus.
With a strong warning from Duke James to remain silent about his experiences in Novindus -
as well as a sizeable bonus - Roo leaves His Highness' service
to begin finding his fortune. After a disasterous first venture in
Wine brokerage, Eoo finds himself in the cutthroat world of High Stakes commodity trading.
Meanwhile Erik joins Calis for another dangerous mission to
Novindus and the home of the Pantathian serpent people. Where
they find indications of yet another evil, and this one has begun
killing the serpents themselves?

Like SILVERTHORN in the first series, this book serves to widely
foreshadow, what is yet to come. Introducing several new charcters - Including Duke James 2 grown grandsons -
and catching us up on others, the book is a wonderfull adventure from beginning to end.
For me, I can't wait for Rage of a demon king to come out. Where Mr. Feist has
promised even more surprises.

Rise Of A Merchant Prince
Rise Of A Merchant Prince by Raymond E Feist (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1996)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89