‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is like gold -read it, Aug. 11 1999
This review is from: Next Of Kin (Paperback)
I just finished reading this wonderful book. It realy toched me.It tought me so much about chimanzees and humanbeens our links and conection. It also made me so motivated to do something for these wonderful creaturs wellbeeing. I recomend it to anyone to read it. They will learn so much.Like I said its a gooldbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite books ever!!!, March 12 1999
This review is from: Next Of Kin (Paperback)
Several books have influenced my way of thinking on a day to day basis. Reading this book (in hardcover) has influenced me into animal activism. I cried at the injustices brought out in this book, and realized my inactivity was a stamp of approval for the irresponsible and inhumane treatment of animals that Dr. Fouts has pointed out. I have fortunately never witnessed these horrible abuses first-hand like he has. (If I had, would I be able to sleep?)
He does a beautiful job of creating our connection with chimps and other creatures, and I thank him for that.
HEY EDUCATORS....CONSIDER MAKING THIS REQUIRED READING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read in years!, Feb. 28 1999
This review is from: Next Of Kin (Paperback)
This book is a beautifully written insight into the true nature of the chimpanzee. Roger Fouts shows us that chimpanzees are individual personalities with very human characteristics. The fact that these chimpanzees have learned American Sign language (ASL)is only the beginning of the wonders this book details. From their sense of humor to the touching evidence that they feel fear, sadness and loneliness; this book has changed my life. Everyone must read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Students love it, Dec 4 1998
This review is from: Next Of Kin (Paperback)
I am a freshman at Central Washington University and for my first quarter classes I had psych 101 with Dr. Fouts. Dr. Fouts suggested to us to read his book and I decided to. Boy am I glad i did. This is definetly in my top five favorite books of all time. It's an epic and breathtaking book that I am so glad I had the opportunity to read and talk with Dr. Fouts about it. I tell all my friends and family to read it and I hope others do too. I have never read a book that opened my eyes quite like this one. I wish Dr. Fouts, Washoe, and the rest of the chimps my best of luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars A most compelling and thought-provoking book, Nov. 18 1998
This review is from: Next Of Kin (Paperback)
I read this book in one day, I put aside everything else because I couldn't put this book down. It is one of the most compelling and thought-provoking book I've ever read. The kind of compassion Washoe and Roger have for the people around them has inspired me immensely. I cannot help but tell other people who are not interested in "monkeys" by relating the story of Lucy's behavior in front of a Playgirl magazine! That should be familiar enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chimps ARE our next of kin, Oct. 29 1998
This review is from: Next Of Kin (Paperback)
Roger Fouts presents his heart-warming story of his involvement in the study of chimpanzees and their ability to communicate with humans through the use of sign language. Roger has been involved in this study for over 30 years since he was a graduate student working for the Gardeners, a husband/wife research team who had the idea to raise chimps like human children and to use signs with them.
We soon learn that the chimps quickly acquire many signs and that they can use the signs in inventive ways. According to Fouts, chimps can actually create spontaneous sentences using signs. This means that humans are not the only animals who think and use language.
After reading this book, you will change your mind about animals and you will see that animal experimentation is horrid and uncalled for. To think that there are sentient beings living for years in small cages in order to participate in experiments that ultimately lead to their deaths is unnerving. If this book inspires a few people to actively become involved in helping to free primates and other animals from cruel captivity, it will be wonderful. The book also makes us realize that we are not too far removed from chimps genetically.
Roger Fouts should be rewarded for his pioneering work with chimps. The chimps should be rewarded by humans treating them humanely.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Go Ape Over This Book!, Aug. 23 1998
By A Customer
Words will never express the impact this book will have on its readers. Anyone who cares, even remotely, about animals and about our stewardship regarding them will find in it all the arguments needed to be a convincing and impassioned advocate for the wellbeing of our fellow species.
Not all animals can communicate to the level that our nearest of kin can, but all of them suffer similarly when treated with anything less than compassion and concern.
I think Fouts should receive a Nobel Peace Prize. He has truly "captured" the chimpanzee as no one else has (with the exception of Jane Goodall). Instead of a Nobel, he has received the condemnation of those scientists with a vested interest in maintaining the "status quo" in research facilities, so that "their" chimpanzees are "safe" from Fouts' liberating ideas and will never receive the quality of life that is available to them in captivity when people care enough to respond with kindness and civility.
This is a landmark book. I can't recommend it highly enough. I applaud all those involved in its creation, and hope it will create the ripple in the water that will turn to a tidal wave of reaction and CAUSE the reforms so desperately needed where captive animals -- and their counterparts in the wild -- are concerned.
If you read it, you will never be the same.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Next Of Kin
Next Of Kin by Roger Fouts (Paperback - Sept. 1 1998)
CDN$ 18.50 CDN$ 13.36