5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable and Delightfully Wicked Russian Romance
"Secret Fire" is definitely an eye-opening experience. The writing is explosive, filled to the brim with memorable scenes and outstanding characters.
Published on July 7 2004 by Dakota

3.0 out of 5 stars Politically incorrect historical romance
Published on April 25 2004 by Lealing

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable and Delightfully Wicked Russian Romance, July 7 2004
Dakota "daxydakota" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
It's the story of Russian Prince Dimitri, who sees English aristocrat Katherine on the street in disguise as a maid and decides to have her for the night. His personal manservant Vladimir won't let her refuse, and kidnaps her. From that point on, "Secret Fire" is a breathless romp between two stubborn, passionate people aching to be with one another.
The love scenes alone are original. Yes, she's drugged - but not by Dimitri (at first). However, I've never read anything sexier than what happens when these two are together. Later, Katherine's imperial temper and scathing wit collide with Dimitri's tyrant of an aunt, which results in an absolutely shocking punishment, followed by one of the coolest "rescue" scenes ever (in a kitchen, no less).
I love this story. Dimitri and his "Katya" are hot together, and their story is wickedly delightful and totally unforgettable. The only true criticism I have is that Lindsey spends one or two chapters solely discussing Russia and Russian history, which was not as interesting as Dimitri and Katherine's love lives. If you are a history or culture buff, this won't bother you; if you just want to see the two get it on, it won't hurt you to skip these passages.
"Secret Fire" is one of Lindsey's more risqué and fascinating stories. I highly recommend it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!!, May 5 2004
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
Secret Fire is definitely one of the best romances I have ever read. Johanna is amazingly talented. I especially love her Viking Romances and `corse this one. Dimitri is in my opinion one the 3 best heroes ever created by Johanna, with Royce and Selig. And I absolutely loved Katherine!! Though she isnt a great beauty, she is the woman I can admire. The book is very romantic, interesting, sensual, funny, touching and simply wonderful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Politically incorrect historical romance, April 25 2004
Lealing (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
Lady Katherine St John is dressed as a maid making her way through the streets of London when she is suddenly plucked off the street by a Russian at the order of his master, Prince Dimitri, simply because he must have her. She is unwilling to give herself to Dimitri for any price and therefore the Russian servant drugs her with some sort of date rape drug of the 1800s. Due to the drug, she is in firing need for a man's touch. Enter Prince Dimitri at the rescue to douse her flaming body. After the hot sexual encounter, Dimitri decides that he must return her to Russia with him in case a scandal breaks out. He doesn't believe that she is a lady because she was dusguised in a maid's clothing. Once in Russia, Katherine tries to plan her escape without much success.
I must say the sex scenes were hot although it is slightly scandalous that Katherine was in effect drugged and raped in her first meeting with Dimitri. However, if you can put aside the raping incident, the book is really quite a good read and the interaction between the two main leads is fun. I did find the ending a little bit rushed though.
Lealing

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!!!!, April 14 2004
"ilexir" (Murupara, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
I agree with the person who wrote the review "Hello it rocked". One of the best books i own. I actually have near 10 (i think) books of Johanna Lindsey and this one is my favourite. Excellent chemistry between Dimitri & Katherine. I can't think of any other book that actually throws in a lot of (...)tension, heart-felt misery & despair, to bursting laughter. I do think that if Katherine had told Dimitri the full story of why she was there at that exact moment - it wouldn't have been a great story. Johanna Lindsey ROCKS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Fire, April 7 2004
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this JL book. I cried when she got whipped (The first time I ever cried while reading a book. While Dimitri and Katherine's first encounter may have been a little odd with the aphrodisiac, it was still a good story with memorable characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its great if you take out the drugging/violent aspects of it, Dec 10 2003
D. Nguyen "DkNNy79" (CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed the romance between Katharine and Dimitri. However, I was very disturbed about her being drugged and getting whipped. I really felt for her, but then I was also mad at her, because she handled everything badly. The first time she was drugged, she should've just told him the whole story, scandal be damned. Katharine was supposed to be a really smart individual, but I was just shaking my head at the actions she took. Also, she forgave him WAY too easily!!!! Dimitri needed to suffer in my eyes, as well as his "aunt" who had her whipped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hello, it rocked!, Nov. 26 2003
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, I don't know what book you other reviewers read but it can't be the same Secret Fire 'cause the one I read rocked! Katherine and Dimitri have such amazing chemistry I'm tempted to go to Russia with the hope that I'd meet someone just as fabulous as Dimitri. So I've heard their first encounter described as rape, I'm inclined to think diferently. The only aspect of this book I didn't thoroughly like was the fact that Katherine never completely explained her clothing until close to the end of the book, oh well withouth that tidbit the story wouldn't have been as great as it is. By the by, those of you readers who didn't even finish the book I don't see how you feel justified to report on it when you don't even know the whole story. Think about that. Do whatever you want to do but reading this, i'm sure, will be an enjoyable use of your time. Personally, I'm desperately hoping for either a sequel/prequel or just another story set in Russia. Happy Reading

4.0 out of 5 stars Well, it was entertaining!, Oct. 29 2003
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
Hmmmmm, looks like many people have strong words about this book, mainly disgust and repulsion of lack of moral and resonableness of the plot. The story was a little forced and sort of assumed we would not have a sense of logic to spot the far-fetched plot of the story. Dimitri's behaviour was certainly outrageous, no matter how permissive his lifestyle. Sexual satisfaction or rather, unsatiable sexual need, was the first and most important attraction. But then, we read romance novels for romantic and sexual fantasy. Katherine first had sex with Dimitri because she was drugged and dying with need. Well, it was not morally right. (...) At least Katherine abstained from Dimitri since then till she was drugged again, and Dimitri did not force her, so I gave some credit for their moral and character. But Katherine did not seem as intelligent as she was made out to be, kind of naive in some ways though I found her stubborness quite entertaining to read about. A complaint would be that the ending appeared to be hastily written. To those who complain loudly about the logic and moral loopholes of this book, well, just take the story as a pinch of salt, we read such novels for fantasy, no point killing our brain cells to agonise the sense and sensibility of it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not my Favorite JL book!!, Feb. 27 2003
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
The very first romance book I ever read was JL when I was 13 years old. This book was a very emotional book, but it wasn't a favorite of mine. I found a lot of what happened in the book either very disturbing or it doesn't seem to go with the times. Since when does "no" mean "yes drug me" and How could Katherine return to the "ton" with a baby and no recriminations??Everyone was ok with this?? I understand that this is a book so an author has the liberty to do what they will, but it was just a bit harsh to me. I still love JL and I still love her books. This just wasn't one of my favorites!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgraceful, July 25 2002
This review is from: Secret Fire (Mass Market Paperback)
Drugs, rape, beatings, and the most objectionable group of men you could ever come across make this a novel to be avoided. Appallingly bad taste. It is not excuse that they were living in brutal times, trying to glamorize the hero's awful behavior and dignify it with the phrase 'falling in love' is disgusting. Where is the mutual respect and geniuine commitment? I am shocked and astonished that an author who used to have such talent would stoop so low.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Secret Fire
Secret Fire by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1 1987)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89