Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on July 8, 2001
This book really GOT to me. The only reason I didn't give it one star is because this is Johanna Lindsey, and I usually love her books.
So, let's get down to it, shall we? Some arrogant prince who is too cocky (yes, down there and up in the head, too) for his own good decides that the streets of London is a wonderful place to kidnap a sex slave, so he has Katherine plucked out of the street and brought to his pleasure. Since when did the streets of London become an open marketplace for sex slaves for Russian royalty? I wasn't aware that diplomacy extended THAT far, lol.
This book was too much for me. I know Lindsey has a history of creating males who are gorgeous, strong, and wise (but also arrogant as heck), but usually the male has some qualities to redeem himself. I found Dimitri irritating and too sure of himself.
on November 10, 2000
There are several Johanna Lindsey's that I love, but this isn't one of them. The concept is intriguing, and the writing style is fine, but the characters leave much to be desired. Both the man and the woman were so juvenile and contemptible that by the end of the book I just wanted it to be over. Kill them off or fall in love, it didn't much matter. And then there is also my own personal pet peeve: There was a powerful APHRODISIAC central to the plot. That always drives me crazy, because THERE IS NO SUCH THING. Overall this book struck me as monumentally stupid but not in a fun way.
on February 26, 2003
The very first romance book I ever read was JL when I was 13 years old. This book was a very emotional book, but it wasn't a favorite of mine. I found a lot of what happened in the book either very disturbing or it doesn't seem to go with the times. Since when does "no" mean "yes drug me" and How could Katherine return to the "ton" with a baby and no recriminations??Everyone was ok with this?? I understand that this is a book so an author has the liberty to do what they will, but it was just a bit harsh to me. I still love JL and I still love her books. This just wasn't one of my favorites!!
on September 20, 2001
The characters in this book are interesting, but a little hard to believe. The main character, Lady Katherine, is kidnapped, drugged and basically assaulted by her admirer, a Russian Prince. Yet she amazingly overcomes this, and the fact that she is kept as a slave and is beaten by his aunt. It is trying to be a love conquers all sort of novel, but I personally don't think it conquers the stupidity and lack of human decency of the "hero." Even when you try to shroud it in aphrodisiacs, it is still really what it is.
on July 11, 2001
This book is gross. I don't know, sometimes 'rape' that isn't really rape is sexy in romance novels but it was more like the heroine, Katherine, was debased cruelly. She was a proud, strong woman and the whole thing just seemed....sinful, I guess. I'm generally not too uptight but this book just had me shaking my head.
Good examples of Lindsay are 'Warrior's Woman' and 'Prisoner of My Desire'. 'Secret Fire' just ignited my revulsion.