5.0 out of 5 stars One of the high points of a good series
Published on May 28 2007 by Gary Hussey

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts with a whimper, ends with a bang...
Published on March 31 2001 by Nicole

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the high points of a good series, May 28 2007
Gary Hussey "charos" (Brantford, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: For Love Of Evil: Book Six of Incarnations of Immortality (Mass Market Paperback)
This series has its high and low points, though as a whole I've always really enjoyed it. This book however is likely the peak of this series. Just as readable as my other favorites in the series (On a Pale Horse in particular) without much of the moralizing we see in that book. While Piers had intended only to write 5 books, customer response prompted him to write two last books dealing with the "eternals" of his pantheon (god and satan of course), this portrayal of Satan, not as eternal adversary, but as a thoughtful man trying to do a difficult job is commendable. While for the rest of the series satan is portrayed as a self-interested monster of sorts (with the exception of the fifth book perhaps), in this novel we find a man put into an office which is as reviled and misunderstood as it is necessary, and actually working towards making a more effective means to organize souls. Definitely a highlight of the series, well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satanic Office, July 13 2003
Linda Roberts (Osgood, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Of the seven books from Piers Anthony's Incarnation of Immortality series, For Love of Evil is better than all in the series with the exception of On a Pale Horse. Not to say that it is worse than On a Pale Horse but it is as least as good. For Love of Evil is a thought provoking and finely written piece of work for this genre. I do feel that some area of the book was left sketchy jumping years in advance leaving it up to the reader's imagination to fill the left out parts. But considering that Piers Anthony compacted 800 years into 383 pages it is understandable why some descriptive lead-ins were omitted. Piers Anthony was in top form when writing this installment. He is also an atheist, by his own admission, but has still used a very original view of how the age old deities conduct business.
Piers Anthony's synopsis of Satan, AKA Parry, in For Love of Evil, is not necessarily evil, only evil by the accepted norms of the current society when the office is taken. Parry believes there is much evil in humanity that is none of his doing, and that the persons doing these atrocities slip though the bureaucratic cracks and end up in heaven. By the same turn people are going to hell for reasons that he does not believe to be sound. Because of these beliefs he creates a heaven in hell for these people, and sets out to try and work out a new set of rules with his counterpart who apparently is not paying attention.
For Love of Evil has a storyline that could be read as a stand alone book and the reader would not loose any of the storyline not having read the other six books in the Incarnation of Immortality series. Sadly number seven, An Eternity, was a let down for a series of books that gave us an interesting idea, what if the immortals are just everyday Joe's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad my parents didn't know what I was reading..., Feb. 5 2003
By A Customer
I read this when I was fourteen years old, and it still sticks in my mind- which says something, given the hundreds of books I've read over the years. I still remember the shocking moment when I said to myself, "I like the Devil." Talk about suspension of disbelief. This is a great novel, and Anthony does a wonderful job of creating sympathy for what is classically an unloveable character. I'm glad my parents kept their noses out of my books. I would hate to think what would have happened if they'd read this like parents read Harry Potter.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best one, Oct. 7 2002
This was the best of the IOI series. You are totally into the story. You feel Parry's anguish. Plus he's the Devil so its already interesting. He struggles with his role then he accepts it. Lilith added so much sensuality to the read. The best one I think!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really 4.5 stars, Aug. 14 2002
This book was my second fav book in the series ("With a Tangled Skien" being my first). I highly recomend if you have not read the other books in the series you at least read "Being a Green Mother" before this one. Anthony does a superb job of showing a unique version of satan and hell. I will not get into plot specifics, I dont wont to spoil it for those reading the series. I highly recomend this book to readers of the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of greatest books ever read, May 1 2002
By A Customer
Aside from "On A Pale Horse" after reading this i must conclude its my favorite book in the series. If you read only 1 book out of the series(which i hope you wont) make it this one. Changed my life forever.

4.0 out of 5 stars A difficult subject, well executed, Oct. 22 2001
"foxechick" (Melbourne, Australia) - See all my reviews
The sixth volume in Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series, "For Love of Evil" is the story of Satan. But this is not the biblical story of Lucifer's fall, as one might expect (although there are parallels to the fallen angel theme). In Anthony's magical alternate Earth, Satan is one of the seven Incarnations, offices which must be filled by mortals; and this story is of a man who was once filled with purity and goodness, and who became Satan.
The story begins in medieval France, where Parry, a young man and apprentice wizard, falls in love with the beautiful young woman Jolie. Though evil is rife in this dark age, Parry abjures it and devotes himself to helping his fellow humans and spreading goodness. Then Jolie is tragically killed, and Parry, swearing celibacy, joins the priesthood. Here the seeds of his downfall are sown as the demoness Lilith tempts him into evil with the delights of the flesh. For a man who was once pure of heart, Parry's corruption and subsequent descent into evil is appallingly rapid. At last, he has become sufficiently evil to qualify for the office of Satan- when it becomes vacant. His subsequent adventures prove that good and evil are not always as they seem.
"For Love of Evil" is not just a gripping story; it also reflects the author's philosophical musings on the nature of good and evil. This theme continues in the next and final volume of this series, "And Eternity". After reading this book, you won't want to miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaky, July 30 2001
Wow! This is a great book. The creepy thing is, the more you read, the more you start to *like* Parry (satan). This comepleatly changes your point of veiw toward the other books. When you read them, you know that Satan is wrong and evil and all that. Then you read this... and start to doubt... and by the end your rooting for him!
Oh... yes, and it include my favorit IOM character, Jolie. That's always a plus.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great way to start ending a series, April 1 2001
B. Skeen "dragonsgold2000" (Bellevue, NE United States) - See all my reviews
This was a very well written book with a well thought out storyline. It had the perfect mixture of action, adventure, romance, and even a hint of comedy from time to time. This being a key book in one of the greatest series that I have read. I never really enjoyed reading until I started reading Piers Anthony. Some people have a problem with letting themselves be taken to another land by the story. They pine too much on the style of writing or how the plot is running. If you want to be completely released into a world of amazing imagination, then this series is perfect. This book did not receive a 5 from me because I felt 3 of the other books were more enjoyable than this one, but this one was still fun to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts with a whimper, ends with a bang..., March 31 2001
With Piers Anthony books, I tend to skip parts that get long winded. This book is no exception. I have really injoyed the Incarnations series, though after a while, hearing each character recap the same events got tiresome. This book drags like no ones business in the first 3 quarters, and then gets really cool in the last few chapters. I would have loved to have had the book written entirely about the events in those last four chapters or so, with a little more development. Anthony LAVISHES development on the (to me) less interesting beginning of the book and than kind of wraps it up in 2 minutes. All the same, a unique story line and twisting plot makes it a pretty good read.

For Love Of Evil: Book Six of Incarnations of Immortality
For Love Of Evil: Book Six of Incarnations of Immortality by P Anthony (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1990)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89