5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!
Published on March 13 2004 by Beckabecks

2.0 out of 5 stars What the Heck?!?!
Published on Sept. 6 2002 by mpaynton

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, March 13 2004
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
This book has passion, humor, and beautiful sweeping vistas, what we've come to expect from Johanna Lindsay. I simply love the barbaric planet that she has introduced us to. It's almost appalling the way they treat their women, however, I was left with the feeling that I sure wished it was a real place! I wouldn't mind living on a planet with 7 foot tall toe-headed muscular hotties!
One of the things that bothered me about this book, however, was the "punishment" scene where Challen takes the double shot of dhaya juice. I was left wondering, why doesn't Tedra finish it herself, if you know what I mean? If you're that sexually frustrated with no release, why *wouldn't* you finish it?? **grin** Perhaps she was just too nieve to realize that she could.
Anyhow, that aside, this was definately a great book to read. When Challen breaks down in tears, I thought how awesome it was to finally show that the man has a weakness. I really loved this book and would recommend it to anyone to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensual and entertaining, Feb. 18 2004
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
Setting a romance in a futuristic fantasy world provided sky for the limit to imagination, plot twists and humour. The first part before Tedra appeared before Challen was a little confusing and far-fetched. But the moment the 2 characters met, the sparks and chemistry were keeping the reader well-entertained. It was very sensual. The barbaric rules of Challen's world provided many erotic scenarios for sex scenes, sexual stimulation and sexual punishment. Very tantalising but reasonable from the Challen's point of view in an imagined world. From teasing her sensually while Tedra was hand bounded to the lovemaking to make up for his guilt, Challen was powerful, domineering and tender in his own exciting ways. I like the part when Challen tried to correct his mistake by being as reasonable and tender to Tedra. It is always heart-melting to watch a strong man moved by strong emotions by loving his woman. I enjoyed the verbal sparring between Tedra and her computer Martha, as well as those exchanges between her and Challen. But the rescuing of Tedra's planet part was rather sloppy. It is forgivable since the main plot was the romance. The time, space and foreign elements were just to stretched the emotional threshold of the characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars A big big disappointment!, March 6 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
I will start by saying that I am so glad that I checked this book out from the library instead of actually wasting my money on this really bad book. Warriors Woman is a romance set in the future and I thought that this would be an interesting idea; well I was wrong. The main problem I had with the novel was Tedra De Arr's willingness no matter what the reason to become Challens sex slave. Here is a woman who is an amazing fighter and pretty smart too. So when her planet is taken over by huge male warriors she escapes to find help. She lands on Challens planet and after seeing Challen is over come by lust. She needs his help so the best thing she can think of is to challendge him to combat. She loses and has to become his slave. So after knowing this man for a few hours she has sex with him. Challen and all the men on his planet use sex to control thier women. If they step out of line the men arouse them and then just walk away leaving them "sceaming" with frustration. Okay hmmm... well maybe that works on the women of his planet but why should it work on Tedra?? I just could not buy into the fact that Tedra could be so easily conrolled by sex. She was not a native to his planet and had never been tempted to have sex before. So we are suspose to believe that Challen is so good in bed that Tedra is willing to give up her pride just to have sex with this man? Challen was true cave man in every sense of the word. All the men were and why Tedra fell in love with him I will never know. Everytime they were together it was the same old same old. Challen telling her what to do and Tedra acting like she didn't want to do whatever it was and then sex. They never really talked about anything. Another big problem besides to poor plot was that Challene was a poorly written charcter. He had no personality and was very boring.

2.0 out of 5 stars What the Heck?!?!, Sept. 6 2002
"mpaynton" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
I obviously didn't read the same book the rest of the enthusiastic reviewers on this page did. Yes, "Warrior's Woman" is on my keeper shelf, but for cheap laughs and as an example how *not* to write a sci-fi novel only. For some reason, I have yet to read any review that appears annoyed with Tedra's overuse of the word "babe", or wonders if Lindsey had to pay royalties to Gene Roddenberry for ripping of terms like "phazor" (the alternate spelling makes it ok, I guess). Check your brains at the door, otherwise you'll be wondering how an advanced futuristic society can "forget" about sex. Our feminist heroine is shocked to discover that babies can result from sex--how can that be when all babies are raised in laboratories, created artificially from carefully selected donors?! Speaking of our heroine, no other reviewer seems to wonder why she leaps into bed with her Barbarian Oaf little less than 12 hours after meeting him. That's not to say that Oafie doesn't have some *quality* characteristics, including seeing no reason for females to wear clothes, using the withholding of sex as punishment for "bad behavior" (read "going outside"), and neglecting to tell our heroine that he's stopped taking male birth control (this after Tedra's woeful lack of understanding about sex and where babies come from is made very obvious). Surprise honey! I've decided you should be pregnant with my barbarian child!
"Warrior's Woman" has some funny parts, though after seeing A.I. the idea of a male sex robot (even one written to be funny) just plain creeps me out. Tedra's onboard ship's computer is periodically funny, if you can ignore that fact that if the society that built it knew nothing about sex, it shouldn't be able to amuse us with racy dialog about Tedra and Oafie doing the nasty. I actually thought the funniest thing in the whole book was that "Challen" (Challen?!) was the name of our manly barbarian hero.
In the end, if you can ignore Tedra's grating dialog with anyone from her society, Challen's sadistic tendencies, Star Trek ripoffs galore, and the idea of an advanced society that can't figure out how to reproduce naturally...read this book. If you're like me and can't ignore these things, then read it anyway. You might find the effort more funny than the third-rate end product.

5.0 out of 5 stars *wonderfully FARDEN romantic!!!*, Oct. 4 2001
Pamela Leung "pamahla" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
WARRIOR's WOMAN is the first novel i read by Johanna Lindsey AFTER i finished the whole MALORYS series. And you know what? I don't seem to be getting tired or sick of her writing - anytime soon for that matter! Warrior's Woman was a lot of fun, and carries a very interesting plot! Its setting is in the future and in the past! Kind of a mixture of time-traveling, and displays a cross-difference in culture, due to the interesting time periods Johanna Lindsey has chosen.
The book opens with our heroine Tedra De Arr, in the future setting... to be specific 2139. Lindsey makes a point of describing a lot of high-tech machines, and computers that do all the work for humans...including this really neat concept of a meditech (i think that's what its called) that "gives you a shower" without water, and it only takes 3 seconds! There are a lot of images of the kind of people living in that period, women and men who love to constantly have sex, and people are "born" not naturally though birth but more of the concept of stemmed-cell theory. Tedra works as security, also known as SEC 1, the highest honor! She's really cute, knows a lot of kung-fu and self-defense, and at the same time says the word "FARDEN" a lot, which honestly, i still don't know what it means! A problem arises, their government leader is kidnapped by the enemies, and its up to Tedra to save the day, but she needs help from people from other places, for the security people on her planet are disappearing. What ends up happening, is her personal computer "Martha' (who is absolutely hilarious!) sends her to another, get this, PLANET, which is actually, I would say..."back to the past". The time period... is let me just say is in the pre-historic times. Men are huge and have enormous muscles and fight with swords, and shields, and eat animals, with weird names. Here is where Tedra meets Challen, our handsome warrior! How they meet is absolutely amusing, and how they build their relationship is a delight to read! Moreover how Tedra learns about the differences between her time and the time period she's now stuck in, is entertaining, as well as looking from Challen's point of view. Oh! And of course the best part of all, is how the two fall in love. Especially since Challen is so stubborn and repeatedly says "warriors don't fall in love" is funny, since all he demonstrates is love and caring towards Tedra! And for sure there are a lot of stuff that happens, but i don't want to spoil a thing! All i'm going to say is that Challen goes back to the future with Tedra, and he helps her combat and win over the enemies.
A small warning: there is a lot of descriptive writing in Warrior's Woman, for Lindsey, I'm sure did her best in setting out the images of the different time periods for the reader. One might get bored from all the descriptions, but in my opinion I believed it enhanced the overall story of the book. Hope u Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Futuristic Fantasy, Nov. 19 2000
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
In the future on a distant planet, Tedra must flee her world when it is taken over by an evil dictator and his army of warriors. Her ship, piloted by her clever computer, lands on the warrior's home planet, where she intends to recruit her own army. She finds Challen, a leader of his city, and quickly discovers that this world is not one to accept women in such a strong position. Furious over this predicament, she challenges the warrior to show him her skills, but eventually loses to him. The price for losing the challenge is for Tedra to become subservient to him in "the place where he sleeps" for 30 days. Honorbound, she agrees, never realizing the bliss that this warrior would give her. Now she has only to remain his servant, build an army, and rescue her home planet.
This is a neat departure for Lindsey. This sci-fi romance is fast-paced, exciting, and very humorous. Other than Tedra's occasional chattiness, she was a likable character: strong, independent, and enterprising. Challen was, of course, perfectly formed, strong and tender, although rather chauvinistic which was understandable regarding his setting. A very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Divine!, Nov. 6 2000
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
The thing I like most about Johanna Lindsey's books is that it hooks you in right from the start and keeps you there. A regular hook, line, and sinker. This book is no exception. Lindsey give us what most romance authors rarely succeed in doing. A heroine that is able to defend and fight for herself while still maintaining the air of feminity.
Tedra De Arr, a fearless Sec 1 out in space trying to find help for her captive home planet, Krystan. Unfortunately good help is hard to find, especially if you're facing the barbaric Sha-Ka'ari. But then she stumbles onto a planet that has men as barbaric and handsome as the Sha-Ka'ari.
Challen Ly-San-Ter has no idea how to make of Tedra as she appears on his planet like magic. When their pride clashes and challenges are issued Tedra losses to the fight, therefore letting Challen to claim her for a month.
For one month they are together... oh the troubles and victories they both come upon. This book is a hilarious riot with the everloving Mock II computer Martha at Tedra side, and the barbaric Challen Ly-San-Ter. He must perform his duties, he must issue punishments, but he must also give into the love that he knows that he feels for his Chemar.
Even though this is a science fiction/fantasy/romance, it's worth every minute you take to read this. High Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 10 stars, I would!, June 6 2000
Susan Shams (West Des Moines, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
I love this book. From the moment I started it, to the moment I finished it, I was spellbound. I have rarely been drawn to characters such as these two.
Tedra De Arr and Challen Ly-San-Ter are two of the most memorable people you will ever meet. This is a great Science Fiction - Fantasy - Romantic novel.
This story takes place in the future of 2139 on the planet Kystran. Tedra De Arr, the lovely heroine, is a Sec 1, a law unto herself. She finds her planet being taken over by a barbaric culture of Sword Weilders. A lost race to the Kystrani. She must take action to save her planet before they all become slaves. So she steals a spacecraft and goes to explore the universe for help.
In comes the planet Sha-Ka'an, where she meets Challen, the drop dead gorgeous warrior, who will steal her heart and soul. He is the barbaric sort who must have his say and way no matter what the cost. I must confess, I love his attitude, it reminds me of my husband who is of the same thinking. But you get used to it!
Tedra, never having succumbed to any man before, is outraged. Yet deep down, her feminine side would not have it any other way.
I must say, that I applaud Ms. Lindsey in writing such a book that shows that there is nothing wrong with a woman if she respects and listens to her MAN. Just because a woman were to do that does not make her in any way inferior to him. Women must not always be the strongest and have the only word in order for them to be equal. We are equal no matter what. This book goes about this subject in a delightful way. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Painfully dumb., March 29 2004
Romance Lover "vt2949" (Sacramento, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
This was one of the dumbest books I've read in a long time. The author introduces a supposedly "kick ass" (literally) heroine who's a member of her planet's security forces, who turns into a shrill, bitchy, pain-the-ass when she meets the first man who's ass she can't kick. I was disgusted as Tedra was at turns petulant child and hysterical ninny. I expected to dislike Challen because of his "barbaric" ways, but he actually turned out to be the mature adult in that relationship. I actually felt sorry for him.
On top of that, the sci-fi aspects of this story were pretty pathetic. Tedra is from a plant in a completely different galaxy from ours, yet her speech is peculiarly American: she refers to "humanoids," uses the terms "babe" and "sweetcakes" incessantly, among other things. Science fiction obviously is not this author's strong suit.
In short, I struggled to finish this book. Don't waste your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farden Fantastic!, Oct. 19 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Warriors Woman (Mass Market Paperback)
This book has everything, it is just a magnificent read. It is funny, the plot is gripping, the characters are magnetic, and the love scenes are memorable. It is the first in a triology that includes Keeper of the Heart and Heart of a Warrior. In the last book of the series, Heart of a Warrior, Ms. Lindsey explains all the customs, culture and circumstances of the planet that the reader must ferret out in this and the second book. Therefore, I would suggest reading the third book first, as it would not harm any of the storylines to read this group out of order. It would also make reading all the books more enjoyable. Of the three books, this is the most enjoyable and has the most action. It is amazing that Ms. Lindsey has this incredible talent to write for so many different time periods and cultures in her books. This is an extraordianry achievement, based as it must be, on imagination, unless she was secreted by Martha in Tedra's spaceship!

Warriors Woman
Warriors Woman by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 1990)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.92