5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best....
Published on June 19 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by this Author
I was desparate for something to read on a trip and picked this up. I was under the impression that this was a time travel book and was not very excited about reading it. But I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this. Lisa Kleypas is one of my favorite authors. While this was a good book, my favorit book by her is still "Dreaming of You".
Published on April 24 2002 by P. Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best...., June 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Is it hot in here or is it just me? :-> I just finished reading Prince of Dreams, and it was wonderful. I'd say it's one of my three favorite romance novels. I normally don't care for the time travel theme, but I was so intrigued by the Emma and Nikolas characters in Midnight Angel that I had to read their love story in Prince of Dreams. I read an interview with Lisa Kleypas in which she (probably jokingly) recommended to other authors not to try Russian settings, as apparently these two books were not as well received as her others. That's a shame because this was a simply outstanding book. Both Emma's and Nikolas' characters were deftly drawn, and Kleypas managed to avoid all the possible pitfalls I could see coming in the story line. Mikolas remained a masterful and exciting character while he was becoming sensitive and romantic, and Emma developed and matured in a believable way. The love scenes were very sensual. I was not expecting to like the time travel (or dream) sequence but it fit perfectly with the story. In all, I thought it was one of Kleypas' best stories. I'm only sorry that I'm getting to the end of her back list, and will have to start waiting for each new one to come out!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment to a diehard Kleypas fan, May 4 2004
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I did not like this book at all, and I certainly tried to! An avid Kleypas fan, I was eagerly anticipating this novel, but found it hard to wade through, follow, and got completely confused during the flashback section. While Emma and Nikki are entertaining as the central characters, their relationship and dialogue was not enough to make this a positive experience for me. This novel certainly follows a different formula from Kleypas's other books and I would only recommend it to her devoted fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince of Dreams, April 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
Firs of all I have to say that its one of the best romances ever, at least which I have read. Emma is a really great heroine, so beautiful, so charming. And Nikolas is absolutely stole my heart. Wonderful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars a real story with real characters, July 14 2003
Jennifer White "dezdmona" (Fort Drum, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I know that people read this genre for different reasons. One reason I read it is because it is light reading. But I can't seem to struggle through the stories that are extremely trivial. Like the those who have miscommunication as the main complication. I like real problems!
Prince of Dreams is one with viable problems. And the hero doesn't simply, magically overcome everything because he has met the right woman. Nikolas has some serious issues. And I like that he is typically male. I want the men to act like men. Nikolas wants Emma regardless of his problems. He thinks he can have her and make her happy without facing his own problems and he thinks she should stay out of it. Isn't that male of him?
What is great about this book is that it strikes emotions in you. When he comes home and smells like another woman and the fact that there isn't the slightest bit of remorse in him, I couldn't help but think Emma is more of a woman than I am.
I also like the fact that Emma displays the predisposed attributes from her character in Midnight Angel. She was a spoiled brat in that one and she stays true to form in this one. Until she actually begins to grow up, she portrays the typical only child image. I think it could only have been Nikolas' self-indulgent character to force her to grow up.
The out-of-time sequences were odd. But didn't detract at all from the story. It was a great!

4.0 out of 5 stars The transformation of love..., July 13 2002
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I was really looking forward to reading this book, and for the most part I was not at all let down. Nikolas was really a jerk at the beginning of the book. I mean, he loved Emma, he just didn't know it. But he behaved abysmally towards her. He locked her out of his life, and he treated his illegititmate son Jake like the worst kind of trash. I was shocked by his character, but I knew that Lisa Kleypas would find some way to bring him around, and she really did. His transformation was sudden, and sort of unbelievable, but it fit very well with the magical story that this book was interwoven with. I loved reading about Nikolai's transformation when he was back in Moscow in 1707. His Emelia really helped him to become a new man, and when this book entered its third part, I really loved Nikolas's character. He showed Emma how he cared, and became a good father to his son. The only part that really let me down with this book was the ending concerning Emma's former suitor. I just thought that it was kind of hashed together and didn't fit in very well with the rest of the story.
All in all though, if you love a good romance, particulary one that involves a past romance that transcends all ages, you will love Prince of Dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very moving story, May 1 2002
E. Miller "hdschlampe1" (Ft Myers FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I am an avid reader of quite a few authors and very few books truly touch me but this is one of two that i can honestly say stole my heart. The tenderness of some of the characters along with the inner turmoil of others made this book one that i will never forget. The tragedy was written so well that i sat and sobbed. I will look forward to reading my next book by Lisa.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another great book by this Author, April 24 2002
P. Peterson "slcreader" (Alpine, UT USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Storytelling, Oct. 30 2001
J. Wilson "sonwil" (Santa Rosa, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book!!! It makes most other romance characters pale in comparison to Emma and Nikolas. I also don't usually like the past life/reincarnation story, but Lisa Kleypas pulled it off wonderfully.
Some complained that Nikolas is cruel, and this is partly true but Kleypas also gives you a glimpse into the unresolved abuses and horrors Nikolas experienced and she shows you how it has affected him as a person. He is so bitter and miserable, and he does not know how to cope with his past experiences. When something happens to Nikolas, sending him into his past life, he gets a chance to come to terms with his past and see what he is missing by letting it rule his life.
Emma is an awesome heroine. She is not like other women of her station. She is close to six feet tall and has different hobbies then most ladies like caring for animals. She stands up to Nikolas's cruelty and bitterness, and does not let him bully her.
I just loved this story, it is so different from your average romance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than your average romance novel, Nov. 28 2000
TexasGirl (Fort Worth, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
"Prince of Dreams" is an entire storyline derived from two lesser characters, Prince Nikolas and Emma Stokehurst from "Midnight Angel." If you liked "Midnight Angel" then you will also like "Prince of Dreams." The characters in this story are much more vivid than your usual romance novel characters...even Tasia and Stokehurst from "Midnight Angel" look stiff and artificial compared to Nikolas and Emma. Emma struggles with the fact that she is an untraditional woman and Nikolas struggles with the conflict between his desire to love Emma and his belief that he is incapable of love.
This story makes use of a past life/time travel device that I normally do not enjoy in a romance. However, it is handled well in this story and is an essential plot device for the metamorphosis of Nikolas' character. The past life dream of tragic love of his grandparents serves as the catalyst that allows him to resolve his emotional struggle. "Midnight Angel" tells of Nikolas' arrest and torture. "Prince of Dreams" deals with the resultant emotional scars from both his torture and his torturous childhood. The story follows the inner thoughts, desires and motivation of Nikolas in a way that explains and enlightens his actions from "Midnight Angel" Emma and Nikolas have a much more "modern" relationship than is usual for a romance novel. The author has maintained the character integrity of Emma. She is exactly the woman that you would have expected Emma the child to grow into. You'll read it in one sitting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not that bad, Oct. 20 2000
This review is from: Prince Of Dreams (Mass Market Paperback)
I don't really understand why this book was so poorly rated, but it wasn't really that bad. The only thing which I intensively disliked was the character Nicholas...in the beginning, where he did some very, ahem, un-herolike things. I found myself skimming over those parts in order to get to the end which truly had a HEA and I wound up enjoying both characters. The whole flashback, reincarnation thing could have been cut back on sharply because the way it stands it's like a small novella. If you have nothing else on your TBR pile, find this book, and give it a try. Kleypas at her worst (and this is not her worst) is ten times better than a lot of authors at their best anyways. And like I said, you'll love the ending. I just wish she could have extended the end a little bit and shown more of how tender Nicholas could be.

Prince Of Dreams
Prince Of Dreams by Lisa Kleypas (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1995)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89