Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Mass Market PaperbackChange

on June 19, 2004
Is it hot in here or is it just me? :-> I just finished reading Prince of Dreams, and it was wonderful. I'd say it's one of my three favorite romance novels. I normally don't care for the time travel theme, but I was so intrigued by the Emma and Nikolas characters in Midnight Angel that I had to read their love story in Prince of Dreams. I read an interview with Lisa Kleypas in which she (probably jokingly) recommended to other authors not to try Russian settings, as apparently these two books were not as well received as her others. That's a shame because this was a simply outstanding book. Both Emma's and Nikolas' characters were deftly drawn, and Kleypas managed to avoid all the possible pitfalls I could see coming in the story line. Mikolas remained a masterful and exciting character while he was becoming sensitive and romantic, and Emma developed and matured in a believable way. The love scenes were very sensual. I was not expecting to like the time travel (or dream) sequence but it fit perfectly with the story. In all, I thought it was one of Kleypas' best stories. I'm only sorry that I'm getting to the end of her back list, and will have to start waiting for each new one to come out!
on July 14, 2003
I know that people read this genre for different reasons. One reason I read it is because it is light reading. But I can't seem to struggle through the stories that are extremely trivial. Like the those who have miscommunication as the main complication. I like real problems!
Prince of Dreams is one with viable problems. And the hero doesn't simply, magically overcome everything because he has met the right woman. Nikolas has some serious issues. And I like that he is typically male. I want the men to act like men. Nikolas wants Emma regardless of his problems. He thinks he can have her and make her happy without facing his own problems and he thinks she should stay out of it. Isn't that male of him?
What is great about this book is that it strikes emotions in you. When he comes home and smells like another woman and the fact that there isn't the slightest bit of remorse in him, I couldn't help but think Emma is more of a woman than I am.
I also like the fact that Emma displays the predisposed attributes from her character in Midnight Angel. She was a spoiled brat in that one and she stays true to form in this one. Until she actually begins to grow up, she portrays the typical only child image. I think it could only have been Nikolas' self-indulgent character to force her to grow up.
The out-of-time sequences were odd. But didn't detract at all from the story. It was a great!
on July 13, 2002
I was really looking forward to reading this book, and for the most part I was not at all let down. Nikolas was really a jerk at the beginning of the book. I mean, he loved Emma, he just didn't know it. But he behaved abysmally towards her. He locked her out of his life, and he treated his illegititmate son Jake like the worst kind of trash. I was shocked by his character, but I knew that Lisa Kleypas would find some way to bring him around, and she really did. His transformation was sudden, and sort of unbelievable, but it fit very well with the magical story that this book was interwoven with. I loved reading about Nikolai's transformation when he was back in Moscow in 1707. His Emelia really helped him to become a new man, and when this book entered its third part, I really loved Nikolas's character. He showed Emma how he cared, and became a good father to his son. The only part that really let me down with this book was the ending concerning Emma's former suitor. I just thought that it was kind of hashed together and didn't fit in very well with the rest of the story.
All in all though, if you love a good romance, particulary one that involves a past romance that transcends all ages, you will love Prince of Dreams.
on October 30, 2001
I absolutely loved this book!!! It makes most other romance characters pale in comparison to Emma and Nikolas. I also don't usually like the past life/reincarnation story, but Lisa Kleypas pulled it off wonderfully.
Some complained that Nikolas is cruel, and this is partly true but Kleypas also gives you a glimpse into the unresolved abuses and horrors Nikolas experienced and she shows you how it has affected him as a person. He is so bitter and miserable, and he does not know how to cope with his past experiences. When something happens to Nikolas, sending him into his past life, he gets a chance to come to terms with his past and see what he is missing by letting it rule his life.
Emma is an awesome heroine. She is not like other women of her station. She is close to six feet tall and has different hobbies then most ladies like caring for animals. She stands up to Nikolas's cruelty and bitterness, and does not let him bully her.
I just loved this story, it is so different from your average romance.
on November 28, 2000
"Prince of Dreams" is an entire storyline derived from two lesser characters, Prince Nikolas and Emma Stokehurst from "Midnight Angel." If you liked "Midnight Angel" then you will also like "Prince of Dreams." The characters in this story are much more vivid than your usual romance novel characters...even Tasia and Stokehurst from "Midnight Angel" look stiff and artificial compared to Nikolas and Emma. Emma struggles with the fact that she is an untraditional woman and Nikolas struggles with the conflict between his desire to love Emma and his belief that he is incapable of love.
This story makes use of a past life/time travel device that I normally do not enjoy in a romance. However, it is handled well in this story and is an essential plot device for the metamorphosis of Nikolas' character. The past life dream of tragic love of his grandparents serves as the catalyst that allows him to resolve his emotional struggle. "Midnight Angel" tells of Nikolas' arrest and torture. "Prince of Dreams" deals with the resultant emotional scars from both his torture and his torturous childhood. The story follows the inner thoughts, desires and motivation of Nikolas in a way that explains and enlightens his actions from "Midnight Angel" Emma and Nikolas have a much more "modern" relationship than is usual for a romance novel. The author has maintained the character integrity of Emma. She is exactly the woman that you would have expected Emma the child to grow into. You'll read it in one sitting.
on February 15, 2000
The book was all right. I disliked the character of Nikolas from the very beginning and couldn't fathom how traveling back into the past could've manages to effect such change in him. But let's not forget Emma, who was too head-strong for her own good and was blind to many things.
The back cover blurb reads: "A wealthy and bitter exile, the most dangerous and desirable man in all England, he burns to possess a proud, headstrong beauty who is promised to another. But winning Emma Stokehurst's exquisite hand though threats and determination does nothing to fill the empty spaces in Nikolas's heart--until passion's magic carries the handsome, tormented prince back to a bygone era of splendor and romantic dreams. For there his destiny awaits him in a distant life. And in one remarkable woman's tender touch--achingly familiar but gloriously new--he must seek the elusive promise of ecstasy...and learn, at last, to love."
PRINCE OF DREAMS is the story of Emma and Nikolas, who first appeared in MIDNIGHT ANGEL.
on May 24, 1999
This is a story not to be missed! Lisa Kleypas' gift for searching the emotional depths of the human heart is to be savored in the tale of Emma Stokehurst and Prince Nikolas. It is the tale of two people who loved in another lifetime and whose lives came to a tragic end. Suffering from the wounds of that cruel lifetime and his current one, Prince Nikolas has locked his heart away. But when he is transported back to the past - to remember their life and love as it had been (not to indulge in an incestuous relationship - he was remembering, not actually there) - he remembers the woman who taught him love and forgiveness. When he comes back to the same woman - in his current lifetime - he remembers her lessons and strives to start anew with her and the son he'd denied. But he must earn their love and trust and pray that Emma is not taken from him once again...An incredible story!!!
on June 4, 2000
I was not sure what Kleypas was reaching for when she wrote this book. I have to agree with some of the previous comments about both characters. There was nothing likeable about either one. He was too everything to show any sort of vulnerability. She was too prissy to root for. I read about halfway through this book and decided to reread "Someone To Watch Over Me." I have read all of Kleypas' work and I feel she is hit and miss with many of her books. I usually really love the book or hate it with a passion. Unfortunately this falls into the latter category. I recommend "Dreaming of You," "Someone To Watch Over Me, and "Somewhere I Will Find You." Her first two - "Where Passion Leads" and "Forever My Love" are also quite good. Her other books fall into the so so or blah category.
on October 20, 2000
I don't really understand why this book was so poorly rated, but it wasn't really that bad. The only thing which I intensively disliked was the character the beginning, where he did some very, ahem, un-herolike things. I found myself skimming over those parts in order to get to the end which truly had a HEA and I wound up enjoying both characters. The whole flashback, reincarnation thing could have been cut back on sharply because the way it stands it's like a small novella. If you have nothing else on your TBR pile, find this book, and give it a try. Kleypas at her worst (and this is not her worst) is ten times better than a lot of authors at their best anyways. And like I said, you'll love the ending. I just wish she could have extended the end a little bit and shown more of how tender Nicholas could be.
on January 21, 2000
"Prince of Dreams" is a wonderful story. I've always been faciniated by stories that involve the idea of reincarnation and past lives. Especially the idea that we have one soul mate that will be with us in other lives, through out all time. This is only the second book I've read that involves this idea. I think it is the most romantic concept ever concieved, and Lisa Kleypas does a wonderful job of turning this concept into an engrosing book. Once I hit the point that began dealing with past lives, I couldn't put the book down until I had finished it. This story is a wonderful addition to any romance collection. It is now an important part of mine.