5.0 out of 5 stars The Wind Blows Backwards and the Rain Makes Applesause.
Published on June 13 2000 by Amy

2.0 out of 5 stars Appropriate for a 12 yo?
I'm writing my review through the eyes of a mother of a 12 yo girl who loves to read and has read every Mary Downing Hahn books. When she did not put the book down up in her room, I thought it must be good. I skimmed the book later. I told her we needed to have a book discussion the next day. I felt that this book could have waited until she was older and more...
Published on Nov. 17 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!!!, Jan. 25 2002
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
It all started on February afternoon when Lauren was leaning against a cart full of books in the library. Leaning on a bookshelf in the community library, Lauren was skimming through a novel and sinking into Dickinson's words. She forgot about everything around her and concentrated on this wonderful book she had picked up. Forgetting where she was, she sat there daydreaming when suddenly; Vanessa and Spencer were walking toward her. Before she knew it, she felt her face burning. Vanessa was one of the prettiest and the most popular girl in school. She was dating Spencer, who had been Lauren's best friend when they were younger. Spencer had grown up to be as handsome as a boy could ever get and had no time for quiet and bookish Lauren. Because Lauren wasn't very popular, Spencer didn't get along with her anymore, which was actually devastating for Lauren because she had cared very much about him. Downing slowly describes how the special friendship between Spencer and Lauren had evolved into love towards each other.
Lauren and Spencer are in senior year. Since Lauren misses that special friendship she had had with Spencer, she closes in on herself and doesn't ever talk to anyone because she thinks she will be rejected just as she was rejected by the person she loved with all her heart. Barely, Spencer makes a way back into Lauren's lonely life. Spending more time with her, going to study hall together and inviting her for ice cream, he makes Lauren wonder what is going on. Spencer even broke up with his beloved girlfriend, which no one thought would ever happen. Does this mean Spencer is falling in love with her? Lauren was ready to expect the unexpected.
Spencer shares his feeling and fears as well as his darkest secrets with her. Lauren doesn't take long to realize that Spencer was full of rage and haunted by intense mood swings. Will Lauren hang around as he destroys her life along with his?
The Wind Blows Backward is written by award winning author Mary Downing Hahn. It is a very strong book about love and how two passionate teenagers rely on each other. Narrated in first person, this book evolves slowly, but not leaving out any single detail. Downing makes the characters and setting seem so real that you might actually think you're there. It's and outrageous book on realistic fiction that I would recommend only to those who like to read about love and friendship.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wind Blows Backwards and the Rain Makes Applesause., June 13 2000
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
I will never EVER forget this book. The first time I read TWBB (9 years ago) I couldn't stop thinking about it. Since then I have aquired three copies of it. (all tattered and torn with underlined parts and dogeared pages) Spencer and Lauren's relationship has since inspired me in my own life and in my writing. I think perhaps this was the first book that awoke my love for creating my "own little world" in literature. I devoured it (like Lauren devours romance novels;) I think I have nearly memorized it. I have since read heavier and such books but this book... it has stayed with me as my number one favorite and it always will be. (me and my friend even started writing our favorite quotes on her bedroom wall and by the time her mom noticed it was too late;) All I can say is.. read it... then read it again and again. There will be something new each time. Every girl that read this book will fall hoplessly in love with Spencer and find Lauren to be kindred spirit like I did, every guy will be captivated by Lauren and envious and curious of Spencer and by the time you are done there will be a lump in your throat and tears in your eyes and you will want to find what these two have. This book and it's character has been a great friend to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching and tender story of love against all obstacles, April 21 1999
By A Customer
I first read this book in my sophomore year of high school and it has been one of my favorite books ever since. Every person can find something within this story that speaks to them in a personal and profound way. It is so much more than just a young adult romance. Laura and Spencer deal with issues that most adults have not yet resolved in their own lives. I'm currently a college student and I have read this book at least once every year since I first discovered it. Each time I read it I find something new that I can relate to. It is a tender tale of young love but more importantly it makes a statement about people's struggle with despair, a struggle we have all been through at one point in our lives. This book tells the reader that love is not an easy path to tread but an utimately rewarding one. I will probably continue to read this book every year of my life because it is that powerful and timeless.I have recommended this book to all of my friends, male and female, and not one of them have come away from reading it without being deeply moved and finding a part of themselves in the process. This book is truly one that should be read by everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wind Blows Backward, March 9 2001
Kelly (Cleveland,OH,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
Lauren has had to deal with struggles all her life. She is constantly made fun of in school, her father left her family when she was only five years old, and she has never been very close to her mother. In her senior year of high school things start looking up, her friend, Spencer, from Junior High, starts to notice her again and talk to her. But she soon find out that the reason he needed to talk to her was because he couldn't find anyone that would undertand him anymore. He confides in Lauren and tells her that he has been thinking about suicide. He is having aq hard time dealing with life, he feels like a failure to his family. He feels like he can't fit the mold of the perfect child anymore. Lauren is the only one Spencer can depend on anymore and she has to prove to him that life is still worth living. This book gives you a look into Lauren's life and the conflicts she has to deal with in everyday life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, March 7 2003
"July Lady" (MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
The Wind Blows Backward is one of my books from my younger days. Lauren, is a painfully shy highschool senior, who can't wait for school to be over, Spencer is the popular kid. Lauren and Spencer was best friends in junior high, but dropped her, when they made it to highschool for the more popular kids. It's senior year, and now Spencer wants to reclaim Lauren's friendship, he feels like Lauren is the only one who truly knows him. Lauren doesn't know how to take Spencer sudden interested for friendship with her again. The two starts dating, and Lauren quickly realizes Spencer has secrets, and has a deep depression about his life. I throught the book was good, Lauren was there for Spencer when he needed her most. The only problem I had with the book is that I think Lauren might have moved a little too fast with Spencer as far as taking the relationship to the next level sexually. Still a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wind Blows BackwardN, Feb. 6 2000
Samantha (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
I'm sure everyone who is reading this review is wondering why on earth i would only give it four stars. it's beautifully written, with characters you could think of as friends and experiences that remain in the back of your mind forever. so the reason i have only chosen four is that i'm not sure about the actual satisfaction i received after completing the novel. you could cry, i suppose, if you enjoy being emotionally sentimental over the situations that lauren and spencer have walked through...but on the whole, i just felt - bad - inside. my best friend accuses me of taking the book too seriously, but its hard not to picture the pain that is flowing through spencer. pain, so much pain. and so i give four stars to ward off anyone who appreciates life as a safe, happy event. i wouldnt want to taint their outlook with the troubled thoughts of an imaginary teen.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest of all Books, Nov. 9 2001
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
A true love story! Once you start reading this book, you never want to put it down. It's about a girl named Lauren and a guy named Spencer. Lauren and Spencer date during Junior High and all is going well. When High School rolls around Spencer starts to change and hang out with the popular gang. He leaves Lauren behind and pretends like she isn't even there. Spencer has dark secrets from the past that he hasn't told anyone. It's making him have mood changes and it's driving him crazy. When he shares them with Lauren, she becomes worried about him. Spencer becomes part of Lauren's life again because she is the only one he can trust. Lauren thinks all is going well until something happens to Spencer! Read this book to find out exactly what happens to Spencer and how Lauren learns to deal with everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest of all Books, Nov. 9 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars The Wind Blows Backward, May 24 2001
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
My opinion about this book is it was a love story and in some parts it was good. The people who would like this book is would have to like love stories. I like the being when it just got into datails rght away. the charicters in this book were different they had different ways of thinking. My faviorte part is when he comes back and tells her what had happened. The book gave details all the way through the book. The people in this book fit perfect for the style. One thing that I diddent like about the was that they would stay to one subject forever. In some parts of the book of the book it was really slow and boring. Another thing that I did not like was she pushed him away and she not have.I did not like the fact that the mother was so blind. The last thing I did not like the title of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight and still going strong, Nov. 6 2000
Stacy (Silver Spring, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wind Blows Backward (Paperback)
I read this book at the age of 11 when I was in 7th grade. I just happened to pick it up when I was sitting in my boring English class, which was first period. It was almost new then, over the pass 5 years I have read the book too many times to count. It is now missing its back cover and is taped in many places but it is still loved very much. The book brings out feelings that many teens can relate to. It also brings hope to some and helps others understand. The book drew me in with the portrayal of a tragic love between Lauren and Spencer that prevailed under very strenuous conditions. This book was hailed the girl book of the year when it was published but I believe that not only girls but also boys will love "The Wind Blows Backwards".

The Wind Blows Backward
The Wind Blows Backward by Mary Downing Hahn (Paperback - Aug. 1 1994)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.92