5.0 out of 5 stars good read!
Published 8 months ago by Grouchbucket

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not great
Published on July 8 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars good read!, Aug. 21 2013
This review is from: It Had to Be You (Kindle Edition)
This was a fun book. Dan and Phoebe were well matched. I thought I could predict a few things that were going to happen but I was wrong, which was a delightful surprise. This is only the second book I have read by this author but I am really enjoying the feel of her characters. They are strong and I can fall in love with them easily. Looking forward to more from this author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not great, July 8 2004
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
I liked this book, but didn't. Just as I was beginning to like this the characters, Dan would be a little over the top and Pheobe couldn't make up her mind to be a slut or victim. I can't make up my mind if I like this book or not. Kinda reminds me of Dan and Pheobe.... There was a lot of lust, but maybe it's just me, but not enough tenderness and romance. Also, I didn't like Dan seeing two women at the same time with litte remorse.

1.0 out of 5 stars Football for Romance?, April 21 2004
THERESA A. FREVERT (Floral Park, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
Don't get me wrong...I love Ms. Phillips novels but there was something about a dog peeing on a casket and football player conversations that bored me to tears so didn't make it past the first 40 pages. This did not fall into one of the best reads of Ms. Phillips career.

4.0 out of 5 stars "You" Marked the Beginning of it All, April 1 2004
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
Phoebe Somerville, a voluptuous blonde with a pin-up girl body, has just inherited the Chicago Stars professional football team from her cold and callous father. A sports team is the last thing this New York lady wants, plus she sees it as manipulation from the grave, by her father, to coerce her into doing as he wishes. His age-old demand for her to do something meaningful with her life, and quit hanging out with homosexual men. In order to remain owner of the team, the Stars have to win the Super Bowl, a long shot at best. So she decides to do nothing, until the team's sexy and aggressive head coach, Dan Calebow, pays her a visit. Nothing is getting done because Phoebe isn't showing up to work. The last thing Dan wants is some blonde bimbo to own and run the team, but he has no choice at present. But Phoebe is not what she seems. Her oversexed demeanor is a cover for the trauma of her past. And Dan begins to realize there's a brain with that body, and he can't help desiring both.
This is the book that started it all - the first installment in the Chicago Stars/Bonner Brothers series. We are introduced here to Phoebe's sister, Molly Somerville, a troubled teen at this point, who is the subject of the last book, "This Heart of Mine". Also we are introduced to my favorite hero ever, Bobby Tom Denton, whose story is the next (and best) in the series, "Heaven, Texas".
Once again, Ms. Phillips builds multi-layered characters that are real people with real problems. She is a master at doing this. I especially found the character of Phoebe vastly interesting. It is a sexy, fast-paced story laced with humor. Even though I loved Phoebe's character, her history of trauma bothered me. The screening of details written was handled well, and obviously that occurrence helped form her character, but I just don't like reading about this kind of thing. Plus the slimeball ultimately got away with it. The climatic ending was also a little over the top for me, and seemed a mite far-fetched. I'll refrain from further explanation, since it would ruin it for those who haven't read the book yet. I haven't been reading these in order, so I believe I read this book third. I have yet to read, "Dream a Little Dream", but out of the rest, this is probably my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, this book is still very good and definitely worth reading!
For those who would like to know the order of the series, it is as follows: It Had to be You, Heaven Texas, Nobody's Baby But Mine, Dream a Little Dream and This Heart of Mine. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good movie-ish plot, Feb. 8 2004
Jem S. (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the 1st book in the chicago stars series and I read it last, I sort of read the series backwards, so it'll probably affect my review. I think this is a very touching book, and I like how Phillips didn't use her usual conflict. Here both characters have the same rate on the development of their feelings for each other. I think that's perfect, because Dan here is really looking forward to settle down as opposed to the other Phillips' heroes who marries the heroine out of honor/principles. What I dont really like about it is the climax where Phoebe got abducted so Dan could lose the game for her. And of course the double touchdown when there's only 2 minutes in the clock. That's not original. I think it'll look better in a movie than in a book. Anyway, I still like how Phillips balanced Dan scenes(point of views) with Phoebe's, especially ending the book through Dan's eyes. It is a feel-good ending, she didn't overdone it or anything--just right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Legally Blond III, Feb. 6 2004
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
If you loved Legally Blond you will probably love blond, smart, "bimbo" Phoebe. I really enjoyed this book and my only problem with it was that my favorite male character was not Dan but Ron McDermitt. I kept hoping Phoebe would end up with him! Dan was OK but he seemed a bit shallow to me except at the very end. I loved the last line of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars "When you look at the other team think N A K E D !", Oct. 21 2003
janlouise (Ruston, LA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
Phoebe can't stand the sport football and hasn't seen her father, who is now deceased, in years. But Phoebe Sommerville has just inherited the Chicago Stars football team through the death of her father. She has one year to bring the team to the Super Bowl and receive her full monotary inheritance or it falls back permanently to her cousin who she despises. But along with the team she has to contend with Coach Dan Celebow. Dan is an ex-quarterback himself and has the talent to be a great coach if the team will just follow his plays- he has a tough job to do and now having to put up with a flakey but gorgeous team owner who likes to give her own instructions like "when you look at the other team think naked" has just added to his headaches. Needless to say Phoebe and Dan don't hit it off and are constantly butting heads. But there is a sexual attraction that is stronger than either one of them. Can they work things out personally and work together for the team's sake?
This is SEP's the prequel to THIS HEART OF MINE. Though I read them in the wrong order they are both good. They are fun, heartwarming and sexy- a recommended read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but hated the unbelievable climax., Aug. 12 2003
Romance Lover "vt2949" (Sacramento, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
There are so many things to like about this book. The lead characters were funny, complex and engaging. Most of the plot was interesting. Unlike some reviewers, I was not turned off by Phoebe's over-the-top bimbo act. I thought it was consistent with her past experiences, and it was a refreshing change from the heroine who's unattractive or doesn't know how to use her sexuality. My main beef with this book was the hokey, unbelievable climax, where Dan essentially proves his love for Phoebe by being willing to throw the AFC Championship game. Not at all credible, and actually a little disgusting, when you think about it. If you love or are knowledgeable about the NFL, you will hate this book. Otherwise, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely entertaining and a well written book, May 15 2003
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
This was the very first book I had read written by SEP and would highly recommend it to anyone with a sense of humour. Phoebe and Dan kept me laughing, crying and highly entertained. I could not put the book down until it was finished. Am going to order all books written by SEP.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper!, March 4 2003
This review is from: It Had To Be You (Mass Market Paperback)
This book started a little slow, but picked up soon. It combines football, romance, humor and mystery. It is a worthwhile read! I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

ARRAY(0xb16c5780)

It Had To Be You
It Had To Be You by Susan E Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 1 1994)
CDN$ 9.50 CDN$ 9.02