5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer entertainment and so much heart.
Published on March 22 2004 by Rasee Govindani

2.0 out of 5 stars predictable and stereotyped
Based on reviews here I bought 3 books by this author, including Heaven, Texas. They were all "easy reads" but the plots were sadly alike, the characters the worst type of sterotypes... Generally this author seems to make her heroines virgins or the next closest thing, the men on the other hand have slept with thousands of women, but deep down they are ready to...
Published on Nov. 19 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer entertainment and so much heart., March 22 2004
Rasee Govindani (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I own "It Had to be You" and remember enjoying it somewhat, but not enough to pick up any other books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips because the book had simply failed to satisfy the romance reader in me. I picked up "Heaven, Texas" on impulse and, once I started reading, I could not put the book down. I laughed so much as I worked my way through the book, wiping tears from my face in the end when I finally closed the book, completely and happily satisfied by a joyful love story, entertaining and intelligent dialogue, characters I came to love quickly, and chemistry that keeps you captivated.
Bobby Tom is forced to retire from the NFL after a knee injury and decides to make a movie in his hometown or Telarosa, Texas to help boost the economy. Gracie Snow, a virgin from Ohio, is given the job of getting Bobby Tom to Texas in time for the shooting. Opposite ends of the spectrum, Bobby Tom and Gracie become fast friends, always nursing a delicious spark. Bobby Tom decides to introduce Gracie to the more sensual things in life and Gracie is more than eager to go on the journey. What follows is a contemporary love story of the best kind--full of passion and humor and intelligence and vulnerabilities and love. You will laugh and you will cry, and you will urge the characters on because you'll love them quickly and want them to have their happy endings.
A gorgeous read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the silly ending......, April 6 2004
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
i liked this book...although i have to say kiss an angel is still my favourite of SEP...
Gracie was a bossy,naggy and determined 30 yr old virgin and she is given the task of asking Bobby Tom, a irresitible "woman-lover" to go back to shoot his movie...the book definately have some humour but its not really that funny.. the story is rather peaceful but what makes it a good book to me is the ending..haa.. i thought its rather silly but sweet....
For me its not the best.. but it makes my day....

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading This Book Was Heaven......, March 8 2004
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Ohio native, Gracie Snow, has always taken care of others. Now she is looking for adventure with her new job which includes escorting ex-NFL football star, Bobby Tom Denton, back home to Heaven, Texas to shoot a movie. Bobby Tom has no plans to cooperate with this bossy-mouth, plain Jane with the bad perm and lack of fashion sense. Once Gracie starts posing as Bobby Tom's fiance, to keep unwanted female attention away from this playboy, he orchestrates her makeover. But when the makeover draws a little too much attention to Gracie, well then what's a guy to do?
On a scale of 1 to 10, this book is a 50. It's funny and fast-paced with well-developed, multi-layered, beautifully flawed characters. This was my first read by SEP, and since then I read everything of hers I can put my hands on. Words are not adequate to express how wonderful her books are, and how talented this lady is.
Prior to reading Heaven, Texas, I had dismissed her books on several occasions. It was after looking at someone's list of favorite romance novels with humor, here on Amazon, that I picked up this book. Not being a football fan in the least made me even more skeptical. I have now read all the books but one in the Chicago Stars/Bonner Brothers series. They're all great, but Heaven, Texas is extra special. Bobby Tom Denton is my favorite hero ever written in a book! I just love all that crapola that comes out of his mouth, and I will never look at ice cream the same way again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!, Aug. 1 2003
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I was randomly preveiwing books online one night when i came across the book Heaven, Texas. I double clicked on it only because I thought it was a cute title and had a nice cover. But I am sooo glad that I did buy it in the bookstore a few days later because this is hands down one of the best romance books I've ever read. Susan Elizabeth Phillips creates amazing characters that are extraordinary and fun-loving! You can relate to the characters and there are times when they make you giggle out loud.
This was my favorite book of hers, and i'm sure everyone else who has read it loves it. I've read this book at least 15 times since I've had (which is about 3-4 months).Bobby Tom and Gracie are great and this book just really makes you believe in true love (at least while your reading it)and that's saying something because I don't believe in love ( but that's another story for another time).
I also encourage you(anyone who actually reads this) to read her other books as well ( although Hot Shot and Just Imagine definitly weren't that great if you ask me, but that's just because they're not as light as the Chicago Stars series). I especially recommend It Had to be You and the other Chicago Stars books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story BUT...., March 14 2003
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Gracie Snow is a 30-year-old virgin who has spent all of her life caring for the elderly at her parent's nursing home, until a month ago when her mother sold the facility. This lands Miz Snow in a Hollywood job as a production assistant. Gracie's job is to get the very reluctant Bobby Tom Denton (ex-NFL Player) on the movie set. Mr. Denton has other things in mind, but none of which involve movies or Gracie Snow.
This story might be one of my favorites by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. It's every woman's fantasy, or at least mine, to get the sexy hard body professional football player (and he falls in love with you!). And who better than Gracie Snow as his love interest, she is every NORMAL woman, aside from being a, 30 year old virgin. Which is far fetched but I can accept it.
This story surprised me, I thought with a lead character named Bobby Tom that I would dislike the story, but Bobby Tom was a lovable, flawed, and believable character. Gracie Snow's character was great in that she was a normal woman getting the pro-athlete, but her character was somewhat lacking at times (mostly towards the end of the story).
This story would have been a five star read for me, but the typos nearly killed me. I know, nit picky, but editing on this book was a nightmare. From the Bobby Tom Demon (instead of Denton), to Gracie spelled, Grade or Oracle. There were punctuation errors and words that didn't even exist in there! But all in all, more great stuff from Ms. Phillips, if you liked This Heart of Mine (which is my favorite by her) then you will love this book if you can stomach the horrible editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd give it 10 stars if I could, July 7 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I was all set to dislike this romance novel and even did for the first 80 pages or so. I mean, I've never really liked the jock type and especially not jocks who are supremely self-confident, too handsome for their own good, and with country bumpkin-type names. The hero, Bobby Tom, is all those things in addition to being audacious. I mean, I hated the airheaded willingness of his sex-trophy girlfrieds to pass his "football quiz," and I disliked the arrogance that made him invent it. For the first 80 pages or so, I was so exasperated by his arrogance and Gracie's attraction to him anyway that I wasn't going to finish it. However, it got such high marks from all the readers, that I forced myself to. Boy, am I glad I did! This novel and Sandra Brown's Breath of Scandal have become my all-time favorite romance novels (though they're entirely opposite).
Phillips has a gift for making characters come alive. Her characters aren't perfect, certainly Bobby Tom isn't. But, I promise you'll fall in love with him anyway. I liked the way Phillips made readers privy to the innermost thoughts of various characters using their voices rather than some omniscient narrator's. I also liked that she didn't condescend to readrs by explaining what should be the obvious when it comes to a character's thoughts. For instance, when Bobby Tom finally convinces himself to do the "charitable" thing...readers definitely know Bobby Tom's character enough by that time to realize that charity has nothing to do with his willingness to tutor Gracie in the "erotic arts." I also liked the fact that although Gracie was more than willing to share Bobby Tom's bed (after all, she loved him), she wouldn't let him sway her from her principles.
The humor was also great and didn't detract one bit from the sexiness (sometimes it does in romantic comedies). The beauty parlor scene was so hilarious that it had me laughing out loud (a rare occurence for me when reading a novel), even after a couple of repeat readings. The endings also funny and wonderful.
This is definitely a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven, Texas Review (SEP), Jan. 5 2002
Tal (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
This is probably the most thought out romance novel I have ever read. SEP's amazing writing and creative talents brought a sore spot to my helpless romantic mind. Bobby Tom's cocky, charming, football attitude affects Gracie's "school-teacher" attitude. While Gracie is trying to get Bobby Tom's butt to Telarosa, she was actually falling in love with him, while he was quite annoyed by her behavior. I really love their conversations at the beggining at the book. But then the plot changes, and she becomes this innocent wildcat out to strike, YOWL! Gracie's flirty behavior really puts him at his edge, and his only solution is to teach this virginal-flirty-wildcat, the ways of sex. So this closer relationship between Gracie and Bobby Tom learn more about eachother physically and mentally, but Gracie found out he was making her paychecks, and she feels like a pitied lovesick fool. Suddenly Bobby Tom realizes his turbulent emotions towards Gracie, and there's only one way to prove it.............Read the book for the ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow-weee!!!, Dec 6 2001
BajanReader (Barbados, West Indies) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book - I received it yesterday and read the whole thing in one sitting! It is wonderfully written with believable characters and a good story line that flows very well. In some aspects it reminded me of another one of SEP's books - Nobody's Baby But Mine - where the hero is an ex-footballer that is well loved by his home town and the heroine is something of an inept social outcast. Both the heroes were injured and sidelined in their careers and were both out of sorts about what to do with their lives after football. But they are different on many levels as well and its worth your money to buy both of them!
I was captivated by Bobby Tom - especially his intense sex appeal. I also especially loved the fact that he really came to love a person that was considered plain and unattractive. The ending was wonderful too! Read this book if you want to laugh out loud, if you want to cry and if you want to see two different well deserving and well suited people to get together!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, Nov. 6 2001
Sean D. Young (Merrillville, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Bobby Tom Denton the famous jock with the Chicago Stars has been injured. This injury ended his football career. He signs a contract to star in a motion picture in his hometownof Heaven, Texas. Bobby Tom has second thoughts about this movie deal and decides to go to Heaven, Texas when he is good and ready.
Gracie Snow was hired by the production company of the movie to escort Bobby Tom back to Heaven, Texas. They don't care how she does it, they want him there. Gracie meets Bobby Tom and think he is stuck on himself. Gracie puts her foot down and tells him he is going to show up to do this movie.
Bobby Tom gives in and they go to Heaven, Texas together. He decides to get this bright idea to tell everyone there that Gracie is his fiance. There is always somebody there that wants Bobby to meet a relative of theirs, this way Gracie will be his shield. Some of the towns people think that something is strange about this because Gracie is just a small petite plan Jane, not someone Bobby would go with much less marry. Once they agree to this plan sparks fly.
I really liked this book. This is the second book in the Chicago Stars football team series. Ms. Phillips always writes an excellent story. I really enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best romance I've ever read!!!, June 26 2001
"vjive" (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Seemingly arrogant, shallow, handsome-as-sin, professional quaterback, Bobby Tom Denton is permanently injured taking away his football career which had become his identity and leaving him at a crossroad in life. Being worshiped from a young age, in his small hometown of Telerosa Texas, for his extraordinary good looks and athletic talent, he had accepted his identity, understanding no one cared to see what lay beneath the surface...untill Gracie Snow.
Born into a shelterd existance and raised in a nursing home, Gracie had an unrelenting passion to experience life. At the death of her parents, she accepts a job with a small film company which is having trouble getting it's newest star, football icon, Bobby Tom Denton, to honor his contract and show up to star in his first feature, being filmed, at his request, in his hometown hoping to help its troubled economy. On her first assignment, plain, drab, inexperienced Gracie is sent to convince playboy, Bobby Tom, to fulfill his contract for the film.
Intimidated but determined Gracie intrigues Bobby Tom in their first encounter with her innocent sincerity, and quite strength of character. She is the first woman to see past his act of smooth cowboy-talking Don Juan, oozing with calculated charm, to the extremely intelligent, lonely man inside.
Gracie succeeds in bringing Bobby Tom back to his hometown for filming, helping him face the shadows that chase him, and loving him with a rare passion that forever changes Bobbby Tom's life as well as her own.
After reading over 400 romances in the last 6 months, I can without a doubt say this is the best romance novel I have read to date. Susan Elizabeth Phillips has a rare gift of storytelling that enters your heart and stamps a vivid memory. The only complaint I have is that she doesn't publish enough. All her books are jewels!

Heaven Texas
Heaven Texas by Susan Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 1995)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89