4.0 out of 5 stars Great Author
Published 3 months ago by Grouchbucket

2.0 out of 5 stars predictable and stereotyped
Based on reviews here I bought 3 books by this author, including Heaven, Texas. They were all "easy reads" but the plots were sadly alike, the characters the worst type of sterotypes... Generally this author seems to make her heroines virgins or the next closest thing, the men on the other hand have slept with thousands of women, but deep down they are ready to...
Published on Nov. 19 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Author, April 3 2014
I really enjoyed this book, Phillips writing is fantastic. I think she could weave any story she wanted to... easily and smoothly. These two characters worked well together. I had a couple chuckles and it kept me up reading late a few times. I had picked up this book and read the back cover a few times and wasn't that intrigued. It was much better than I expected. Looking forward to more from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer entertainment and so much heart., March 22 2004
Rasee Govindani (St. Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I own "It Had to be You" and remember enjoying it somewhat, but not enough to pick up any other books by Susan Elizabeth Phillips because the book had simply failed to satisfy the romance reader in me. I picked up "Heaven, Texas" on impulse and, once I started reading, I could not put the book down. I laughed so much as I worked my way through the book, wiping tears from my face in the end when I finally closed the book, completely and happily satisfied by a joyful love story, entertaining and intelligent dialogue, characters I came to love quickly, and chemistry that keeps you captivated.
Bobby Tom is forced to retire from the NFL after a knee injury and decides to make a movie in his hometown or Telarosa, Texas to help boost the economy. Gracie Snow, a virgin from Ohio, is given the job of getting Bobby Tom to Texas in time for the shooting. Opposite ends of the spectrum, Bobby Tom and Gracie become fast friends, always nursing a delicious spark. Bobby Tom decides to introduce Gracie to the more sensual things in life and Gracie is more than eager to go on the journey. What follows is a contemporary love story of the best kind--full of passion and humor and intelligence and vulnerabilities and love. You will laugh and you will cry, and you will urge the characters on because you'll love them quickly and want them to have their happy endings.
A gorgeous read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the silly ending......, April 6 2004
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
i liked this book...although i have to say kiss an angel is still my favourite of SEP...
Gracie was a bossy,naggy and determined 30 yr old virgin and she is given the task of asking Bobby Tom, a irresitible "woman-lover" to go back to shoot his movie...the book definately have some humour but its not really that funny.. the story is rather peaceful but what makes it a good book to me is the ending..haa.. i thought its rather silly but sweet....
For me its not the best.. but it makes my day....

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Heaven!, May 30 2008
T. Ford - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I wasn't sure I was going to like this book, but, since I loved the rest of the Chicago Stars series that I had read, I decided to give it a go. Well, I was not disappointed. It was a real romance story. I was engaged from the beginning until the end, when I had tears streaming down my face.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips has written a wonderful romance and the reader is left with the notion that we really have no control over who we fall in love with. We see through the book and the characters' internal dialogue Bobby Tom, the main male character, falling in love with Gracie Snow, the main female character, but fighting it and denying it to himself. It was heart-warming and heart-wrenching to see this man not recognize that what he is feeling for Gracie is love until he almost loses her.

This is a book I am sure I will read and re-read until the pages are dog-eared and the last chapter of the book is stained with tears.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading This Book Was Heaven......, March 8 2004
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Ohio native, Gracie Snow, has always taken care of others. Now she is looking for adventure with her new job which includes escorting ex-NFL football star, Bobby Tom Denton, back home to Heaven, Texas to shoot a movie. Bobby Tom has no plans to cooperate with this bossy-mouth, plain Jane with the bad perm and lack of fashion sense. Once Gracie starts posing as Bobby Tom's fiance, to keep unwanted female attention away from this playboy, he orchestrates her makeover. But when the makeover draws a little too much attention to Gracie, well then what's a guy to do?
On a scale of 1 to 10, this book is a 50. It's funny and fast-paced with well-developed, multi-layered, beautifully flawed characters. This was my first read by SEP, and since then I read everything of hers I can put my hands on. Words are not adequate to express how wonderful her books are, and how talented this lady is.
Prior to reading Heaven, Texas, I had dismissed her books on several occasions. It was after looking at someone's list of favorite romance novels with humor, here on Amazon, that I picked up this book. Not being a football fan in the least made me even more skeptical. I have now read all the books but one in the Chicago Stars/Bonner Brothers series. They're all great, but Heaven, Texas is extra special. Bobby Tom Denton is my favorite hero ever written in a book! I just love all that crapola that comes out of his mouth, and I will never look at ice cream the same way again!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Sept. 18 2003
W. Ertell (Lake Charles, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book, so far my favorite from SEP. I don't think I've laughed so hard from a book. A Must Read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, I love it, I love it!!!!, Aug. 2 2003
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
I was randomly preveiwing books online one night when i came across the book Heaven, Texas. I double clicked on it only because I thought it was a cute title and had a nice cover. But I am sooo glad that I did buy it in the bookstore a few days later because this is hands down one of the best romance books I've ever read. Susan Elizabeth Phillips creates amazing characters that are extraordinary and fun-loving! You can relate to the characters and there are times when they make you giggle out loud.
This was my favorite book of hers, and i'm sure everyone else who has read it loves it. I've read this book at least 15 times since I've had (which is about 3-4 months).Bobby Tom and Gracie are great and this book just really makes you believe in true love (at least while your reading it)and that's saying something because I don't believe in love ( but that's another story for another time).
I also encourage you(anyone who actually reads this) to read her other books as well ( although Hot Shot and Just Imagine definitly weren't that great if you ask me, but that's just because they're not as light as the Chicago Stars series). I especially recommend It Had to be You and the other Chicago Stars books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, July 7 2003
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Another great read by Susan Phillips. A little predictable but very humorous and heart warming. I truly enjoyed and you will not be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story BUT...., March 14 2003
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
Gracie Snow is a 30-year-old virgin who has spent all of her life caring for the elderly at her parent's nursing home, until a month ago when her mother sold the facility. This lands Miz Snow in a Hollywood job as a production assistant. Gracie's job is to get the very reluctant Bobby Tom Denton (ex-NFL Player) on the movie set. Mr. Denton has other things in mind, but none of which involve movies or Gracie Snow.
This story might be one of my favorites by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. It's every woman's fantasy, or at least mine, to get the sexy hard body professional football player (and he falls in love with you!). And who better than Gracie Snow as his love interest, she is every NORMAL woman, aside from being a, 30 year old virgin. Which is far fetched but I can accept it.
This story surprised me, I thought with a lead character named Bobby Tom that I would dislike the story, but Bobby Tom was a lovable, flawed, and believable character. Gracie Snow's character was great in that she was a normal woman getting the pro-athlete, but her character was somewhat lacking at times (mostly towards the end of the story).
This story would have been a five star read for me, but the typos nearly killed me. I know, nit picky, but editing on this book was a nightmare. From the Bobby Tom Demon (instead of Denton), to Gracie spelled, Grade or Oracle. There were punctuation errors and words that didn't even exist in there! But all in all, more great stuff from Ms. Phillips, if you liked This Heart of Mine (which is my favorite by her) then you will love this book if you can stomach the horrible editing.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Greatest! Except for that name!, Nov. 13 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Heaven Texas (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of those witty, feel-good romances that will leave you wanting to follow Gracie and Bobby Tom for the next 20 years. I loved how Gracie met him. Like Gracie, I too thought Bobby Tom was a womanizer in a good-natured sort of way, and believed he'd suffered one too many head-knocks because he seemed a little flighty, but all is not what it seems.
The name SEP labeled the hero with didn't help matters. I didn't care for it at all.
The introduction of his mother was a nice touch.

Heaven Texas
Heaven Texas by Susan Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - April 1 1995)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89