4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling.... But lacking in romance...
When Annie is the victim of a sexual assault, her attackers brother Alex agrees to marry her believing she is mentally disabled. Can Annie and Alex find happiness, or is their relationship doomed to failure?
Published on April 30 2004 by Serene

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STAR
VERY EMOTIONAL BOOK FOR ME, I HAVE NEVER READ A BOOK WHERE I FELT
TOTALLY & EMOTIONALLY WRUNG OUT. THERE WAS UNBELIEVABLE SADNESS AND PAIN, I LAUGHED,CRIED AND WAS AN ABSOLUTE WRECK ALL THROUGHOUT THIS BOOK. GOES TO SHOW SHE MS ANDERSON HAS GREAT WRITING SKILLS. ONLY GAVE IT 3.5 STARS AS THE BOOK LEFT ME WITH
A FEELING OF SADNESS.
A VERY STRONG RIVERTING...
Published on Jan. 1 2004 by whitecolt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling.... But lacking in romance..., April 30 2004
Serene - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, before I get blasted by Catherine Anderson fans, I found Annie's Song a compelling read. I liked the idea of a deaf heroine, and the issue of deafness being dealt with in a romance novel in a sensitive manner. But I must confess, I didn't find the romance very interesting or... Frankly that compelling. Mostly because, despite her deafness Annie was so very naive. Frankly, I found the fact that she was described as 'child-like' and innocent every other paragraph distasteful.
Also, the rape was never really addressed, and I found it really unbelievable that the heroine (many months pregnant), would welcome the advances of the rapists look alike brother. Perhaps AFTER the pregnancy, and after she'd had time to adjust and mature.....But before? Erk....
I also felt the relationship between her and Alex was somewhat unhealthy. Alex was more like a father for her, seldom letting Annie make decisions. While at the end, she finally asserts herself its not enough and not for the right reasons.
Overall, I found Annie's Song a compelling read, but the disparity in age and emotional development between Annie and Alex was off-putting to this reader. Perhaps if Annie had been portrayed as less naive I could've really enjoyed this novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entrancing, Feb. 26 2004
Denise Condos (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I had a hard time tearing myself away from this book. The same goes for her other books. Ms. Anderson's use of characters who are not physically perfect is a wonderful contrast to all of the other stories out there. Her characters are so human you can't help but fall in love in with them and want to become part of their world.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 STAR, Jan. 1 2004
VERY EMOTIONAL BOOK FOR ME, I HAVE NEVER READ A BOOK WHERE I FELT
A FEELING OF SADNESS.
A VERY STRONG RIVERTING READ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, Dec 8 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read many, many historical romances. This one will make you laugh and cry. A very touching story that I couldn't put down. I bought copies for all of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best reads!, April 5 2002
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I normally don't write reviews for romance novels ~~ but I really enjoyed this one. It was predictable though ~~ like a lot of other romance novels ~~ but it was so sweet and so refreshing compared to a lot of other books. It has an uplifting beat throughout the whole book and it did explored what it is like to be deaf.
Annie's parents hid Annie ever since a fever left her "slightly touched" since she couldn't talk or hear ... they assumed that Annie was mentally ill. When Annie was raped by Douglas Montgomery, Douglas' big brother Alex steps in to marry her and raise her child ~~ giving her the protection of his name. What Alex didn't expect was to fall in love with Annie ~~ and this is a book detailing the sweet romance between Alex and Annie.
If you're looking for a lighter read to take to the beach or on vacation ~~ I highly recommend this book! It's a good read and quick one too!!!
4-5-02

5.0 out of 5 stars avid romance reader, Nov. 30 2001
Pamela Mandt (Dallas,, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. This is the first of Catherine Anderson's books that I have ever read and I certainly intend to read more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed but not surprised, July 2 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I love to read good romances and this was nothing like a good romance. I bought this book because of the reviews here on amazon. I must say that they are a bit misleading. This is not a romance but a love story. And a bad love story at that. I just didn't believe these characterd from jump street. I read chapter after chapter waiting for something to happen with them but it never did. 300 plus pages of pure fluff. Nothing happens in this story and the little that does pass for plot was predictable and clich`e. If you want to read a good book about deafness read Sandra Browns' Eloquent silence. It demonstrates what good writing is all about. Really i think this book would not have been so bad if were about 100 pages shorter.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Novel!, Aug. 28 2000
T. Raabe (temple, tx USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book! It was funny, romantic and touching all at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, touching, uplifting story!, Aug. 24 2000
"mjade" (Milwaukie, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first Catherine Anderson book, and I must say, why haven't I heard of her before? The quality and originality of this story is far above some of even the more popular romance authors today. Ms. Anderson takes a difficult premise (the heroine can't TALK to the hero) and manages to make us forget her "disability".
We get to witness Alex's gradual shift from guilt and self-absorption regarding Annie, to his eventual admiration, loyalty and love for her.
I felt the author's handling of Annie's complete naivete was right on. There was no way she could have known many of the basic things we have come to understand, because no one taught her! She was treated as a half-wit, ostracized from the community, and, to a certain extent, by her family.
I laughed, giggled, cried, and sighed over this book. And I LOVED that there was no "Big Misunderstanding", a plot device I feel authors use too frequently to come up with a form of conflict.
All in all, I felt this to be a prime example of romance writing at its best. Please, read this book and recommend it to anyone who will appreciate a heart-warming, positive read.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was amazing., May 22 2000
Kellie (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annies Song (Mass Market Paperback)
I recently read "Annie's Song" by Catherine Anderson (my first by her) and was floored. Kind horse-breeder Alex marries the "mentally challenged" girl his brother raped. The girl is pregnant and Alex does what he feels is his duty. Alex soon discovers that Annie is not "mentally unstable", she is deaf. I cried when Alex ordered the musical instruments for her, as she can feel the vibrations of the music. I cried when he danced with her in her attic playground. I laughed when she told Alex she thought she would lay an egg to have her baby. This book was beautiful, sweet, and a keeper, for sure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xba4c7a14)

Annies Song
Annies Song by C Anderson (Mass Market Paperback - Aug. 27 2013)
CDN$ 9.50 CDN$ 9.02