5.0 out of 5 stars Baby ,You're The Best!!
Dr. Jane Darlington, a genius physics professor, wants nothing more than to have a baby. She has a couple of obstacles in her way though. She currently has no prospects for the father. And growing up as a genius made her feel like a freak, so she wants to spare her child this pain. Therefore, she needs a very special man. A stupid man. When she sees Cal Bonner, the famous...
Published on March 9 2004 by klpepsi

3.0 out of 5 stars 2/3rds of the book well worth reading
I really hated the first 1/3rd of the book. The only character who wasn't immoral was Kevin Tucker. All the other secondary characters were just plain sad or dispicable. As for the main characters Jane and Cal - Yikes! Cal is a jerk. It's totally understandable that he is furious with Jane but to want to destroy the mother of his future child is not only stupid it's also...
Published on Feb. 26 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Oct. 22 2001
Sean D. Young (Merrillville, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
Jane Darlington is a 34 year old genius. She really isn't a very sociable person. She is a very nice person, but always believed that people thought she was weird because she was so smart. Her next door neighbors daughter Jodie comes over to borrow some coffee. She realizes that Jane has been crying and starts trying to find out what is wrong with her besides being a weirdo. Jane confides in the young girl. The young woman for her own selfish reasons tells Jane that she can help her with her problem. Jane's problem was she wanted a child of her own, but didn't want the child's father to have any intelligence whatsoever. She felt is the father was stupid, her child wouldn't be talked about and critized the way she was. Jane sees Cal Bonner and football player and she thought he was stupid because of the way he talked to the interviewer. She said he would be perfect aloud and the young woman said she could set it up. Jane was going to be Cal Bonner's birthday present. They even tied a pink bow around her neck. Jane couldn't believe what she had to do, but I don't think she counted on Cal finding out her little secret.
Cal Bonner was nobody's dummy. Yes, he was a football player, but he happened to be one with a degree in Biology. Cal came from a family where the men seemed to get caught up with having to marry a woman because she was pregnant. When he first met Jane, he knew she was no ordinary hooker. He didn't believe she was a hooker at all. He overheard Jodie talking about how she set up his birthday gift. Cal made Jodie tell him who Jane was and everything. He was so mad he could have hurt Jane. He confronted her and made her marry him and that's when the fun starts.
I don't want to go on because I know I will give it all away. You will love this book. The characters were good and you could actually visiualize alot of the scenes in the book. This is my second book by Ms. Phillips, the first one was First Lady. I am now trying to find all of her books. She is a good writer and I enjoy her stories. They aren't as heavy with issues as some others I've read recently. I'm glad my friends told me about her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner!, June 29 2001
Tina (Queens, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed this book and I have to disagree with the person who said she didn't care for Cal in the first 100 pages because of how he acted. He seemed unforgiving toward Jane, this is true, but he was entitled to it in my opinion. He hadn't even wanted to sleep with her when he thought she was a hooker and she tricked him. He was wronged and I didn't blame him for being bitter since his choices were taken away - no one likes that. I enjoyed how both characters developed thoughout the book because of their experiences together. She mellowed out, not being so uptight and dignified all the time. He finally had someone he can be himself with. I think Jane dealt with his overbearing issues quite well. Cal's mentality may have been a bit old-fashioned (though, how many old fashioned men would have let you hang out with their competitive enemies?) he was charming nonetheless. This book is not to be missed. After this one, read Dream a Little Dream, Cal's brother Gabe's book, which is another great story. Gotta love those Bonners.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny, funny, funny, April 14 2001
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
How would I start to review this book? I was laughing all the way reading the book. It was so funny that sometimes I have to take a break because I could not stop laughing. It was cleverly written with enough jokes and charms to satisfy any reader. The story starts with Dr Jane Darlington, a total genius that wanted a baby that is as normal as possible (neither clever brains nor dumb). So, who did our PhD doctor choose? A sport man who was dumb (in her opinion, all sport persons are dumb) and have a one night stand with him. Cal Bonner, the quarterback of Chicago was a prefect choice. Jane was pregnant in a short time but Cal find out about her pregnancy. Cal forced her to enter a marriage of convenience and divorce her after she she delivered the baby. Both of them falls in love and (gasp!) she found out he was actually a genius. That piece of information frustrated Jane but all ended well at the end. There is another love story that is developed by the author. I wouldn't tell you about it, but it did touch my heart about searching and questioning our old love. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endearing, origional, and painfully funny!, April 11 2001
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a big fan of Susan Elizabeth Phillips and _Nobody's Baby But Mine_ has got to be one of my favorites. Ms. Phillips is the expert at humorous romance and this book had me in stiches. I've never laughed so hard reading a book before. Dr. Jane Darlington and Cal Bonner have got to be some of the wildest, most interesting characters I have ever read about. So the story line is a tinsy bit hard to believe... it doesn't matter. Ms. Phillips brings her work alive and keeps you reading late into the night. Her plot was interesting and all of the twists and turns it took held me right until the last word. Jane and Cal are so fun to read about that you simply can not put this book down. I just love Ms. Phillips' special combination of laughter and tears- it is the perfect combination and makes her books winners. Her characters are special individuals with amazing stories and lovely lives. There are some highly origional scenes in this book. I will never look at Lucky Charms the same way ever again.

5.0 out of 5 stars She Never Fails to Make Me Laugh and Cry!, Oct. 21 2000
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
Laughter and tears are the two best ingredients essential for a great novel. SEP never fails to deliver! "Nobody's Baby But Mine," is a real tear-jerker. Dr. Jane Darlington desperately wants a child, but she's a brainy physicist who thinks she's a sexual dud. Au contraire! Jane meets Cal Bonner, or more specifically, targets Cal Bonner to be the unwitting father of her child. Who would have thought that America's top physicist and a football player would get together? At first, I found Cal to be very juvenile because of his preference for young brainless women, but the reader will discover the reason behind his silly preference and it really just makes you laugh. This, along with other incidents add humour to the story. Although Cal seems brash and inconsiderate towards Jane, I think that he loved her almost from the start. There was definitely an attraction! It was just a matter of revealing truths and growing to trust each other. I've read "Noboby's Baby But Mine," about three or four times. This surely predicates a great novel!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is why I read romance!, March 16 2000
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
I read a lot of romance books, by many different authors, but no one can compare to Susan Elizabeth Phillips! Nobody's Baby But Mine was the first book by her I read. I read it so fast, I was mad because it was over so fast! I loved all her characters because they were so real to me I was truly caught up in their lives! Nobody, I mean nobody has a sense of humor as Susan does! Besides at the time I read the book, which was about a year ago, I had just embraced the sport of football! (Thanks to my son!) I pictured her hero as Howie Long! I kept telling people that this was so obvious! (Or maybe just wishful thinking on my part!) I love all her books, but the football themed ones are my favorite. After reading Nobody's Baby But Mine, I had to read everything by Susan I could get my hands on! She is truly unique! I usaully read about 4-7 books a week, so it gets pretty expensive, I frequent most all the libraries in my area to search for her books. Finding a Susan Elizabeth Phillips on the shelf is next to impossible they're so in demand! Still I managed to pretty much read them all. I always purchase my favorites though! Even reading as many books as I do, I sometimes read hers more than once! Susan I love you, you are simply marvelous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love those Bonner's, May 25 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
After reading the second book, Dream A Little Dream, (read backwards on accident) I felt like I knew this family well. Nobody's Baby but Mine is the first book in this wonderful series about the Bonner family.
On Jane Darlington's 34th birthday, she realizes that one thing is missing from her life, a baby. Although she desperately wants a baby, she doesn't want a husband. After some research she finds the perfect "sperm donor", Cal Bonner, the aging quarterback for the Chicago Chiefs. The reason Cal is picked is because he is presumed to be "a dumb hillbilly". After being set up as Cal's 36th "birthday present", Jane finds herself pregnant. She is thrilled. Unfortunately, (or fortunately??) Cal finds out about it. Being no dummy, he doesn't want his child to be raised without a father so he forces Jane to marry him (planning a convient divorce after the baby is born).
After the quickie marriage, Jane and Cal leave for North Carolina to spend 3 months. There they fight a lot and finally fall in love, although without a lot of snags.
When I first started this book I didn't like Jane and Cal. Dowdy Jane seemed too straight laced and boring and Cal seemed like a jerk. Throughout the book I began to love the couple as I did Rachel and Gabe in Dream A Little Dream. With the second book, this book also had a secondary story that was wonderful. Cal's parents Lynn and Jim are having problems and finally realize that, although they were forced into marriage at a very young age, they have a true love for eachother. I hope that Kevin is in a book sometime in the future. I really liked the guy.
If you're a fan of Susan Elizabeth Phillips (or if you're not become one!) this book is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!!, March 5 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
Dr. Jane Darlington, a lonely genius physicist, want to have a baby. But because of the hurtful childhood she had due to her intelligence, she seeks to become impregnated by a stupid man, hoping to balance the brain scale. She sets her sight on legendary quarterback, Cal Bonner. She pretends to be a whore in order to bed the "dumb jock". After two nights, she becomes pregnant. But soon her smooth plan goes haywire when Cal finds out what she's done. Unfortunately for Jane, Cal is not the dumb jock she thought him to be. He is a highly intelligent man who uses his keen intelligence coldly and calculatedly against anyone who crosses him. He forces her to marry him only for a temporary basis until their child is born. Well, sparks practically explode when the two are under the same roof. But though they fight against it, they soon fall madly in love. We also meet Cal's parents, who are also having marital problems. We meet the youngest Bonner, Ethan, a gorgeous minister and their blunt but loving grandmother. Fortunately for us, Jane and Cal, after a funny showdown, finally admit their love. They decide that they cannot live without the other. Cal's parents, particularly his father, confront old demons and win, allowing their love to blossom once again. NOBODY'S BABY BUT MINE is a fabulous book that will make you laugh, cry, yell and cheer. I recommend it and it's sequel DREAM A LITTLE DREAM, the story of the elusive middle Bonner brother, Gabriel. You'll love them both. Trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual lead and great writing style, Feb. 15 2000
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
A friend recommended SEP's books to me and this was the first one I picked up. It really hooked me for several reasons...one was the very unusual female lead. Usually romances don't have genius scientists as heroines, and this one was drawn in a way I found very believable...and touching, that she didn't want to pass on the problems of her difficult childhood to her prospective baby. But also, SEP absolutely hooked me with the first chapter, which is one of the best uses of POV that I've ever seen. The reader meets the heroine through the point of view of, frankly, a bimbo who's a sports groupie...talk about opposites, but the way it was written gave a good deal of insight into the main character and was actually pretty sympathetic to the pov character. The rest of the book lived up to the promise of the first chapter ...it combined humor, conflict, and romance for a truly wonderful mix. I recommend this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars If only we could all have our own Cal Bonner..., Feb. 10 2001
This review is from: Nobodys Baby But Mine (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read a lot of romance novels and lusted after a fair number of heros, but Cal Bonner is the only one I wanted to lift whole from the book and take home for my very own. He's incredible - a star quarterback with a killer body, tremendous wit, an impressive intellect and great values. Sure, he can get a little grumpy and stubborn, but usually in a sexy, kind of adorable way. Thank goodness Susan Elizabeth Phillips created Jane Darlington, a woman worthy of Cal. Jane is an egghead physicist intent upon finding a physicially perfect but intellectually challenged sperm doner. She mistakenly assumes that Cal is going to fill the bill, but boy is she wrong. The ensuing struggle between these two is hilarious, touching and very sexy. SEP always writes great books, but this is one of her very best. Even if you're not a big romance reader, I promise that you're going to love this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Nobodys Baby But Mine
Nobodys Baby But Mine by Susan E Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1997)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54