5.0 out of 5 stars Melt-ilicious, A MUST-READ!
I finished reading this book in one sitting. I loved this book so much I wanted to read it again straight away!! I wanted to give this 100 stars!
Published on March 5 2003 by hunnee8

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Touching But Characters Thin, Some Plot Implausible
Victoria Lyndon, the seventeen-year-old daughter of the local vicar, is stunned to meet Robert Kemble, the young Earl of Macclesfield, and is even more stunned when he starts courting her. But when their fathers prevent them from eloping-and each thinks the other has betrayed him/her, they are both plunged into seven years of a bitter broken heart.
Victoria runs...
Published on Aug. 24 2003 by Trisha A. Howell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Quinn can do so much better!, March 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I have loved so many of Julia Quinn's novels (the Bridgerton series is fantastic!) that it hurt my heart to dislike this book. But I really did. Any other author would have gotten 1 star for this boring, anger-filled book, but Quinn has given me so much reading pleasure in the past that I had to show some mercy here. What bothered me the most is that while Quinn has proven herself more than capable of fleshing out characters and creating complex and compelling dialogue, she does neither her. The hero and heroine are both shown at only a shallow depth, and what is revealed makes them both seem childish and mean beyond what their past would call for. Their conversations could have been written by any decent student in a high school English class, with little of Quinn's typically clever turn of phrase. If Quinn's name had not been on the cover, I never would have believed she was the author. I will continue to read her work as often as I can, because I have adored so much of her writing, but I will try to forget that she penned this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Touching But Characters Thin, Some Plot Implausible, Aug. 24 2003
Trisha A. Howell "Howell Canyon Press author" (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Victoria runs away from home and goes to work for the amazingly cruel and insulting Lady Hollingwood, as a governess to her impossibly bratty son Neville. It's been seven years since she's seen Robert, but she's been unable to forget him. When he shows up at a weekend house part Lady Hollingwood throws, Victoria is speechless.
Robert is furious: here she is in front of him-the woman who wanted him only for his money and title and whom he still burns for. He's spent seven years in other women's arms trying unsuccessfully to extricate Victoria from his heart. Now he vows to seduce and abandon her to get his revenge.
But as Robert forces his attentions onto a hesitant yet attracted Victoria, he soon realizes that he can never let her go. He won't marry her but he'll bind her to him forever. When he asks her to be his mistress instead of his wife, Victoria's heart is broken a second time, and all she can think of is escaping from the man she will never be able to banish from her heart.
This novel has a touching beginning-the courtship between Victoria and Robert is beautiful and refreshing. However, the subsequent rift between them is frankly implausible: there is no way the reader can believe that Robert would assume the worst when Victoria fails to show up for their elopement, even after he spies her asleep in her bed. He has no way to know her reasons, and to abandon her without finding them out reflects very badly on him. Even when the reader gets over this, Victoria then seems incredible when she is for awhile irritatingly prudish and churlish.
Yet despite this and despite the failure to fully develop Victoria and Robert's characters, Everything and the Moon is often fun and touching. It is especially delightful when Robert kidnaps Victoria and takes her to a deserted cottage on the coast where they must somehow work out their differences. The dialogue and overall sensibility is not as humorous as Quinn's earlier trilogy, but this is still overall an entertaining novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melt-ilicious, A MUST-READ!, March 5 2003
"hunnee8" (Melbourne, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a story that was light (but not shallow) in plot but heavy in love, which is wonderfully refreshing since most of the other romances I have read have many deep plots and misunderstandings that can sometimes be a little too much for us "gentle readers". I will not summarize this story since it has been done by other reviewers.
Robert Kemble's character (who has become one of my all-time favorite heroes) shone so brightly you could not help but fall smack bang in love with him. He is an original Hero, a man who was not so egoistic that he could not accept his mistakes. Instead, he put his whole life into making amends and never EVER hesitated in declaring his love for our Heroine, Victoria Lyndon, in both action and words. Over and over again in the story his love, adoration and loyalty was displayed. Just to melt the reader more, Robert has to rescue Victoria many many times in this novel and even when his own life was at risk, is only concerned for Victoria. His love/knowledge of science is not only endearing but caused me so much laughter, and who could resist a hero who is capable of being teary eyed? ~sigh~
Victoria Lyndon is a woman who brought the excitement, dispair/tears and frustration to the story. Her antics as she attempted to run away from the man she loved made me feel slightly annoyed (in an interested way) yet laugh at the same time, hold my breath from a kind of nervousness and anticipation, then read as fast as I could to find out what would happen to her. The traumas, trials and confusion she endured made me cry. The strength in her character both satisfied and frustrated me.
To achieve these emotions in a reader only proves that Quinn is indeed one of the top writers. Everything is described and rendered in such a way that you felt you were standing in the same room as the characters or sitting in ther mind, listening to their thoughts.
The side characters were beautifully placed and written about enough for the reader to feel that they knew these characters and were used to not just fill out the storyline, but to lift and support the hero and heroine along to the end.
For those of you who loves a romance that is dripping with love from front cover to backpage (unlike most novels that uses more ditches than rises to capture the reader) and a story that makes you go "awwwww" every other minute, "Everything and the Moon" is a must-read!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just About Average, July 21 2002
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Let me preface this review by saying that I really like Julia Quinn. She is, in fact, one of my favorite romance authors ever. I discovered her with "The Duke and I," I devour each of the Bridgerton books as they come out, and now I've gone looking for her earlier books to tide me over until the next installment.
Unfortunately, "Everything and the Moon" is not one of her best works. It's not *bad*, by any means, but there's nothing particualarly memorable about it either. The plot doesn't flow very well -- each segment seems a little disjointed from the one that came before -- and it could have borrowed from any of a thousand other romance novels. The characters don't really stand out either; they're fairly generic, as if they were sent from Central Casting and not fleshed out at all. I've just finished the book, and I have a feeling that in a few days, I won't remember much about it at all.
Despite this middle-of-the-road quality, it does have its good points; I occasionally saw flashes of Ms. Quinn's trademark wit and style. Robert's reaction when he almost walked in on Victoria in the bath amused me to no end, and the way Victoria trounces the villain at the end of the book made me both laugh and cheer. But, on the whole, this book was rather flat.
This is one of Ms. Quinn's earlier efforts, and it shows -- she has greatly improved as writer since then, in my opinion. If you're just looking for a regency romance to read, there's nothing actually *wrong* with this book; there's just nothing really exciting about it. If you're looking for early Julia Quinn, I recommend reading "To Catch an Heiress" instead; it's much more lively and charming. If you've never read anything by Julia Quinn before, I recommend picking up a copy of "The Duke and I," the first volume of the Bridgerton series -- you'll be letting yourself in for a real treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars I Fell In Love With This Book & Its Characters!!!, Jan. 4 2002
Heather (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
What a wonderful book! Here is another novel that will be staying on my shelf just because I loved it so much! This was my first Julia Quinn story and I picked it in a rush rather randomly at the book store, and I was NOT disapointed!
Julia Quinn has an amazing talent, her characters were so real, as were their andventures and their love for one another. Not to mention that the story was full of humor. Laughter and tears were inevitable.
This book almost entirely revolved around their love and heartache. If you're looking for a romance novel that is heavily into the romance (some seem to have all plot and little to no romance) this is a must read! I do agree with another reviewer that Victoria did perhaps play hard to get too hard, but her heart had been broken for 7 long years, and, frankly, it makes things more interesting when the characters don't behave as we would like them to!! That's what makes the words on the pages become more than just "words" and somehow weaves itself into a wonderful adventure that keeps you turning the pages to find out what the characters will do next.
And awesome book!! I'm certain I will be rushing to the book store with an aim this time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven years is a long time!, Sept. 18 2001
Tiffany Lloyd (Phoenix, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Seven years ago Victoria Lyndon, daughter of a vicar, and Robert Kemble, future Earl of Macclesfield, fell madly and deeply in love. To the point that they planned to run away and elope, no matter what their fathers say or think! However when Victoria's father catches her sneeking out of the house, he makes sure she isn't going anywhere; and Robert assumes that Victoria was nothing but a fortune hunter who just wanted his title and money! Whereas Victoria is positive that Robert was just using her as a summer fling to keep himself from getting bored.
Seven years later, Robert is the hansome, extremly wealthy , and powerful nobleman; and Victoria is now a governess to a spoiled rotten 5 year old. Both Robert and Victoria are furious with the other because they are still under the impression that one was using the other and never even loved them. What either of them can't figure out is why they just can't seem to NOT want to be with the other, and why their hearts always start to pound when the other comes into sight, after they meet again after 7 years!!
Julia Quinn is by far one of my favorite authors now. In every book that I've read of her's, she has done a perfect job with everything that makes a book great! Just after the first chapter I felt all giddy inside just like the characters! The characters were completely thought out and you could see how each of them were changing and growing as a person, and you could see the love grow again in each of them. I loved this book. I found myself actually laughing out loud throughout most of the book. The only thing it didn't make me do wascry. I've noticed in some of her other books, Mrs. Quinn has the most amazing ability to make he laugh and then 5 chapters later cry. I'm not saying that because I didn't cry it only deserves 4 stars, but it was just a suprise. I give this book 5 stars because it earned every single one of them and more!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't have a choice.. I had to finish it in one sitting!, July 6 1999
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I started reading this book this morning on my way to work (I am a LIRR commuter) and I could not put the book down. Thankfully since I was able to finish my work in record time I was able to finish Everything and the Moon before lunch! I couldn't stop, I tried to slow down my reading (I tend to read really fast, only leaving myself to re-read the book after I've finished to learn of the things I might of missed) I even tried closing the book and waiting until my trip home, but I just couldn't. I loved Robert and I loved Torie (not to mention that I happen to love that nickname for a woman) and I especially loved the mention of the Duke of Ashbourne, which only served to remind me of Splendid (another one of Ms. Quinn's treasures)! This book, along with all of her other books, are delightful! Filled with love and laughter, wit and charm. If you do not read anything for the rest of this century, read her books. SPLENDID, DANCING AT MIDNIGHT and MINX, then EVERYTHING AND THE MOON and BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN, and finally TO CATCH AN HEIRESS and HOW TO MARRY A MARQUIS! You won't be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Quinn's Best Work!, June 4 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of Julia Quinn's books. This book is my all time favorite. I have read it a couple of times in the last couple of years. The characters are very lovable, the dialogue is witty, and the plot is quite funny. The book serves as a reminder that first love is always something to treasure and remember. In this case, the scenario is first love for both characters then an elopement goes awry and a big misunderstanding ensues. Seven years later, the two meet again, and love rekindles. The hero tries to make apologies for the misunderstanding via a courtship with sweets and pastries. The characters are both vulnerable to each other during the courtship. He is afraid she will never forgive him and she is afraid he will hurt her again. I have enjoyed all of Quinn's works with the exception of "To Marry An Heiress." If you enjoyed "Dancing At Midnight" and "Splendid" then you will love this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars A Prolonged Hostility -- 2.5 Stars., Feb. 8 2004
MaryGrace Meloche (Ontario, Canada.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
With this work, Julia Quinn has tumbled into the writers' pond of thinking -- that the swells of conflict are the keys to remarkable reading. Ah yes, every romance reader's dream is to drag through three hundred pages filled with down and dirty quarreling all in the name of love.
Even with dry wit sprinkled throughout, the author's words are long and drawn. In this Quinn book, we find two people, who are the ages of 31 and 24, and they go at each other to the extreme.
Victoria is the nastiest. This little shrew is supposed to be a vicar's daughter. I guess she missed the lesson on forgiveness. On the other hand, Robert was absent the day his governess taught Life's Lesson 101-- "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see".
For more delightful reading check out Quinn's "The Duke and I" and/or "An Offer from a Gentleman" both are fun.
Grace Atkinson, Ontario - Canada.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Dialogue, March 2 2002
Layla Halabi (Dubai - UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Julia Quinn is incomparable when it comes to dialogue. Her characters come across as real people saying and thinking things that real people say and think. They're funny, sad, gentle, sensual, loving, lovable and unforgettable!
This is the story of the star-crossed lovers who fall in love, get separated and then meet again.. he wants revenge, she wants to erase him from her history. They both fail.
You might find yourself feeling a little sorry for Robert by the second half of the book because Victoria does not give up.. she drives him to the edge, several times, but he never gives up on her. There a part when he is faced with 'eight hens' and his groom advices him that 'now might not be the best of time to be a rooster.." where I laughed so hard, people thought I was going crazy..
Lovely book, lovely read.. don't miss it and if this is your first Julia Quinn, don't hesitate, she'll get you hooked.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Everything And The Moon
Everything And The Moon by Julia Quinn (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 1997)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89