5.0 out of 5 stars Melt-ilicious, A MUST-READ!
I finished reading this book in one sitting. I loved this book so much I wanted to read it again straight away!! I wanted to give this 100 stars!
Published on March 5 2003 by hunnee8

3.0 out of 5 stars This book lacked sizzle.
Published on April 7 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars This book lacked sizzle., April 7 2004
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I liked the plot and found the characters endearing, if a bit two dimensional. However, there was no sizzle! The characters are intimate twice in the book and both times are DULL. They have pined for each other for 7 years, have 7 years of passion-filled longing for one another, and yet the first time they make love it's over so fast and is so boring that you're not even sure anything happened.
The descriptions of the amorous scenes leave alot to be desired. The characters are so full of passion for one another that you just want them to go nuts for each other. Unfortunately, J.Q. fell terribly short on that aspect.
It was entertaining and fluffy. If you like the romance novels with little to no sex, this is your book. (...)

2.0 out of 5 stars Quinn can do so much better!, March 1 2004
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I have loved so many of Julia Quinn's novels (the Bridgerton series is fantastic!) that it hurt my heart to dislike this book. But I really did. Any other author would have gotten 1 star for this boring, anger-filled book, but Quinn has given me so much reading pleasure in the past that I had to show some mercy here. What bothered me the most is that while Quinn has proven herself more than capable of fleshing out characters and creating complex and compelling dialogue, she does neither her. The hero and heroine are both shown at only a shallow depth, and what is revealed makes them both seem childish and mean beyond what their past would call for. Their conversations could have been written by any decent student in a high school English class, with little of Quinn's typically clever turn of phrase. If Quinn's name had not been on the cover, I never would have believed she was the author. I will continue to read her work as often as I can, because I have adored so much of her writing, but I will try to forget that she penned this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Prolonged Hostility -- 2.5 Stars., Feb. 8 2004
MaryGrace Meloche (Ontario, Canada.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
With this work, Julia Quinn has tumbled into the writers' pond of thinking -- that the swells of conflict are the keys to remarkable reading. Ah yes, every romance reader's dream is to drag through three hundred pages filled with down and dirty quarreling all in the name of love.
Even with dry wit sprinkled throughout, the author's words are long and drawn. In this Quinn book, we find two people, who are the ages of 31 and 24, and they go at each other to the extreme.
Victoria is the nastiest. This little shrew is supposed to be a vicar's daughter. I guess she missed the lesson on forgiveness. On the other hand, Robert was absent the day his governess taught Life's Lesson 101-- "Believe none of what you hear, and half of what you see".
For more delightful reading check out Quinn's "The Duke and I" and/or "An Offer from a Gentleman" both are fun.
Grace Atkinson, Ontario - Canada.

2.0 out of 5 stars Romance Novel 101, Dec 1 2003
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
It doesn't get much more cliche than this one, folks. It's like Julia Quinn took Romance Novel Writing 101 and promptly wrote this one. The characters are cardboard, the plot is implausible, and the love scenes are unoriginal.
There's absolutely no reason to waste your time reading this. Instead, consider some of Quinn's later works like OFFER FROM A GENTLEMAN.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun and Touching But Characters Thin, Some Plot Implausible, Aug. 24 2003
Trisha A. Howell "Howell Canyon Press author" (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Victoria Lyndon, the seventeen-year-old daughter of the local vicar, is stunned to meet Robert Kemble, the young Earl of Macclesfield, and is even more stunned when he starts courting her. But when their fathers prevent them from eloping-and each thinks the other has betrayed him/her, they are both plunged into seven years of a bitter broken heart.
Victoria runs away from home and goes to work for the amazingly cruel and insulting Lady Hollingwood, as a governess to her impossibly bratty son Neville. It's been seven years since she's seen Robert, but she's been unable to forget him. When he shows up at a weekend house part Lady Hollingwood throws, Victoria is speechless.
Robert is furious: here she is in front of him-the woman who wanted him only for his money and title and whom he still burns for. He's spent seven years in other women's arms trying unsuccessfully to extricate Victoria from his heart. Now he vows to seduce and abandon her to get his revenge.
But as Robert forces his attentions onto a hesitant yet attracted Victoria, he soon realizes that he can never let her go. He won't marry her but he'll bind her to him forever. When he asks her to be his mistress instead of his wife, Victoria's heart is broken a second time, and all she can think of is escaping from the man she will never be able to banish from her heart.
This novel has a touching beginning-the courtship between Victoria and Robert is beautiful and refreshing. However, the subsequent rift between them is frankly implausible: there is no way the reader can believe that Robert would assume the worst when Victoria fails to show up for their elopement, even after he spies her asleep in her bed. He has no way to know her reasons, and to abandon her without finding them out reflects very badly on him. Even when the reader gets over this, Victoria then seems incredible when she is for awhile irritatingly prudish and churlish.
Yet despite this and despite the failure to fully develop Victoria and Robert's characters, Everything and the Moon is often fun and touching. It is especially delightful when Robert kidnaps Victoria and takes her to a deserted cottage on the coast where they must somehow work out their differences. The dialogue and overall sensibility is not as humorous as Quinn's earlier trilogy, but this is still overall an entertaining novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, but not amazing either, April 5 2003
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
I just finshed reading all of Julia Quinn's novels, this one being the last one I read. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either. Don't get me wrong, I think there's no bad Julia Quinn book, it's just that some are so great that others pale by comparison. This is one of them.
All the character's were likable and it was endearing to see characters from other novels mentioned (like the Duke of Ashbourne and Emma from "Splendid"). There were also a few moments that had me cracking up, like the dress shop incident. Still, I found Victoria to be irritating at times and I thought that the love-hate banter between Victoria and Robert was dragged out.
I'm giving this novel 3 stars because there are other Julia Quinn books that are so much better. However, if you're a Julia Quinn addict you should read it, just so you can appreciate her recent work even more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melt-ilicious, A MUST-READ!, March 5 2003
"hunnee8" (Melbourne, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a story that was light (but not shallow) in plot but heavy in love, which is wonderfully refreshing since most of the other romances I have read have many deep plots and misunderstandings that can sometimes be a little too much for us "gentle readers". I will not summarize this story since it has been done by other reviewers.
Robert Kemble's character (who has become one of my all-time favorite heroes) shone so brightly you could not help but fall smack bang in love with him. He is an original Hero, a man who was not so egoistic that he could not accept his mistakes. Instead, he put his whole life into making amends and never EVER hesitated in declaring his love for our Heroine, Victoria Lyndon, in both action and words. Over and over again in the story his love, adoration and loyalty was displayed. Just to melt the reader more, Robert has to rescue Victoria many many times in this novel and even when his own life was at risk, is only concerned for Victoria. His love/knowledge of science is not only endearing but caused me so much laughter, and who could resist a hero who is capable of being teary eyed? ~sigh~
Victoria Lyndon is a woman who brought the excitement, dispair/tears and frustration to the story. Her antics as she attempted to run away from the man she loved made me feel slightly annoyed (in an interested way) yet laugh at the same time, hold my breath from a kind of nervousness and anticipation, then read as fast as I could to find out what would happen to her. The traumas, trials and confusion she endured made me cry. The strength in her character both satisfied and frustrated me.
To achieve these emotions in a reader only proves that Quinn is indeed one of the top writers. Everything is described and rendered in such a way that you felt you were standing in the same room as the characters or sitting in ther mind, listening to their thoughts.
The side characters were beautifully placed and written about enough for the reader to feel that they knew these characters and were used to not just fill out the storyline, but to lift and support the hero and heroine along to the end.
For those of you who loves a romance that is dripping with love from front cover to backpage (unlike most novels that uses more ditches than rises to capture the reader) and a story that makes you go "awwwww" every other minute, "Everything and the Moon" is a must-read!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, Jan. 9 2003
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
One of my favorite books by Julia Quinn and I have them all! I wanted to give it 10 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, Dec 31 2002
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Although I got kind of annoyed with how Victoria kept on refusing Robert (even though she found out he was innocent of just trying to get into her pants and then abandoning her) all in all "Everything and the Moon" was a good book. I liked Victoria, except for her stubbornness, however Robert was the book's saving grace. He was sweet, intelligent, and most of all kind. He is a nice change from some of the cruel heroes that are so prevalent in books today. The plot was was well done and generally fast moving. "Everything and the Moon" was a good book that I would recomend to anybody as a plesant (if a tiny bit dull) read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just About Average, July 21 2002
This review is from: Everything And The Moon (Mass Market Paperback)
Let me preface this review by saying that I really like Julia Quinn. She is, in fact, one of my favorite romance authors ever. I discovered her with "The Duke and I," I devour each of the Bridgerton books as they come out, and now I've gone looking for her earlier books to tide me over until the next installment.
Unfortunately, "Everything and the Moon" is not one of her best works. It's not *bad*, by any means, but there's nothing particualarly memorable about it either. The plot doesn't flow very well -- each segment seems a little disjointed from the one that came before -- and it could have borrowed from any of a thousand other romance novels. The characters don't really stand out either; they're fairly generic, as if they were sent from Central Casting and not fleshed out at all. I've just finished the book, and I have a feeling that in a few days, I won't remember much about it at all.
Despite this middle-of-the-road quality, it does have its good points; I occasionally saw flashes of Ms. Quinn's trademark wit and style. Robert's reaction when he almost walked in on Victoria in the bath amused me to no end, and the way Victoria trounces the villain at the end of the book made me both laugh and cheer. But, on the whole, this book was rather flat.
This is one of Ms. Quinn's earlier efforts, and it shows -- she has greatly improved as writer since then, in my opinion. If you're just looking for a regency romance to read, there's nothing actually *wrong* with this book; there's just nothing really exciting about it. If you're looking for early Julia Quinn, I recommend reading "To Catch an Heiress" instead; it's much more lively and charming. If you've never read anything by Julia Quinn before, I recommend picking up a copy of "The Duke and I," the first volume of the Bridgerton series -- you'll be letting yourself in for a real treat!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Everything And The Moon
Everything And The Moon by Julia Quinn (Mass Market Paperback - March 1 1997)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89