5.0 out of 5 stars Stirring-loss, survival, passion, & the love of a little boy
Susan Elizabeth Phillips is quickly becoming a favorite author of mine. This is her fourth book I have read in the past month and I have given three of those books the highest rating. Her stories are so touching and full of life. In Dream a Little Dream, her leads are very likable with well-rounded and interesting secondary characters. And one of those secondary...
Published on Feb. 11 2004 by V

3.0 out of 5 stars A Different Tenor for Susan Elizabeth Phillips
I'd like to take a moment to say: Ms. Phillips THANK YOU for writing romances and stories that do not feature murder to catalyze a plot or to furnish a conflict. I am tired of repetitive romantic suspense. Thanks for not going there.
I wasn't able to get through 'Dream a Little Dream' a few years ago. I thought, "A Drive-In Movie Theater?? What is...
Published on Dec 4 2001 by --corinne--

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream A Little Dream, March 25 2000
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
Susan Elizabeth Phillips packs a heavy punch through her words. This book was so emotional, it drains your senses while enchanting the whole way through. Rachel is a woman to be admired for her gutsy, driven personality. I like how SEP gives her charachters a gritty, down-to-earth, in-the-mud kind of life. There is never too much glitter in her stories, even when they start out in the high life, SEP knocks them all off their pedastals and forces them (and her readers) to face the dirty side of life. "Dream A Little Dream" takes on the after effects of a televangelist's downfall. He's dead, but he left behind a bitter town, and a wife soiled by his fall. Five years later, Rachel returns to Salvation with her young son in tow, to retrieve the five million dollars, her husband embezzled from the town and his followers. Rachel meets Gabe, the black sheep son of the town's fabled family. Gabe has demons of his own, and he wants nothing to do with Rachel and especially her child.
I was fighting for Rachel every time I flipped a page. It was sad when it ended...I wanted to continue being a voyeur into Rachel and Gabe's story.

5.0 out of 5 stars ummmmmmmm.....WOW!, March 13 2000
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
WOW....What can I say. This book was just oh-so-special. If the rating system allowed me to give as many stars as I want to give, I would have given thousands of stars and more. I know that endings in SEP's novels sometimes tend to be just toooooo happy to adjust to,but all is forgiven in this book because it's so very special in many other ways. After being so thoroughly disgusted reading the highly acclaimed novel of Judith Mcnaught's "Whitney,my love," the unengaging, brutal, forced play-on-emotion story of empty glitter and bubbles, reading this novel was like facing the bright, sunny sky once again after walking through a long, dark cave.(A little too dramatic? I don't think so. Yeah, yeah, if you haven't noticed, I have a very strong personal feelings about the other book, Ones not so positive.) This novel, "Dream a little dream," has such sencitivity and caring ways about handleing some heavy issues that can weigh you down, altogether keeping the readers awake and interested with clever dialogues between characters. It is a warm, funny read which aimes right at your heart with the right emotions. No more talking here, just see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars ummmmmmmm.....WOW!, March 7 2000
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
WOW....What can I say. This book was just oh-so-special. If the rating system allowed me to give as many stars as I wanted to give, I would have given thousands of stars and more. I know that endings in SEP's novels sometimes tend to be just toooooo happy to adjust to,but all is forgiven in this book because it's so very special in many other ways. After being so thoroughly disgusted reading the highly acclaimed novel of Judith Mcnaught's "Whitney,my love," the unengaging, brutal, forced play-on-emotion story of empty glitter and bubbles, reading this novel was like facing the bright, sunny sky once again after walking through a long, dark cave.(A little too dramatic? I don't think so. Yeah, yeah, if you haven't noticed, I have a very strong personal feelings about the other book, Ones not so positive. Forgive me, my intention is not to offend anyone, I'm just trying to make a comparison here.) This novel, "Dream a little dream," has such sencitivity and caring ways about handleing some heavy issues that can weigh you down, altogether keeping the readers awake and interested with clever dialogues between characters. It is a warm, funny read which aimes right at your heart with the right emotions. No more talking here, just see for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite contemporary I read in 1999!, Jan. 1 2000
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
This book absolutly had me hooked! I almost finished it in one day, but once again that sleep thing got in the way.
Three years after leaving Salvation, NC after her televangalist husband is killed and found to have stolen money from the congregation, Rachel Stone is back to try to find the five million dollars that he stashed away. Unfortunately, things don't go well for Rachel. She has nine dollars in her pocket, a car that just broke down (which has also been her home for the past week), a five year old son and has to deal with Gabriel Bonner.
Two years after Gabe's wife Cherry and their five year old son Jamie was killed by a drunk driver, Gabe is still greiving. He's a very unhappy man, especially when Rachel Stone shows up with her kid and wants a job. Reluctantly he gives her a job and the two eventually fall in love, although they wouldn't dare admit it.
Since Rachel's husband swindled the town out of millions of dollars the entire town of Salvation, NC hates her. She can't go down the street without names being called or having her tires slashed. Gabe is time and again coming to her rescue.
Something that I both liked and disliked about this book was Ethan and Kristy's relationship. I really found I enjoyed their story, but they should have had their own book. That is my only complaint.
Overall, excellent read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, well worth the money, Dec 16 1999
D. Smith "mulan345" (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
A very enjoyable read. The heroine(s) in this book take different paths but eventually reach their goals of self-discovery and fulfillment. Rachel must battle her past relationship with a corrupted pastor and a town's inability to offer forgiveness. Kirsty wages a war within herself to find the love of her life...by first loving herself. I loved the complex nature of the dialogs. Romance wasn't a melodramatic moment that left the reader wondering if that much syrupy conversation was safe to digest in one setting. Instead the romance between the males and females in the book took on a different level of caring and sensitivity. Themes that were handled with care, grace and humor: overlooking the beauty that is right beneath your nose, grieving the lost of a family, holding on to your faith, etc. It would seem with the many complexities and varied themes, this book would be a jumble of cliches. Instead it is a well written love story that I will keep in my list of treasured books. Although SEP has not been one of my favorite authors, this is definitely one of my favorite stories. Great job.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was hooked!, May 26 1999
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars New territory with this book, very well done, wow!!!, Feb. 28 1998
florkow (Vienna, Austria) - See all my reviews
Wonderful!
I am a longtime fan, I already liked Hot Shot, Glitter Baby and Fancy Pants, her more serious (older) books a lot. When she began, with It Had to Be You, to write wonderfully funny and still touching books, I just couldn't wait for the next one, and I kept rereading them again and again, they are so special!
Now, Dream a Little Dream is again new territory, still funny, but much less so, and dealing with a very tough subject. The heroine is really fighting for the survival of her son and herself, she's so poor, she's prepared to do anything to keep her son fed and get money for basic necessities - and yet, she manages to do this with grace. The hero lost a beloved wife and son and is not recovering at all. He's at the edge of just giving up. He behaves horribly and cannot stand the heroine's son.
With this premise, writing a book where you still can laugh sometimes, where you don't hate the hero but understand him, where the heroine is convincing (the right mixture of looking out for herself and still being a good person in such a difficult situation is nearly impossible - but it works here) - I am very impressed. I couldn't put down the book and I was sorry when it ended.
I still hope that Susan Elizabeth Phillips will write "pure fun" books again, they are such a treat! But this a bit darker one was so good, and dealing with subjects like death and poverty and prejudice is so important, that it should be done well. There are few authors who can do it, and I am happy to see that SEP is one of them.
I will read anything she writes and look forward to see where she takes me the next time, her growing palette of writing styles and subjects makes me richer, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love can heal all things, Feb. 6 1998
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
The tone is darker than Phillips" other romances. Rachel and her son Edward are almost over the edge of survival. Because she refuses to take "no" for an answer, and meets her challenges with courage (because she has nothing to lose), Rachel and Edward both receive (in the end) everything they have dreamed about having--and more. People in real life have a habit of expecting every relationship to end badly, if that has happened to them in the past. Rachel and Gabe both took risks to really know and appreciate each other, and that was how they healed their personal wounds to enable them to be in relationship, first, individually (learn to love him/her self), and then to love each other. I have been reading romance novels for about a year and a half, and have been healing my own wounds and assumptions about relationships, though it's not what most people would consider to be "therapy." Susan Elizabeth Phillips is one of the best writers of this genre around. Last year, when I finished "Nobody's Baby But Mine," I was shocked to see that I needed to wait a year for her next book! I feel the same way today. My best friend said she didn't enjoy this one as much, but I think that's because Dream A Little Dream is different: more tension/anxiety and a more hazardous situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific tale straight out of today's headlines, Dec 24 1997
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
Years ago, Rachel Stone's deceased spouse, the Reverend Snopes, a very popular TV evangelist, embezzled several million dollars from the townsfolk of Salvation, North Carolina. When her husband died in a plane crash, the money was never found. Rachel, accompanied by her little boy, decides to return to Salvation in hopes of locating the missing funds.
Gabriel Bonner has never recovered from the deaths of his wife and son. To pass time, he is restoring an old dilapidated drive-in theater. When Rachel's car breaks down by the theater, she asks him for help. He tells her to get lost, something she refuses to do. He eventually hires her because he cannot stand idly by watching the two Stones starve to death. It does not take long for the townsfolk to treat Rachel like a plague-filled Delilah because she is blamed for her husband's fall from grace. However, as Gabe and Delilah work together, their acerbic exchanges awaken their inner souls from long term hibernation. Still, before this couple can take any further steps towards a lasting relationship, he must fully accept that the Rachel working alongside of him is nothing like that public image even his brother believes to be true.
DREAM A LITTLE DREAM is a fun to read contemporary romance due to the relationship between Rachel and Gabe, and the inciteful comments from five year old Edward. The story line of redemption is well designed by the sensational Susan Elizabeth Phillips and the characters add a genuine feel, especially the child, to the tale. This novel is must reading for fans of regional modern day romances constructed, in part, from today's headlines.
Harriet Klausner

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not my favorite of her work, March 22 1998
This review is from: Dream A Little Dream (Mass Market Paperback)
After waiting for this book for a year, I was disappointed and I'm still not sure why. I could have loved Gabe, yet I didn't feel like I really knew him. I thought SEP showed immense courage in the relationship between Gabe and 'Chip'--that part was entirely believable and poignant. But I didn't quite know why Rachel and Gabe loved each other, I didn't believe they were 'meant to be'. I thought the most interesting character in the book (and now I've gone and forgotten her name!!) was Ethan's eventual wife--she gave me the one laugh in the entire book. After having 'met' Ethan in Nobody's Baby, I was looking forward to his story--in fact, I liked Ethan a lot more than I did Gabe, because I felt I knew him better. And I have to say the three pregnant wives ending left me feeling unsatisfied; it was just too 'cute' for my liking. This will be a keeper for me, as are all SEP's books, and I hope she continues to push the boundaries, but this book didn't 'do it' for me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Dream A Little Dream
Dream A Little Dream by Susan E Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1998)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54