5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, without out a doubt!
Published on Jan. 15 2003 by Caramelle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to SEPs very high standards
I'm a BIG SEP fan, but haven't responded this way to one of her books since HONEY MOON. Susan just wasn't "present" for me in LADY, I found myself not liking Lady Emma, or supporting character Tori; usually SEPs women are my favorite people. I will say that LADY was better the second time I read it (also like HONEY MOON), but for an author I usually give 5...
Published on June 12 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Not SEP's best work :-(, May 26 2008
T. Ford - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
I only recently discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips, but have read 5 of her books already, with Lady Be Good being my fifth read. Let me say that the first 4 books I read by SEP (It Had to Be You; This Heart of Mine; Dream a Little Dream and Natural Born Charmer) were fabulous. I laughed, I cried, I loved both the main characters and the secondary characters and I know I will read those books again.

Lady Be Good is another matter altogether. I found the storyline weak and the main female character beyond annoying. She, actually, was pathetic and ridiculous. A self-righteous, know-it-all with, in my view, no redeeming qualities. Without giving the story away, for a supposedly smart woman, she was actually quite stupid and infantile. If Lady E had not been so disagreeable, I would have almost felt sorry for her, but she was the type of person who you just want to tatoo a big "L" on their forehead so others would know right off the bat that the person was a loser.

I did manage to finish the book, but it didn't leave me feeling good. I will, however, read more SEP because one bad book out of five is a good track record.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lively and a bit of seduction, Oct. 15 2003
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
well this book follows the common to SEP scheme: 30 yo spunky virgin meet a boor millionaire playboy and the romance, marriage and pregnancy ensues. (btw only 2% of americans over 25 are virgins ))
Despite the predictable yet unrealistic plot, its the dialogue that wins in this book as in others by SEP. It flirty and lively and even though I would not go back and reread as Wilde's, its still very indulgently enjoyable.
I think in this particular book the male hero is given a chance to be a bit more creative than usually, as he's on a mission to seduce as opposed to some others in SEP's who start relationships on a spur of a moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for a quick fun read, May 25 2003
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
This story was cute and lighthearted; definitely not one of your more serious novels. Kenny was a treat, a real delight. I do like characters like him, they make me laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, without out a doubt!, Jan. 15 2003
Caramelle (Savannah, Ga, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. I usually cannot say that about a book because there are always things in it that bother me. But I can honestly say that "Lady Be Good" was one of the best books I have EVER read. It was one of those books where you're sitting on the couch and laughing so hard that your family worries about your sanity. Seriously, this book is so well written and does a very good job of catching human emotions and insecurities and throwing them together with a rich, unique and rather wicked type of humour. I cannot find a single flaw in it. Excellent, without a doubt!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed til my sides hurt, Nov. 28 2002
"bookwormmom" (Jupiter, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
This is probably my favorite SEP book, and that's saying a lot b/c I love them all! Her characters are so real and loveable, secondary plots have just as much depth as the primary plot, and her sense of humor is just plain wicked. An unbeatable combination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't read this book without reading Fancy Pants!!!, Sept. 25 2002
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
Fancy Pants was good but left you wondering what eventually happened to all of the characters. Lady Be Good provides all of the answers!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book definitely worth reading....., Aug. 13 2002
M. I. "krushedvelvet" (Old Bridge, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my very first book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips...and I enjoyed every moment!!! Being that I prefer historical romances, the modern day backdrop to this book threw me off at first; I decided to give it a shot anyway...and I'm sooo glad I did!!! This book was so charming...it was full of laughs...and not only were Kenny and Emma wonderful, but the secondary characters were outstanding as well!!! I would definitely recommend this and look forward to purchasing more works by this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually 4 1/2 stars, July 9 2002
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
I've only read one other book by Susan Phillips (Heaven, Texas) and that was enough to keep me going back for more. I can definitely already begin to recognize certain trademarks in her work: athlete heros, heroines who are eccentric in one way or another, and great secondary characters. This novel was no exception, although I enjoyed Heaven, Texas more. Phillips does a great job of characterization, always creating characters who do not fit the stereotyped profile of romance novel heroes/heroines. Kenny is sexy in his own lazy, laid-back type of way and the secondary character, Dex, is sexy in his own computer-geek way. Somehow she makes all of this work. I especially enjoy the way Phillips gives readers insight into the thoughts of the characters. She handles this part subtlely by giving us insight into how the characters, especially the heroes, gradually come to realize they're in love with the heroines. Gradually is the key word that makes this so specially. I really hate it when a writer expects readers to believe that the main characters mentally acknowledge their attachment to each other within days of their first encounter. In Phillips' novels, the love a hero feels for the heroine sneaks up on him unawares and readers are privy to that process.
This novel was funny & sexy and I'd recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My prefered book from Susan Elizabeth Phillips, June 30 2002
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
I did buy and read at least twice, every book from her, this is the one I prefer from all. Nothing turns as the other expects. Or as we think it is, but we do know before the caracters.
It is really a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Laughs!!!, May 12 2002
C. Townsend "Chez" (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lady Be Good (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, so the plot is a little kooky, but it only added to the hilarity and good times this book offers. It was a milk-through-the-nose, laugh-out-loud adventure. I laughed so hard that I had tears in my eyes and my husband caught the giggles with me. As for the lazy hero...there are actually parts of the book where you feel jealousy towards the heroine. It is absolutely amazing. This was the first Susan Elizabeth Phillips book I've read, and I'm happily buying up the rest.

ARRAY(0xb6976aa4)

Lady Be Good
Lady Be Good by Susan E Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - Feb. 1 1999)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89