5.0 out of 5 stars Another Birmingham extravaganza!!!
I was so happy that Beau finally got his own book!! He is so hot and I loved how Cernyise knew him and had a crush on him in earlier years. Those kinds of relationships are the ones that make all of us who have ever had a crush sigh dreamily! I have read and bought all of KWs books and she never ceases to amaze me and keep me riveted!!!
Published on Nov. 4 2003 by Kristal Gorman

3.0 out of 5 stars politically correct
I enjoyed this book, but not nearly as much as Shanna or The Wolf and The Dove. But I noticed that KEW has become much more politically correct. Not only does Beau NOT rape Cerynise (which happens in almost all of her novels), but Beau is present at the birth of their son and is even changing diapers! (I found that refreshing, actually...)
Plotwise, this book just...
Published on June 28 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars politically correct, June 28 2004
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
Plotwise, this book just follows the same formula. I would actually have liked to see Beau and Cerynise resolve their problems with each other on the ship, and then have some other external forces or misunderstandings drive them apart again. The tension between them was too stilted.
But I am glad that Cerynise was able to handle the villains on her own in the end, instead of just being the damsel in distress waiting to be rescued again.
And yes, where was the editor -- as other readers have noted, she called Beau "Jeff"!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Birmingham extravaganza!!!, Nov. 4 2003
Kristal Gorman (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars The Elusive Flame, July 31 2002
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
What happened to the Woodiwiss I remember starting with "The Flame and the Flower" "The Wolf and the Dove", etc. They were so full of passion and rich character development. The woman characters now are modern day feminist not at all resembling their female counterparts of the 19th century and the male characters are weak, spineless fools. I miss the Woodiwiss stories which were truly historical romances and not modern day tales in historical settings all caught up in being politically correct and sugar coated so as not to offend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected..., Jan. 19 2002
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Audio Cassette)
Make that 3.5 stars. Although this book isn't as good as some of the vintage Woodiwiss books, it was still better than I expected, and thus, I enjoyed it. It starts off with interesting events - the death of Cerynise's guardian and unexpected arrival of her guardian's heir, Alistair. He doesn't particularly care for Cerynise and he makes no secret of that fact. Before she knows it, she's thrown out on the streets with no money and nowhere to go. Deciding her only choice is to return home to the states, Cerynise heads for the docks. Barely making it to the docks, she is rescued by Beau, a man she knew from her childhood. They enter into a hasty and temporary marriage as a means of keeping Alistair from taking her back as his ward.
During the long voyage to Charleston, Cerynise falls hopelessly in love with Beau. But because the marriage is only temporary, they both try not to give in to temptation and consummate the marriage -- and there's a lot of temptation. By the time they reach Charleston, both are in turmoil about the direction their relationship should take, and unbeknownst to them, Alistair is hot on their trail bringing with him the threat of death, and the destruction of their shaky relationship. To make matters worse, Beau is a much sought after and very wealthy bachelor whose family home is in Charleston. Upon their return, women pose another threat to Cerynise and her shaky marriage as they try to ensnare Beau for themselves.
While the Elusive Flame doesn't make the reader pant and sigh with emotion as much as some of Ms. Woodiwiss' earlier romance novels, it nonetheless delivers enough romance to hold your attention. The story has elements of danger, adventure, suspense, a little mystery, and a lot of jealousy - which adds a nice bit of spice. The different circumstances the two lovers find themselves in also add a good bit of excitement to the story. Both Beau and Cerynise are developed well enough that they come to life, and you can feel their feelings changing from merely curiosity and admiration for each other to a deep and lasting love.
While at first it seemed a little weird to have a man reading this book, I quickly got over my surprise since his reading didn't distract me from the story. Bottom line, this is a book I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD, Jan. 7 2002
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER is my all time favourite romance novel and when i found out that there was a sequel i knew i just had to get my hands on it. When i finally got it i read it and couldn't put it down. It was a really good book and i just love Beau. If your expecting great things from this book than read it and you won't be disappointed, i know i wasn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite author!, Dec 10 2001
Brenda Condit "satinskper" (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
I really love Kathleen's books. I first read "The Flame and the Flower" twenty years ago and I have reread it so many times that I've had to buy four books! I've read all of her books and loved everyone of them. This book was great. I was so happy to find out what had happened to Brandon and Heather. The only thing I didn't like was that this book came out before "A Season Beyond a Kiss" which is Jeff's(Brandon's brother) story. The love scenes in this book are as hot and sensual as all of her other books. Beau is a wonderful hero just like his father. And Cerynise is just strong enough to handle him yet appear shy and fragile at the same time. Buy this book and reread it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisit The Flame and The Flower, Oct. 26 2001
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was wonderful because we got to revisit Beau and Heather and Brandon. Anything Kathleen Woodiwiss writes is excellent. I highly recommend reading The Flame and The Flower first as this book is a sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Aug. 3 2001
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
This book was very good. I was a little disappointed in it because The Flame and the Flower was so incredibly fantastic. The Elusive Flame was good it just didn't have in it what I loved about The Flame And The Flower.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but certainly not the best, July 2 2001
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
I am also a fan of Kathleen Woodiwiss' books, and this was not her best. Many people have mentioned the confusion over the hero's eye-color, but there was something else that bothered me- When Cerynise is being thrown out of the house by Alistair, she questions the will, saying it was written prior to her coming to England as Lydia's ward, and that certainly Lydia must have updated the will after such a big change in her circumstances. Then on the boat, when Alistair attempts to claim her as his ward, Cerynise said that Lydia's will made no provision for her guardianship to be transferred. So did she see a new will or didn't she? Also, they got WAY too intimate immediately after this "marriage of convenience"! There was no tension or longing. I also believe the misunderstanding between Cerynise and Beau was too easily resolved. On the whole, it was too contrived. I expect a certain formula with romance novels, but this one was definitely not up to Kathleen Woodiwiss' standards.

1.0 out of 5 stars Must be written by a ghost writer, June 24 2001
This review is from: The Elusive Flame (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to agree with the first couple of reviews I read. After reading the first few chapters, I checked the date, thinking this must be one of the first Woodiwiss books because I've read others and they were great. But the date was fairly recent. So I think this must have been written by a ghostwriter. Besides the inconsistencies already mentioned, I found the organization poor. Chronologically, the other is jumping all over the place to explain herself. I also got really sick of hearing about his "manly needs" and her "womanly loins". In addition, in the middle of some action, we have to stop and get a 2 paragraph description of what the character was wearing. Not to mention the fact that the main female character hasn't been developed at all. She's supposed to be a gifted painter but we don't get any insight at all into this - but instead have to deal with her tears and remorse throughout the whole book. The only thing she really seems to have going for her are her looks. This is an incredibly boring book and I wouldn't even bother getting it from the library. There are too many other good books out there and not enough time to read them.

The Elusive Flame
The Elusive Flame by Kathleen E Woodiwiss (Mass Market Paperback - May 1 1999)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89