5.0 out of 5 stars SEP
This is a great read. If you are interested in football or in reading about different characters of a book placed into their own stories read these books. There are 5 books centered around football players and their loves and families. A funny, heart warming read.
Published 8 months ago by madeleine

3.0 out of 5 stars good....but the book is better
Published on Jan. 27 2004 by Jem S.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEP, July 29 2013
This review is from: This Heart of Mine (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!!!, June 7 2012
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
This novel was fantastic! I read Match Me if You Can which was followed by Natural Born Charmer. I couldn't wait to read the "prequel" to see how Kevin and Molly met and once I finally got my hands on this book, I couldn't put it down! Great work by Susan Elizabeth Phillips... as if I could ever have anything bad to say about her writing!

2.0 out of 5 stars No chemistry, May 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I tried, but I just didn't feel the chemistry between Molly and Kevin. I felt more chemistry and understanding between Kevin's mom and the painter than Molly and Kevin. Molly came off as really childish and Kevin's character was underdeveloped. Funny read, but fell flat...

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Endearing Love Story..., March 26 2004
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
Molly Somerville had previously lived the kind of life most only dream of. That is, until she decided to give her entire fifteen million dollar inheritance to charity. Now she's the struggling author of children's books featuring the characters Daphne the Bunny and Benny the Badger. It may be a little more than coincidence that Daphne and Benny are mirror images of herself, and the object of her long-term infatuation.
Kevin Tucker is the famous quarterback for the Chicago Stars football team, owned by Molly's sister, Phoebe. Kevin is wild, gorgeous, infuriating and barely knows she's alive. But that's all about to change. Because Molly has a wild streak of her own, and when her and Kevin accidentally end up at the family vacation house together, her wild streak turns into an uncontrollable urge. Kevin is furious, and their lives irrevocably change.
Together they take a trip to Wind Lake, the drab campground of Kevin's childhood summers, which he recently inherited and can't wait to sell. What they find is a surprise - a bed and breakfast and a collection of beautiful, quaint cottages set in picturesque surroundings. Perhaps this is the place to put differences aside, heal old wounds, and grab onto a once in a lifetime love.
This is the fifth, and final installment in the Chicago Stars/Bonner Brothers series. For those of you who may not know, the order is: "It Had To Be You", "Heaven Texas", "Nobody's Baby But Mine", "Dream a Little Dream", and "This Heart of Mine". I confess I didn't read the series in order, and have yet to read, "Dream a Little Dream". However, this is a strong finish for an outstanding collection of books. I continue to be amazed at how SEP builds her complex characters, layer by layer, until they breathe with a life of their own. Molly and Kevin must each face the ghosts of their past, and struggle to accept their feelings for each other. The setting of Wind Lake was magical, and the humor SEP weaves in her stories so well, was present too. The baseball game has to be the funniest part of the book. And I love the Daphne and Benny story excerpts at the beginning of each chapter. Not only do I recommend this book, but the whole series (except "Dream a Little Dream" which I haven't read, so can't voice an opinion). In fact, three books of this series are some of my all-time favorite reads, with this being one of them. Enjoy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars good....but the book is better, Jan. 27 2004
Jem S. (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the first novel I listened to after reading the novel itself. I always believe that it's better to read a book than listen to it, coz u can imagine however u want them to sound, and then there's the abridge and unabridge part. I'll give it to Van Dyke, She did a wonderful job in reading the novel. She is a very good actress and knew how to potray every emotions displayed on each scene. My only disappointment, is the way they cut some of the scenes( a lot of scenes) that should be there. Of course it's an abridge reproduction. Just a warning to all those who read the novel and planning to buy the audio cassette, Lily's story is gone, but her reunion with her son is still there, and then there's no mention of Cal, no softball game, they also deleted the epilogue part where there's a big celebration in the gazebo with Bobby Tom, Cal, and Kenny, and a lot of more, they are all gone,as in nada.. and then, It's ok that they cut of the scence, but I dont like the way they cut it, and let the listeners assume some things that really didnt happen. All in all, I still encourage everybody to get the novel instead, just because the story is better off itself without any deletions or alterations. But as I said before, Jennifer Van Dyke is an excellent reader, and my opinion about of how the story came out has nothing to do with her talent.

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm very disappointed with this book, Jan. 22 2004
BajanReader (Barbados, West Indies) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
Firstly, let me say that I am a HUGE SEP fan. She has written books such as Nobody's Baby But Mine, Heaven Texas etc that have left a good lasting impression in my mind - the dialogue was wonderful, the relationships plausible, and the storyline believable... I cannot say the same for this book This Heart of Mine as it fell totally flat. I actually had to force myself to continue reading the book - something I've never had to do with a SEP novel before.
We first met Kevin Tucker in Nobody's Baby But Mine and I really liked him there. In this book SEP does not do him the justice he deserved... I'm not even sure I understand him at all. As for Molly, we met her in It Had To Be You (her sister's Phoebe's story) when she was a teenager and I can't say that I like her any better in this one. She does really stupid unjustifiable things and SEP tries to get the reader to understand it... come on... jumping into bed with Kevin, someone she didn't know and with one of his old condoms in hand - she went for one thing and one thing alone... and then when it all came crashing down on her she expected Kevin to understand and to empathise... Molly was too calculating and too deceitful for me to remotely care about her... and her jealousy of her sister (she wanted the same Great Love Story that Phoebe and Dan shared - maybe that's why she got fixated on a football star) was pathetic and immature. To top it all off there was no chemistry between Kevin and Molly and I don't think she deserved him. SEP couldn't even convince me that he really cared for her far less loved her.
*Sigh* All in all it was not an enjoyable read - it seemed forced and flat. I didn't like the main characters and the story was too hard to swallow. Take the advice from a true SEP fan - skip this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely awesome contemporary romance!, Jan. 20 2004
V "readinganddreaming" (Tulsa, Ok, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
This Heart of Mine had it all when it comes to a great contemporary romance. The leads were well written and very likable, the story line did not have even one boring page, the secondary characters were really interesting, the romance was the primary emphasis throughout the book and the chemistry between the hero and heroine was sizzling. Add to that a most charming location, a very original story line, great humor throughout the book - yet a depth that kept this tale from being light hearted - and you have one of the best contemporary romances I have read in some time.
Kevin Tucker is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL and plays for the Chicago Stars. Kevin is quite the celebrity and is very dedicated to his profession. Although Kevin is a bit of a womanizer and is known to date a lot of women that aspect makes up very little of the actual man Kevin is. He has been playing professionally for ten years for the Stars and plans to stay with the Chicago team even beyond his actual football career. He envisions coaching the team someday and remaining within the Stars corporate environment even beyond that. Football is his job and he makes sure his personal life does not cross with his professional life. Part of that isolation involves not becoming too close to the family that owns and manages the Stars. He is friends with the owners but never even considers a relationship with the owner's sister although he finds her attractive.
Molly Somerville is considered a spoiled heiress. Her sister owns the Chicago Stars football team and although Molly is very close to her sister and her family, she does not want or live a high profile life. In fact, the fifteen million Molly's father left to her now sits in a non-profit organization she created for a charity. Molly did not like the life of an heiress and her tendency to rely on her father's money rather than hard work for her living. So, she gave it away and now lives month to month as a fairly successful children's author. She loves her life and is actually quite mature in her life choices. She does not date men frivolously. When she finds herself sharing a vacation home, by mistake, with the famous quarterback of the Chicago Stars, she is quite startled by her overwhelming attraction to him. I can't say much more without giving away a portion of the story but this is the beginning of a somewhat reluctant relationship between Molly and Kevin. The book is quick to draw you in and has a most unusual beginning to the leads' improbable romance.
This was a book I did not want to put down. I loved the story - laughing again and again and then alternately feeling a tender sadness for Kevin and Molly - both with their experiences and vulnerabilities. This very entertaining story has quite a serious side but Phillips is very talented at blending the two aspects into an entrancing story. The sensual rating is about 4.0 out of 5.0 (see More About Me for rating guidelines). Two of the secondary characters, who are age 50 and 50 plus, add a very sexy flair with their relationship. This is a welcome surprise for the many romance readers out there that are members of the baby boomer generation.
I highly recommend This Heart of Mine. It was thrilling to find such a good book after a rather dry run in reading. This is my second Phillips book and I am eager to work through her backlist. It is a definite keeper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, Oct. 29 2003
apoem "apoem" (Bosque Farms, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I was a bit dissapointed by the lack of love there was in this story for the longest time. Hence the low four star rating. The hero runs around doing what he needs to do because he was told 'stand up and do your duty' as a child and the heroine just goes along for lack of anything better to do. Once they begin to fall in love and see each other though, the book really comes through with a great love story. By the end of the book I couldn't help but like all the characters in the novel. It made me want to run out and buy the other books in this series. I have a feeling they will be better.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touchdown!!!!!!!, Aug. 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I've read this book about eight or nine times, and every time I read it, I laugh out loud! The one-liners are some of the best I've heard and each time I read this book, I don't want the story to end. I recommend it to everyone I come across who is an avid reader of "chick" books!

3.0 out of 5 stars If you can get past the sketchy premise, it's an okay read.., July 8 2003
M. Acosta "yfandes1" (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Heart Of Mine: A Novel (Mass Market Paperback)
I would definately agree with all the reviewers who mentioned the implausibility of the premise of the book- that a supposedly sane woman would be unable to control a compulsion to take off all her clothes and hop into bed with a sleeping man who is a near stranger--
Further, I would say that such a premise is ENTIRELY unappealing. I honestly had a hard time believing that Kevin would ever agree to be in the same room as Molly again after being so blatantly violated. I just can't get into a book that begins with a near blatant case of sexual assault...
That said, the premise is just that-- a premise, to give the characters an excuse to get married and be stuck together. It plays basically NO part in the following 250 pages, so if you're able to block it from your memory, the book is a pleasant enough read, if you're stuck in a beach-house with your family, and don't know how to play solitaire.

ARRAY(0xadf6fd5c)

This Heart Of Mine: A Novel
This Heart Of Mine: A Novel by Susan E Phillips (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 17 2002)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54