4.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Kleypas Has Penned Another Winner!!!
Published on May 11 2004 by Kristi Ahlers

3.0 out of 5 stars I thought this could have been so much better...
...but even as it is, it's pretty good, I'd say 3 1/2 stars actually. The first part of the book, when Aline & McKenna are first falling in love, is wonderful. But after McKenna gets turned away and goes to the United States for twelve years, the book kind of fell apart (for me). I thought the pushy Americans belonged to the next generation, the "Gilded...
Published on Feb. 9 2004 by SusieQ

4.0 out of 5 stars Ms. Kleypas Has Penned Another Winner!!!, May 11 2004
Kristi Ahlers (Illinois) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I love storylines where the main characters share a history that goes way back. This is true for this book where our heroine is the daughter of an Earl and her love interest is a servant that worked in the stable. They started out as the best of friends trying to forget the fact that it was not a proper relationship and that it could never go any farther. Despite the fact that they could never share their lives as husband and wife their feeling for each other grow until they both admit that they love each other. McKenna knows that Aline is out of his reach but he would do anything to stay close to her. Despite the care that they take in order to spend time together they are spotted and the Earl is told of the meeting. McKenna is sent away thinking that Aline never cared for him, and Aline is left behind mourning the only man she will ever love.
Years later McKenna returns to Aline as a wealthy American bent on revenge. He never slept with her as a teen he is going to fix that mistake. Of course McKenna is not aware of the truth that sent him away, nor is he aware of the tragedy that befell Aline not long after he left. What he was also not planning on was the fact that his feelings for Aline have never gone away. He still finds that he loves her despite what he thinks that she has done.
Aline has never forgotten McKenna and the man that he has grown to become is just as handsome and desirable as the young man he had been. She knows that he wants his revenge and she is willing to let him have it if it means that she will be in his arms once again.
This was such a moving story and I was totally drawn into it from the very beginning. There is the secondary storyline that involves her sister and McKenna's business parter that is equally moving. This story has all of the trademark Kleypas sensualtiy as well as the wonderfully crafted characters and storyline. This story had me reaching for my kleenex on more then one occassion. For a wonderful senual read you can't beat Ms. Kleypas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Again....I loved it, April 21 2004
KenichiKat (fort wayne, in) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
My first foray in the Regency Romance genre is reading mostly Jane Austen's work; and then, I moved on to Julia Quinn who led me to another exemplary romance writer of modern times, Ms. Lisa Kleypas. "Again the Magic," the forbidden story of love between stable hand John Mckenna and Lady Aline Marsden somewhat reminds me of Heathcliff and Catherine of Emily Bronte's "Wuthering Heights," without the much of the cathartic sadness of the latter.
Aline and Mckenna's youthful romance turned into a bitter and painful end when Aline's father discovered their relationship. Mckenna was sent away but not before Aline shattered his dreams of love; she did what she thought was right to save his life. Aline might have saved his life but this made Mckenna into a hard-driving bitter man who vowed vengeance on his once true love.
The story has a lot of true passionate moments where you can really feel the love that Mckenna still has for Lady Aline. I have more sympathy for Mckenna and could not really comprehend Lady Aline's misguided efforts to protect him from her little secret. Nowhere is the saying "the road to good intentions is paved with evil," truer or nearer than in this book.
Overall, a very enjoyable read from Ms. Kleypas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Again.....I loved it!, April 21 2004
KenichiKat (fort wayne, in) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
Overall, a very enjoyable read from Ms. Kleypas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written--classic Kleypas!, April 17 2004
By A Customer
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
Lisa Kleypas is an incredibly talented writer, she keeps getting better with every new book. I wish she'd write more books a year but the waiting always pays off. This story is sensual and emotionally powerful. I loved the hero, Mckenna, whose dark and brooding nature charged up the heat in the lovestory. I wish Kleypas hadn't spent so much time on the secondary characters, they definitely deserved their own book, but the time spent on them cut into the main characters' happily-ever-after last scene. Despite that, Kleypas is an absolute genius when it comes to her trademark dark moment, the climax and resolution of the internal conflict between the main characters. Beautifully written! I loved this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars New fan, June 24 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I will keep this short, but I wanted to say this is my first Lisa Kleypas book and I really loved it! I was glued to the book and finished it in record time (for me). I will be buying more books by Lisa! I didn't think it was depressing at all, as others have said! I guess if you are used to really light comedy romances, it may seem that way, but a veteran romance fan will find this book very romantic and satisfying. I loved the side story with Aline's sister Livia and her own second chance at love. I don't have many books on my keeper shelf, but this one will be joining them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Again the Magic has a certain Je ne sais quoi!, July 8 2004
Nancy Compton (Boise, Idaho) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
If you prefer your books filled with frequent and explicitly described sexual occurrences, this is a must read for you and Ms. Kleypas knows how to tastefully depict them!
The dialog between the characters is smartly witty and continually electrifying. The plot is enjoyably good and satisfyingly told; however it's doesn't have fast-paced, high-drama exciting adventure. Again the Magic is tenderly compassionate and will keep you interested to the last page.

2.0 out of 5 stars totally tedious, March 29 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
This book easily has to be one of her worst. There is no spark in either of the two couples, and one good conversation between Aline and McKenna would have put an end to all the suffering and pain.
Also, there is no falling in love inthe novel except between the two lesser characters Livia and Gideon. Aline and McKenna are already in love and hot and heavy at the start of the book, then 12 years lapse. he wants revenge, doens't get it, and we get nothing but cookie-cutter love scene which vary only in terms of venue and position.
With Livia and Gideon they go to bed with each other too quickly. Having two couples in the book waters it down way too much for my liking. And I have to say Gideon was far more interesting than McKenna.
Can someone please tell these authors that a romance novel is two people falling in love?
One other small point-there were so many typos in this book, missing words, wrong words obviously inserted by a spellchecker, that it really got very irritating. The whole thing looked and read as completely slapdash.

5.0 out of 5 stars again the best, March 18 2004
Jennifer White "dezdmona" (Fort Drum, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I like Kleypas. I haven't read one of her books that didn't thrill me to the point of searching out the shelves for another by her. And this book is no different. I like a hero with a vengence. A purposeful vengence mind you. I hate the books that have a plot based on micommunication between the characters. Dramatic irony belongs in Shakespeare. McKenna has a reason to be angry with Aline. Though he thinks she sent him away the real issue is his inability to think of himself as worthy of her or of his new status. His anger and apprehension both are believable. And I really like to see a hero struggle with his only feelings and try to hide them becuase he thinks the lady is unaffected by their tryst. The statement he makes after he takes her on her knees...oh man, he is too good. I don't normally like heroines that are gimpy but I liked Aline. I have seen burn scars and they aren't pretty. But she never lets it change who she is, just her wilingness to show anyone. And the extra bit with her sister and Shaw was just the right amount to not distract from the main storyline. It's a good read. I recommend it highly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put it down and then read it again!!!, March 15 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book and I found myself thinking about the love story between Aline and McKenna for days afterwards. I also enjoyed the secondary storyline, but not as much. Honestly I thought that she shouldn't have used it at all and spent more time developing Aline and McKenna's characters because they didn't seem to match with their nineteen year old characters.
I loved the the story as they were growing up together and discovering their love. It was the best part of the book and incredibly romantic. My heart was beating fast reading it. The charcters were great and you really knew them. But then I felt like the characters changed too much. McKenna came back a completely different person and I found myself having to remind myself of how he used to be. Aline started off as someone who would do anything for love, but after the fire she lost her faith in McKenna. It just didn't fit sometimes.
As soon as Livia and Gideon came into the picture, Kleypas spent more time developing a whole new story and seemed to forget about the main storyline. This was very disappointing to me because I was enjoying Aline and McKenna. And then the end seemed too rushed. I would have liked to have seen Aline and McKenna happy together for a little longer since we had to read about their unhappiness for so long.
Even though I had some opinions for improvement with the book, I really did love it. The beginning caught my heart and even the second story line and short ending couldn't ruin that.
This was my first read of Kleypas and I loved her style. The character's emotions were so raw and honest and I loved that. The love in the beginning was so beautifully written. I definitely recommend this book to other diehard romantics!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Kleypas's best but not terrible either, Feb. 19 2004
Ce commentaire est de: Again The Magic (Mass Market Paperback)
If you're in the mood for an angsty, weepy read about forbidden love, this story may be for you. Aline is the oldest daughter of the Earl of Westcliff. McKenna is a stable boy who came to the estate as an eight-year-old bastard. Aline's cold and distant parents pay little attention to her (or her two siblings) and so she and McKenna become childhood friends. They play together, she teaches him to read and they ease each other's loneliness. But with adolescence come sexual attraction, temptation and ultimately frustration and reluctant resignation for they can never be together no matter how much they love each other. Though Aline longs for kisses and intimacy, McKenna initially refuses knowing where it will lead. But he's not made of stone and eventually he gives in to his need to be with her. They meet for romantic trysts but one day they are seen and her father is informed. He tells Aline that she is to make sure that McKenna leaves and never returns, and so Aline lets him believe the worst of her knowing he will hate her forever. Aline watches him go in grief and despair knowing she will never see him again.
Twelve years pass and a party of Americans has come to stay at Stony Cross Park at the invitation of Aline's brother Marcus, now the Earl of Westcliff. One of the Americans looks familiar and Aline is stunned to discover that it is McKenna! He's become a wealthy man in America but he's changed, become harder and it is obvious to her that he has come back bent on seduction and revenge. And little does he know he can hurt her all too easily. McKenna is surprised to find the beautiful Aline still unmarried and wonders why. He quickly decides that Aline is hiding something and is determined to unearth her secrets. And she is just as determined to keep them hidden for there are things she cannot bear for him to find out.
Meanwhile McKenna's business partner, Gideon Shaw stumbles upon Aline's younger sister Olivia who lives as a semi-recluse after a tragedy and a scandal two years before. Gideon is instantly enchanted and so is Livia and she slowly, to the delight and surprise of her siblings, begins to emerge from her self-imposed exile. But Marcus is not happy that Gideon Shaw is the catalyst for this change. He's a known rake and a heavy drinker known to closet himself in his rooms with a bottle for days at a time. Certainly not the kind of man Livia should be involved with. Livia has no illusions about the kind of man Gideon is or how he lives his life, but she has glimpsed a side of him that the others have not and she likes what she's seen. He's kind, sensitive, amusing and self-deprecating. But he's not exactly the type of man a woman wants to tie her future or her heart to. So what can they ever be to one another?
Personally, I was more interested in Gideon and Livia's story than the leads. They were a delightful pair with a real difficult issue between them. I didn't feel as emotionally invested in McKenna and Aline as I would have expected. McKenna was not quite as likeable or charming as many of the author's other leading men (they all can't be Derek Craven, girls!). I had expected him to be more complex and both he and Aline to be a little less one-dimensional. If he really knew and loved Aline he never would have believed her lie to make him leave and hate her. He knew what her father was like, understood their situation and supposedly knew her, so their conflict really was a stretch for me. But this is still an enjoyable read and, if you buy into the leads and their star-crossed love, a real weeper.
I just knew when I read WORTH ANY PRICE that the author had plans for Marcus (he was Lottie's employer, if you'll recall) and we meet him again here. He will also be seen in the author's next book A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S KISS (Fall 2004 - the first in her new Wallflowers series) and will get his own story, AUTUMN VELVET (2005), which I look forward to : - )

Again The Magic
Again The Magic by Lisa Kleypas (Mass Market Paperback - Jan. 8 2004)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available