5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of redemption through love
Baron Vincent Everett vows to revenge the unnecessary death of his brother Albert. After blaming George Ascot for the failure of a business venture that left him financially ruined, Albert committed suicide.
Published on Nov. 4 2000 by Harriet Klausner

1.0 out of 5 stars A poorly told tale
I used to read Johanna Lindsey years ago, and remember her books best for the steamy love scenes and the big, loving families who showed up again and again. I love Christmas stories, so I thought, why not.
Published on Aug. 5 2001 by Michelle

4.0 out of 5 stars A Light, Fun Read, April 4 2004
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
Compared to Ms. Lindsey's other works, I can see where this one is receiveing its poor votes. However, I understood that this story is a short story, more like a novella than a novel, perhaps something the other readers might have missed. True, this book is marketed as a novel, and even has a deceptively large page count, however, upon opening the book, you'll notice the large double spaced print and blank Chapter pages. While this might seem like an unfair marketing ploy, I do not fault Ms. Lindsey for this. Otherwise, if this story were printed in the same type face as her other novels, I doubt this one would exceed more than 200 to 250 pages.
Having written and read many short stories myself, I can identify with this story well and understand where the author was going. You don't have "time" to outline an intricate plot and character development must be swift to get to the meat of the story.
The characters are great, however as a writer, I immediately saw one thing I would have done differently in this story. Larissa had a HUGE heart, and always felt tears spring up at the stories of Vincent's hardships as a child and the fact that he never celebrated Christmas. Why, then, would this sensitive woman *not* get him a Christmas present? I realize they had a falling out on Christmas Eve, but I thought that would have been one more great way to show how good she was and how horrible he would have felt at the knowledge that she had made/bought him a gift.
Other than that one little peeve of mine, this book was worth reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars A poorly told tale, Aug. 5 2001
Michelle (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Hardcover)
Why not: because this book is awful. It's not that the hero and heroine, and all the rest of the characters, lack depth, it's why they lack depth: Ms. Lindsey told this story as if from a distant planet. We hear about what the characters think, feel, say, and do, but rarely hear them actually conversing, rarely witness them actually doing anything. Which makes everything very, very boring.
Ms. Lindsey might have always written this way, but I doubt it. It's one of the earliest lessons for a writer of any kind, to "show not tell" the story, and it seems she's forgotten that lesson as the paychecks and demands for more and more pages per year flooded in.
If you want to read some excellent stories that are "shown" instead of told, try picking up something by Patricia Veryan (her Tales of the Jewelled Men and Sanguinet books are great), Joan Wolf, or Loretta Chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of redemption through love, Nov. 4 2000
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Hardcover)
With George conducting business in the colonies, Vincent goes about destroying his enemy. He starts by spreading innuendoes about George and financial ruin. He follows that up with buying George's home. Finally, he sets in motion the end game of tossing George's two children into the street. However, he revises his plan upon meeting George's daughter Larisa. He invites her and her ailing brother into his home where he plans to seduce and ruin Larisa. Instead Vincent cannot reconcile his need of closure through vengeance with falling in love with his guest.
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS is an entertaining historical romance that has all the trademarks of a Johanna Lindsey bestseller. The story line is fast-paced and filled with Christmas magic. As expected from a Ms. Lindsey novel, the lead couple is a delightful duo who find their attraction to one another a worse fate than death is. Ms. Lindsey has provided a Yuletide PRESENT for her myriad of fans.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars A Story with Heart!, Oct. 28 2000
Raven Carter "Ravenous" (Guymon, OK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Hardcover)
I bought this book as soon as it hit the shelves. I read it in two days. It was an easy read. I like that in a book. You know what is going on from the start and you understand it without having to say to your self... "Now, who was he again?" There were only a few charactors, so you got to know them well.
Vincent had an unhappy childhood. He didn't know the meaning of love, or happiness. He had never had a Christmas tree before! He wanted revenge on a man that he felt had caused his brother's death. That man was Larissa's Father, George Ascot. Knowing her Father was away on business he came up with a plan that ruining his credit would be part of his sweet revenge. Spreading fear that George may not be coming home, Vincent had creditors at her door step. Buying the deed to their house himself, he had Larissa kicked out of her home. But once his couriosity got the better of him, he went to met Larissa. Soon, he had a new idea of revenge. She was so beautiful. So innocent. He was going to seduce and ruin her. Instead, he fell in love with her and she made him see the meaning of love and happiness and the joy of having a Christmas tree. I felt that it was a great story. It was a short though. Johnna Lindsey can't write fast enough for me at any rate! Not unless she can put one book out a week.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Christmas story of sharing and hope, Oct. 21 2000
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Hardcover)
Vincent wants revenge. Larissa wants a home. While her father is overseas on business, Larissa is hounded by creditors who think her father is leaving England for good. Even her new landlord Vincent Everett has kicked her and her younger brother out of their home. But upon meeting Larissa, Vincent has second thoughts. His vengeance is for her father for destroying his brother. Vincent graciously allows Larissa and her brother stay with him until her father has returned. Then he decides to complete his revenge by seducing her. Larissa, vulnerable and terrified that her father's ship is lost, falls under Vincent's spells, but something doesn't go right. Vincent is not supposed to fall in love her and fights his emotions from coming to the surface when she lays in his arms. Now he is the one seduced.
This story is not as steamy as some of Lindsey's other books, but it is a charming tale nonetheless. The warmth and caring of Christmas creep into this tale as Vincent begins to fall in love with Larissa. A story to curl up to a fire with.

5.0 out of 5 stars a bitter-sweet romance=>very nice, March 24 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
this is the first Johanna Lindsey book i'v ever read. i liked the story a lot and thought that the concept was very special. a very nice romance novel. it was bitter, yet sweet but most of all it really was a nice story.i mean it's alwayz the kool guy uses a good way to get a gurl. but this one was different. and in the end it turns out ok. though this book had quite a few difficult words, i liked the story a lot. i had my nose stuck in it. after reading this book, i had a very strong will to read more of Ms.lindsey's novels.
i read a few of the reviews for this book and it seems that most readers don't enjoy the book as much as i did. but i would still recommend this book to readers and especially people who would read ms.lindsey's book for the first time to get warmed up in her magic world. other readers say that her other boox are much better then this one, so i'll b looking forward to reading them

3.0 out of 5 stars Lindsey still sliding?, Nov. 26 2000
Holly Coon (Montgomery, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Hardcover)
I began my love of romance novels with Johanna Lindsey and have read all of her novels. For those of you who have, like me, been disappointed with her recent works, I am proud to say that this (to me) is much better than the ones in the most recent years. This one is considerably shorter, but I found that better. In her most recent works I found myself getting very bored in the middle waiting for something interesting to happen only to feel that I almost wasted my time reading for days. With this one, I read it from start to finish and didn't get bored once. Please don't get me wrong, it is not nearly the J.L. I was hoping for but it was better.
Bottom line: If you want a book that is a cute, christmas story that will be a short read between christmas shopping, go for it. However, borrow it if you can b/c it really is not worth the amount that you have to pay for the hardcover book.

1.0 out of 5 stars SOOOOOOOO Disappointing, May 12 2003
Kristal Gorman (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so upset with this book, I threw it out when I finished reading it!! I love Johanna Lindsey and own almost all of her novels, but this one is beyond stupid...I could not get into it. It took me five days to finish it and I usually read a book in a day. I only finished it because I dont like leaving a book unread. The characters are so ridiculous, they never develope, and I hate Larissa. She is so naive and stupid, and who in their right minds would just let a man(and practically a stranger at that) into her bed after only a few weeks, especially after he kicked her out of her house!! I wait longer than that for some of my boyfriends and I generally like them! There was no plot, no developement of a relationship, it was terrible. I would say to anyone who is interested try Johanna's Malory series or Savage Thunder, or Captive Bride. Those are true Lindsey works, not this garbage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where's The Lindsey I Know and Love?, Oct. 21 2000
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Hardcover)
I'm paying more for Lindsey's books now they're in hardcover but I feel I'm getting less of a story. Larissa and her Viscount have little to draw them together. There is no tension, no build up. They are drawn together much to early in the book and are left with a weak excuse to keep them apart. I have bought and read every Lindsey book as they were released, buying them sight unseen without reading the covers, because I knew they'd be great no matter what. Yet lately I feel let down. There was little in way of description and I was pushed through the book at break neck speed. It was like Ms. Lindsey couldn't wait to be done with this one. My only hope and wish is that it's because she's anxious to work on another Mallory novel. What say you Ms. Lindsey, next time will we get our money's worth?

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, Nov. 11 2001
Kaari (Auburn, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
This book from the start feels rushed. Although over 300 pages in length, the type is so large that in a regular novel it would be about 200. The "love" scenes feel extremely rushed and lack the romance of the usual Lindsey romance.
(...) To be honest, you'd get more drama and suspense from a Scooby Doo cartoon. It's so obvious that it's almost laughable.
The characters are marginal. Thomas, Larissa's younger brother, is especially annoying. The "boy" is just too over the top. Vincent is too concerned with revenge for a crime against his brother(who he doesn't even like!!).
For anyone new to Lindsey, take heart, most of her books are excellent. Recently I read "Fires of Winter" and "Captive Bride"-both were very entertaining.

Home For The Holidays
Home For The Holidays by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 11 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01