5.0 out of 5 stars a bitter-sweet romance=>very nice
Published on March 24 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent . . ..
This is a good little book to read during the holidays. Decent characters. Decent plot. However, it's shorter and less detailed than Johanna Lindsey's usual works. It was obviously written as a holiday treat and not as one of her regular novels. It's tepid whereas I would describe some of her other works as hot. I recommend borrowing this one from the library before...
Published on Dec 29 2001 by K. Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars A Light, Fun Read, April 4 2004
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
Compared to Ms. Lindsey's other works, I can see where this one is receiveing its poor votes. However, I understood that this story is a short story, more like a novella than a novel, perhaps something the other readers might have missed. True, this book is marketed as a novel, and even has a deceptively large page count, however, upon opening the book, you'll notice the large double spaced print and blank Chapter pages. While this might seem like an unfair marketing ploy, I do not fault Ms. Lindsey for this. Otherwise, if this story were printed in the same type face as her other novels, I doubt this one would exceed more than 200 to 250 pages.
Having written and read many short stories myself, I can identify with this story well and understand where the author was going. You don't have "time" to outline an intricate plot and character development must be swift to get to the meat of the story.
The characters are great, however as a writer, I immediately saw one thing I would have done differently in this story. Larissa had a HUGE heart, and always felt tears spring up at the stories of Vincent's hardships as a child and the fact that he never celebrated Christmas. Why, then, would this sensitive woman *not* get him a Christmas present? I realize they had a falling out on Christmas Eve, but I thought that would have been one more great way to show how good she was and how horrible he would have felt at the knowledge that she had made/bought him a gift.
Other than that one little peeve of mine, this book was worth reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading, March 10 2004
Nancy Compton (Boise, Idaho) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Paperback)
I can understand the reviews for Home for the Holidays is either a book you like or you don't. It's somewhat dark, but ends happily so. Reminds me of a scrooge tale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensual and Fascinating, Aug. 24 2003
Trisha A. Howell "Howell Canyon Press author" (Los Angeles, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
Our hero Vincent and heroine Larissa are very passionate people who find themselves torn between the incredible attraction they feel for each other and the strong reasons why they should rather hate one another. Home For The Holidays is a very sensual and fascinating story of how these well drawn characters learn to look beyond prejudices and into the value of another human being. This is a highly entertaining read which I highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars SOOOOOOOO Disappointing, May 12 2003
Kristal Gorman (Buffalo, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
I was so upset with this book, I threw it out when I finished reading it!! I love Johanna Lindsey and own almost all of her novels, but this one is beyond stupid...I could not get into it. It took me five days to finish it and I usually read a book in a day. I only finished it because I dont like leaving a book unread. The characters are so ridiculous, they never develope, and I hate Larissa. She is so naive and stupid, and who in their right minds would just let a man(and practically a stranger at that) into her bed after only a few weeks, especially after he kicked her out of her house!! I wait longer than that for some of my boyfriends and I generally like them! There was no plot, no developement of a relationship, it was terrible. I would say to anyone who is interested try Johanna's Malory series or Savage Thunder, or Captive Bride. Those are true Lindsey works, not this garbage.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!!!!!!, March 8 2003
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
This has to be one of JL worst books! The plot and I use the term for lack of a better one was really really bad! Larissa was as dense as a potted plant. Vincent was a flat cardboard copy of what a romance hero should be. Together they had a much chemistry as water and water. So in sum a poor plot and weak one dimensional characters made for very dull reading. I was very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars a bitter-sweet romance=>very nice, March 24 2002
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
this is the first Johanna Lindsey book i'v ever read. i liked the story a lot and thought that the concept was very special. a very nice romance novel. it was bitter, yet sweet but most of all it really was a nice story.i mean it's alwayz the kool guy uses a good way to get a gurl. but this one was different. and in the end it turns out ok. though this book had quite a few difficult words, i liked the story a lot. i had my nose stuck in it. after reading this book, i had a very strong will to read more of Ms.lindsey's novels.
i read a few of the reviews for this book and it seems that most readers don't enjoy the book as much as i did. but i would still recommend this book to readers and especially people who would read ms.lindsey's book for the first time to get warmed up in her magic world. other readers say that her other boox are much better then this one, so i'll b looking forward to reading them

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, Jan. 21 2002
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed the book , I know others didn't . Johanna Lindsey never lets me down .A great read anytime .

1.0 out of 5 stars saddly disappointing, Jan. 16 2002
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
I have all Ms. Lindsey books, but this one was a terrible disappointment. I usually take one day to read a book this size. This one took me three days but only because I heroically resisted throwing it away so deeply frustated I was. The hero is not likable at all. And I couldn't understand how the heroine fell in love with him after all the horrid things he plotted and done. Furthermore, the female character has no depth, nor substance. I hope Ms. Lindsey's next books are as good as the Mallory ones.

1.0 out of 5 stars :( : ( BORING!, Jan. 9 2002
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
I usually enjoy johanna lindsey's writing, but this one's not worth the time or money. I agree with another reviewer that it is short, poorly written, and superficial.

1.0 out of 5 stars ZZZZZZZZZ, Jan. 3 2002
Cathleen R. Mackay "cathm44" (Virginia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home For The Holidays (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, at least it wasn't a waste of *much* time. As others have
said this book is a great let down for most Lindsey fans. It's been years since I've been willing to buy one of her books in hardcover, and I'm usually glad I waited. (come to think of it-since they've been available in hard cover they haven't been that good!) It wasn't awful, but it wasn't much good either. If you're like me and can't stand to miss a book, set aside a couple of hours to read it in the library. I sure hope Ms. Lindsey returns to writing wonderful novels like she used to.

ARRAY(0xaffc3dec)

Home For The Holidays
Home For The Holidays by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 11 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01