5.0 out of 5 stars getting better and better!
Published on March 23 2004 by Jem S.

3.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating hero.
The main reason I could not enjoy this book more is that I spent most of the time furious at the hero. He acts callously and selfishly, but above all foolishly, because his "reason" to act like that is stupid in the extreme.
Published on June 5 2004 by Thea

3.0 out of 5 stars Infuriating hero., June 5 2004
This review is from: Love Only Once (Hardcover)
Imagine this, Nicholas is crazy about Regina, but would not consider marriying her, even after taking her virginity. The fact that she could well be carrying his child doesn't even enter his mind (...)And his reason for resisting marriage is that he is illegitimate and does not want to pass the stigma of his birth to his wife, if this fact comes to be known, as his supossed mother threatens to do. He has to be forced by Regina's uncles to marry her, which he longs to do, but resistes with all his might for the reason I mentioned above.
Now, this could explain why he rejects the idea of marrying, but does not explain why, once he gives in and marries her he abandons her for almost a year instead of enjoying his wife and even trusting her with his secret. He should have known that she would not reject him after knowing he is illegitimate, since her favorite cousin (who, by the way, is his best friend) is also illegitimate and she loves and accepts him.
But this is not all, when he finally returns to his wife, he doubts he is the father of her child. Oh, at this point I was boiling with fury and anticipating the part when he would grovel for his wife forgiveness. But guess what? It never came. He never apologizes for his despicable behavior, and his only thoughts are how to get his wife into bed again. And even more infuriating, she forgets about all he has done and wants him back in her bed too! This unrealistic behavior pretty much ruined the book for me.
And what about all the mistakes with the forms of address? All the males in her family are called "Lord Malory", when the proper form of addres would be for Jason "Lord Haverston" since he is the Marquess of Haverston and for the other brothers "Lord Edward Malory", "Lord James Malory" and "Lord Anthony Malory". Derek could not be the heir to his father's title, since he is illegitimate. And how did the title fo Viscount of Ryding came to be held by James when he is the third son and everybody knows that all the titles are held by the firstborn? And why is Anthony called "Sir Anthony"? Does he have a knighthood? And how did Edward come to be an Earl? It is not a common occurrence for second, third and fourth sons to hold titles, so I think this deserves some kind of explanation.
All the books in the series are full of these kind of mistakes and this makes me lose respect for the writer. I think that a good writer should know the details about the society she is writting about, to avoid making these silly errors that only cheapen her work and prevent the readers from taking her seriously.
Other books of the series are amusing, in a light sort of way, but they are enternainning nonetheless. My favorites are "Tender Rebel", "Gentle Rogue" and "Say you love me".

5.0 out of 5 stars getting better and better!, March 23 2004
Jem S. (BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
I have read Gentle Rogue, Magic of You and Love Only Once, in that order...and the last time I'd written a review i've said that I liked Amy and Warren's story than Georgie' and James's...and now, I take all those back and admit that Love Only Once is now my favorite Malory Book...I dont know if it's a spruce of the moment(however the saying goes)...it just happened...
But as I think about it, I wasn't really captivated from the 1st half...I started to be hooked half way through the book. It doesn't have the humor in Gentle Rogue and Magic of you. What I like about this novel is that it invoked deeper emotions than a usual Malory novel. This is where the Malory brothers were united and I noticed that they were not as active on this one as they were on the coming novels, That's why the story is more centered on Regina and Nicky. There are a lot of holes and flaws within the plot of the story but I won't enumerate those all; OBVIOUSLY, that's not the reason I gave this a 5-star rating. I just felt good and satisfied after reading it, and I say, that's what really counts!

3.0 out of 5 stars Malory Series Part 1, May 28 2003
Lealing (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
Set in 1817 London. Lady Regina Ashton, known by her family as Reggie, is brought up by her four uncles, Edward, Jason, James and Anthony Malory. This is her second season of attending balls and functions with the aim of finding a husband. Easy it might seem for such an exquisite beauty but not so with her four scrutinizing uncles to please.
On her way to a masked ball, she is kidnapped by one Nicholas Eden, Viscount of Montieth and notorious rake with mysterious and shameful past. She is held captive in his bedchamber for a certain number of hours and upon her release vows to marry the handsome rogue who has ruined her reputation. Thus commences the wooing of the Viscount of Montieth.
This is the first part of Johanna Lindsey's much loved Malory series. I found this book to be a run of the mill regency romance and was rather disappointed that it did not live up to other JL books that I had previously read. However, it is a good introduction to the Malory family, whom you will no doubt meet again in the sequels. An enjoyable and easy read although not the best in the series.
Look out for Anthony's story in Tender Rebel, the next in the series.
Lealing

5.0 out of 5 stars an over view of all Johannas' books, Oct. 3 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
Just for the record Johanna Lindsey is one of my favorite authors. The Mallory series of which this is the first in the series of 6 is probably my favorite followed by MAN of MY DREAMS And its sequel LOVE ME FOR EVER and the list goes on and on. the MALLORY series kept me in stiches the whole time.( I have read this series at least a half a dozen times and never grow tired of it) I come from a big family, basing my opinion from all our get togethers all the teasing, nit-picking, disagreements ect,and with my vivid imagination I can almost picture these things happening.Contrary to some of the other negative reveiws(which I disagree most heartly with, with the acception of Paridise Wild(BORING) all of her books are great.No matter how many times I read any of my collection I never tire of them and my favorites still make me laugh every time, Some others to read ONCE A PRINCESS and its sequel YOU BELONG TO ME.A HEART SO WILD the sequel ALL I NEED IS YOU ,Even my mother enjoyed these books and she is seventy!!!---In reference to some of her books not mentioned,this is for all you nay sayers: Although I DO NOT condone rape, you must remember that through out the human history women were considered chattel, used for advantagous alliances ,political pawns, and yes SOME men used them for much baser things willing or not,To condem her writing based on that alone is rather petty in my (no pun intended)book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st book of the Malory Series, April 30 2001
Abbys (Moreno Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
First off, here is the series in sequence: 1. Love Only Once 2. Tender Rebel 3. Gentle Rogue 4. The Magic of You 5. Say You Love Me 6. The Present: The Malory Holiday Novel
Because this is the first book of the series,  naturally, it contains a lot of introductory descripstions of everyone in the Malory family especially those who will be the primary heroes on the next novel.  I'd like to add that this add ons didn't overshadow the love story of Regina & Nick.  In fact, the additional spice made this book even more intriguing.  I read this book in one sitting.  Every character that J. L created and described peaked my interest esp. Regina's uncles James & Anthony.
I decided to finish reading the whole series before i write the reviews so i can compare it all.  This book and The gentle Rogue is my favorite of all 6 in the series.  Regina and Nick's love story is warm and touchy.  Regina is definitely my favorite of all Malory's.  She is not only soft hearted but smart, strong willed, care free & fun.  Nicholas Eden is mysterious, a total RAKE yet Gentle & loving deep down.  There are times, Nick's choices annoys me no matter what his hidden reasons or dark past was.... but this is also what makes this book so enthralling.  Different emotions all out in one.  A great introduction to the Malory Series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my, indeed..., April 11 2001
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
What a wonderful novel to introduce us to the Malory's clan. Regina Malory, the niece to four Malory uncles who raised her like their own child was abducted by Nicholas Eden. Nicholas then realised he had abducted the wrong woman since he had mistakenly thought Regina was his current mistress. Regina proved to be a wonderful, daring and bold person that simply delights Nicholas. But both of them were always quarelling and seemed to have lots of misunderstanding. When Regina (or fondly known as Reggie, by her uncles) suggested to her uncles for Nicholas to marry her, this was just the beginning. Deep in her heart, Reggie actually harbours a secret hope for Nicholas to love her. A several misunderstandings lead to heated arguments between each other and Reggie was forced to be pregnant alone without her Nicholas. After Nicholas came back, Reggie simply ignored him. But, as time gradually passed by and they resolved their conflicts, Nicholas was eventually forgiven by his dear hearted Reggie. Oh my, indeed.. to simply love this adorable couples, Regina Malory and Nicholas Eden. Nicholas is such a charming rogue, indeed...

4.0 out of 5 stars The first of the Mallory novels, April 8 2001
Ratmammy "The Ratmammy" (Ratmammy's Town, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
LOVE ONLY ONCE is the first in a series of regency romances that center around the Mallory family, a family of aristocrats who in one way or another seem to be at odds with the rest of society. In this novel, the heroine, Regina (Reggie) Mallory, is a young woman who is bent on making Nicholas Eden love her, but because of a series of misunderstandings, they fight and quarrel and she soon learns to hate him, although deep down she loves him still. Because of an indiscretion, she suggests to her uncles that Nicholas marries her, and this is where everything starts!
Reggie is a character that is spirited and aggressive, and does not like to conform to the ways of her day. Nicholas Eden is a rogue, and is used to getting his way with the women, but he is damned if he is tied down to one. He in time falls for Reggie, but it takes them months before they actually get in sync and figure it all out.
There are also a number of uncles that look after Reggie, and each one is different from the other. I found the character of James Mallory, the pirate, a very interesting character indeed! And there is also tony, Reggie's favorite uncle, who is bent on making sure no one marries her (he is too picky!).
I enjoyed reading this book, and am looking forward to reading the rest of the Mallory series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intro to the Mallory family, Nov. 4 2000
J. Austin "jodylync" (Dublin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
Regina Ashton is the beloved niece of four protective brothers. She is despairing entering her second season in London's society because her uncles can not agree on a suitor for her. By accident she meets Nicholas Eden, London's biggest rake, when he mistakenly kidnaps her. Her reputation is now ruined and only one thing will make a difference.. marriage. But Nicholas does not want to marry Regina despite his undeniable attraction to her. There is a reason for his rakish behavior: a terrible family secret. Can Regina's love for him save them both?
This book is the first of the Mallory series. Regina is a spirited character that you will come to admire. At times, Nicholas annoyed me, but I could see that Lindsey was trying to show us that deep down he was vulnerable and terrified of rejection. A great book and a terrific beginning to an enjoyable series.

3.0 out of 5 stars long suffering heroine and mean hero, Jan. 18 2002
Suzanne & Elizabeth "suzanne123" (Old Greenwich, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
I plan to read more Mallorey books (I really liked the Gentle Rogue,) but I have to admit I found this one frustrating. I hate that the hero is so darn mean the whole time to the heroine. He was just aweful up to the end. Dumping her after the wedding, "taking her innocence" but not wanting to marry her and on and on . . . I like when there is tension, and misunderstanding BUT lots of love and passion laced through, and when both sides of the story seem reasonable. Nicholas just was so self centered and cad-like the whole time. I wanted to shake Regina and tell her to go home to Uncle Tony and let him take care of her! There was not enough pleasure to make up for the torment!!

2.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Mallory Saga, May 26 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Love Only Once (Paperback)
Although I am not a fan of the Mallory's, well, yes,there are several Mallory's that I enjoyed more than others, the in-law, Nicholas Eden, was the favorite character of this entire clan. Nicholas Eden possessed a dangerous and intriquing character, of course ignoring the forever stifling English 'ton' and their unwritten rules of etiquette made him even more intriquing. Finding the Mallory's and their saga to be slightly 'boring', (but that is my opinion - I'm a fan of history, excitement, and danger), Nicholas Eden and Regina's relunctant marriage, their separation, and comical verbal sparring encourages readers to finish this novel in one 'sitting'.

Love Only Once
Love Only Once by Johanna Lindsey (Paperback - Feb. 1 1985)
CDN$ 9.50 CDN$ 9.02