5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Story of a Viking Slave and the Man She Masters
Published on July 11 2004 by Dakota

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading
Published on April 7 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Story of a Viking Slave and the Man She Masters, July 11 2004
Dakota "daxydakota" (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
"Hearts Aflame" is a magnificent romance! A story about a Saxon lord and his Viking prisoner, "Hearts" sizzles with passion, wit, and MANY unforgettable scenes (a whipping, naked run-ins with the King, hundreds of armed Vikings to the rescue...). Kristen is the boldest, most open character JL has ever written; the Viking maid knows what she wants, and sets out to get it. And what she wants is Royce, an utterly delicious man who hates Vikings with a vengeance. He may hate her people, but there's no way he can resist such a saucy, sassy, spirited "slave" who gives as good as she gets, even in chains. I thoroughly enjoyed this novel - it has a sexy couple, passionate encounters, believable storyline, and lots of sub-characters who charm you immensely (especially Selig, who was such a precious baby in "Fires of Winter," but now such a hunk of a Viking in "Hearts Aflame"). Yes, "Hearts Aflame" is the second book in a trilogy, though it easily stands alone (and does so, with barely any back story). It is also THE BEST in the trilogy, which includes "Fires of Winter" and "Surrender My Love." I highly recommend "Hearts Aflame," but I suggest you read its prequel first, just to enjoy its sub-characters all the more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favorite stories!, Nov. 10 2008
M. Wecker (New Brunswick Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
This is perhaps one of the best romances I have ever read. I love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Sequel to "Fires of Winter", Sept. 11 2007
Melanie (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a great sequel to "Fires of Winter" and I just loved reading this book. Kirsten who is captured and enslaved along with some of her other Viking friends, sets her mind on turning Royce the Saxon Lord into her heart mate. You find yourself cheering her on as she battles wills with Royce at every turn. The characters are very likable. You feel for Royce who lost so much during a previous Viking raid and can understand his hatred towards the Vikings. You admire Kirsten for being such a strong and outspoken women. I was a little disappointed that some of the other characters you get to know in the book just disappear out of the story. All in all though I could not put this book down. Great Job once again JL. I definitely recommend reading "Fires of Winter" first.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Sequel to "Fires of Winter", March 3 2007
Melanie (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, April 7 2004
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
I was mislead into believing that this book would be a captivating love story. Much to my dismay, it was not nearly so. When I read the excerpt, I just had to have it. It appeared that Kristine was a strong-willed and firey woman. I'll admit that she could rumble with the best of men. But she became so utterly submissive for Royce, I was disgusted. He treated her like crap to me. For almost the whole book he was engaged to another woman, while bedding Kristine practically every night. He was a jerk.
I liked how bold Kristine was with him. She is one of the few heroines who is not ashamed to desire a man and show it. The fighting scenes between her and practically the whole household were hysterical and entertaining. Still, Royce's lack of moral and emotion (besides anger, resentment and jealousy) were a bit much.
If you want to read a story about a strong-willed woman and steamy love scenes, read "Stealing Heaven" by Madeline Hunter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading, April 7 2004
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
If you want to read a story about a strong-willed woman and steamy love scenes, read "Lord of a Thousand Nights" by Madeline Hunter.

1.0 out of 5 stars uggh, Jan. 15 2004
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
I could not enjoy this book. I just cannot enjoy a book where the "love story" is about someone cheating on someone else. The hero of the book is engaged to another woman, yet he kidnaps the heroine, takes her virginity, refuses to let her leave and the ENTIRE book he is never planning to marry her but to marry the other woman and discard her. And the heroine is so beyond pathetic, bowing and scraping to the hero and instantly forgiving all the crap he puts her through. This book made me sick and was an insult to women.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Non-stop storyline, romance, humor, excitement, Jan. 9 2004
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
I love a heroine who can fight for herself! No man gets the best of tall, strong, fiesty Kristen... except the one she chooses. Royce is that man. Powerful, handsome, and hot- tempered, Royce finds himself giving his beautiful prisoner special treatment. Here is their story:
Kristen wants adventure. She also wants to escape the pursual of an unwanted suitor. She dresses as a boy and stows away on her brother's Viking ship. By the time he finds her, it is too late to turn back. When the Vikings are taken by surprise, Kristen sees her brother stabbed to death. She attacks his killer and takes him down in the battle. She is one of the remaining 17 Vikings still living after the attack. They are taken prisoner by the Saxon's who ambushed them. Kristen keeps her male alter- ego, as a precaution to keep from being raped. Her chief capture, Saxon Lord Royce, notices that the rest of the Vikings are protective this "boy." So he decides to whip the "boy" in front of the rest of the prisoners to get them to talk. After he cuts her shirt open in back and demands the first two lashings, he discovers he is actually having a woman whipped. He stops the punishment immediately and sends her to work with the women in his home. He is shocked, after she is bathed, to see her beauty. From the first site of her as a woman, he is begins to lose his heart. Kristen is equally besotted with Royce.
Royce's temper is often tested by Kristen's temper and out-spokenness. He's frustrated by her ability to deny her want of him, but he figures out that she is waiting for him to take charge. Other men will pursue her and try to abuse her in the great hall of Royces home, but Kristen is a fierce fighter and lays them flat. Royce is enamored with her strength and courage. Surrounded by whining women, he finds Kristen refreshing. He begins to show her open affection and he makes it clear to everyone in his home that he is her protector. (Although she tends to do quite well at that herself.)
One of the men who pursued Kristen wants to avenge his pride after she has twice bested him. He brings a small army into the woods and attacks the couple. He injures Royce and chains him in a barn. He then seeks to attack Kristen again. She teaches him a final lesson, then sets out to save Royce.
Despite all they have been through, Kristen is still a slave in Royce's home. He's no longer happy with that, and sets his mind to changing things. He doesn't take care of it fast enough. Kristen's Viking parents have found her and they attack Royce's home in the middle of the night with a huge army. Their daughter has been compromised. Kristen's dad challenges Royce to a sword battle for her. Royce and Kristen's dad are both confident, capable, and powerful warriors. Who will win? You'll have to read to find out.
These are just pieces of all that this great story entails. A definite page turner, I read the 363 page book in 2 days. I never wanted to put it down. Awesome heroine, powerful hero, vivid characters throughout the book. Sweet love scenes and romance. Plenty of conflict and action to keep it exciting. Great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favz by Johanna!!, Nov. 21 2003
Galini (samara, russia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
It was the first Johanna`s `medieval` book that I read. And I absolutely loved it!! First of all - very charming heroes)) I mean not only Royce and Kristen but also they famil`s members)) Kristen is the true nordic woman, beautiful and strong, I like the way she seduced Royce)) Ah, and Royce.. well, I more like "in love with vikings", but Royce is a special anglo-saxon one))
Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVED IT!, Aug. 26 2003
Ana Q (Oregon, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hearts Aflame (Mass Market Paperback)
Rarely does a Johanna Lindsey book disappoint me and this was no exception! I loved it. I got it because I read the series backward and I wanted to read the rest of it. AMAZING! PLEASE! Read this book! You wont regret it.

ARRAY(0xb43a4198)

Hearts Aflame
Hearts Aflame by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - June 1 1987)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54