5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!
Published on Aug. 10 2003 by E. Alvis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not as good as the others in the series!
Published on Oct. 2 2001 by Maryland Mom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A mystery about mothers and children, March 22 2004
By A Customer
This book is a thrill ride -- a great mystery with some terrific plot twists. But, like the more recent ICE MAIDEN, it's also about more than murder. It starts with a murder victim who has a complicated relationship with her mother. Then there's the convicted killer whose relationship with HIS mother can only be described as tortured. Our heroine, Britt, finds that her mother, with whom she has a tense relationship at best, can offer insight into the case. There's another pivotal mother-child relationship that I won't go into because I don't want to spoil the plot twist. Read this book and you'll get more than a great mystery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!, Aug. 10 2003
E. Alvis "book in hand" (Reedley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I can't believe that I have been reading as often and as many books that I have and never ran across her books before. I just finished "You Only Die Twice" in one day's time. I had purchased "Act Of Betrayal" from a library closeout and I liked it enough to buy this book. Now, I am searching for any and all of her books. I realize that there are a lot of Britt Montero, the reporter and that I will now be out of sequence, but that will not deter me. I intend to find them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edna Buchanan has a new fan, May 25 2002
Shannon (Forestville, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is my first Britt Montero Mystery by Edna Buchanan, and I'm hooked! The story involves a beautiful woman (naked at that) who washes onto a Miami beach, and for a while can't be identified. The police, and resourceful and beautiful reporter Britt Montero, know from the expensive jewelry, and finely tanned skin, and perfect nails this is no regular Jane Doe. Turns out she has already been reported murdered ten years ago, by her rich playboy husband who now sits on death row, and is two weeks away from the needle. Twists and turns in every chapter keep you turning the pages, and I couldn't help but be drawn in by Britt's first person narrative. I found myself finishing this book in two days, and staying awake late into the night to get to the final startling chapter! If you like fast reads, fun characters, and lots of twists this book is for you. I've already bought two more Britt Montero mysteries, and can't wait to read them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and thrilling, March 7 2002
Maslow (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)
Having been fortunate to have read over the years Edna Buchanan's books, I can say "You Only Die Twice" was as good as "Contents Under Pressure" and "Miami, It's Murder." That the latest installment in the Britt Montero mystery series was as exciting as those first only showed that Ms. Buchanan had created a formidable character in Britt. Strong dialogue propelled the plot forward. Indeed, through exchanges between Lottie and Britt, it was shown that Britt was becoming insensitive in regards to people, most noticeably in her attitude toward Angel. Ms. Buchanan achieved an impressive balance between the high-octane action in her novel and the deliberately paced development of Britt. Only after Britt finally became enthralled at Angel's child birth did Britt reaffirm her faith in "happy endings." This metaphor for redemption was essential, because there has been implied a nobility in Britt's constitution. After wavering, it was reassuring to see that authenticity we have come to expect. By the end of "You Only Die Twice," Ms. Buchanan had instilled a new hope in Britt. I zipped through this book, and I hadn't been able to finish a book in over a year.

5.0 out of 5 stars You only die twice -- but will read many times, Dec 18 2001
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)
A terrific page turner. Among the best of Buchanan.

4.0 out of 5 stars A murder mystery with many red herrings..., Nov. 15 2001
J. Peterson "jenpeterson" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)
Just when you think what is going on in this novel, something changes. I have never read one of Ms. Buchanan's novels before, but the title grabbed me. I will admit that it was a fast read and I was hooked almost from the beginning of the novel.
The story is the murder of Kaitlin Jordan, who is found washed up on a Miami beach, 10 years after she is supposed to have been murdered by her husband. The list of suspects changes throughout the novel. There are many questions--where has she been? who is she now? why did she come back? Through all the twists and turns, Britt Montero becomes not only involved deeply in the mystery, but also in figuring out what she wants out of her life at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Don't Get Better Than This, Oct. 22 2001
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)
Reading "You Only Die Twice," I couldn't help wondering why Edna Buchanan isn't as nationally successful as Sue Grafton, Janet Evanovich or other inferior mystery authors. (James Patterson, are you listening?) As the title of this review states, they don't get better than this. After the far-fetched "Garden of Evil," Buchanan's alter-ego Britt Montero is back in superior form, investigating the death of a naked woman found drowned on the beach. Buchanon brings her talents as a real news reporter to the solving of this puzzle, and the results are never less than breathtaking. What a pleasure to experience an honest-to-goodness mystery master at the top of her form. If you haven't read Buchanon before, check out the earlier Montero books. But by all means get this one as well. You won't be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars They Don't Get Better Than This, Oct. 22 2001
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not as good as the others in the series!, Oct. 2 2001
Maryland Mom (Gaithersburg, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)
After finally finishing the first 6 books in this series, I picked up this one with great anticipation. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. It started off well, establishing the identity of the murder victim (who was supposedly already dead, hence the title) and detailing Britt's latest date with her main main, Kendall McDonald, but it went downhill from there. The identity of the murderer was a surprise, but the whole thing was unbelievable, and her decision about her relationship with McDonald was also hard to swallow. It's a worthwhile read, but only if you don't expect too much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Miami Vice, Sept. 18 2001
This review is from: You Only Die Twice (Hardcover)
R. J. Jordan will be executed one week hence for the murder of his wife ten years ago. But then a fresh corpse washes up on the beech - and turns out to be Kaithlin, the wife. Where has she been for ten years? Why did she not clear Jordan from the murder charges? Super reporter Britt Montero goes after this mystery, slowly unpeeling Kaithlin's history before her disappearance: she certainly was a woman with brains, but still remains mysterious.Other characters flesh out the story and make this a real page turner. Buchanan has a knack of leading you down the wrong path - and then springing another surprise.
A wonderful mystery, sharply etched in characters and action.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

You Only Die Twice
You Only Die Twice by Edna Buchanan (Hardcover - March 8 2001)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01