5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book
This is a fantastic book that I loved reading as a child, and now get the chance to introduce it to my children. It is written perfectly for young children, and the stories are a good mix of happy and sad, love and violence. I would quibble that some of these stories are a little biased by the D'Aulaire's interpretations, but they are generally quite good. The stories...
Published on May 5 2009 by A. Volk

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and Disappointing
I gave this book only 2 stars because I wanted to learn a lot more about Greek mythology - but the stories were confusing and I found it difficult to keep the characters straight. I have read reviews that said this book was great for children, but I am not so sure of that. There is a lot of sexual hanky-panky between brothers and sisters and some other characters that...
Published on Nov. 12 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Basics., June 22 2004
By A Customer
An adult friend gave me a ripped but still good book of this
, I read it, and there was the start of my myth-mania.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, even better on tape, May 24 2004
JB (Wilmington, DE. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
These stories hold my 6-year-old spellbound, as well as the rest of the family! Consider getting the audio version, though, read by Paul Neuman, Kathleen Turner, Matthew Broderick and Sidney Poitier. Talk about great listening! Their readings are fantastic. And you don't have to worry about properly pronouncing all those Greek names!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greek Myths, April 24 2004
Kat,Kat (Iowa City, IA USA) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It accurately portrayed many of the better known myths with wonderful pictures. I highly enjoyed reading this book even though I have not previously enjoyed the Greek myths, but this book brought them out in a fun and insightful way.
I would reccomend this book to anyone who is just starting to learn about the myths. However, if already know about the major gods you probably don't want this one since it doesn't go very deep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing better!, March 17 2004
D. M ZWIRN "sillygooser" (MENDOTA HEIGHTS, MN USA) - See all my reviews
A rare gem in the science fiction/fantasy genre, this series has a female heroine, Lyra. We follow Lyra throughout the series as she encounters intense mysteries and drama. Although this is a fantasy book series, it is superbly written and is excellent in making the reader become so engrossed that they nearly forget where they are.
I would use these books with high school, reluctant reader girls, since it's an excellent story about a girl who saves the world. They would learn from this book that girls are also craft, witty, and brilliant. Another group that I would recommend this series to are advanced high school readers as I believe these books have direct references to Paradise Lost and also make general remarks on religion. In fact by the final book, your idea of religion is completely obscured. I think it would be interesting for them to do a compare/contrast with Paradise lost of perhaps how the series develops a theme of religion.
9. D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri D'Aulaires and Edgar Parin D'Aulaires
Copyright 1980, Bantam Doubleday Dell
Great book to build a reading unit around
One of the major things that was lacking in my education through college, was any sort of introduction to Greek Mythology. Although we seem to now steer clear of any kind of old literature ("dead white men"), I believe Greek Mythology is an important part of a person's reading repertoire. There have been many situations (not to mention Jeopardy questions) where I'm at a complete loss because I never learned Greek Mythology. My friend recently introduced me to this book, claiming his copy was so worn out from repetitive readings his parents provided him and his brothers. What an excellent find this book is!
I would use this book in the classroom and read these aloud to the students. I believe it would be a great idea to have a Greek Mythology unit where we use this book as our base reading, and have the kids explore other Greek Mythology books. I think children at first will think Greek Mythology is boring, yet they would soon find out that it is all around them. They could have a good time finding things in their neighborhoods that relate like street names, restaurant names, etc. and perhaps write some report on their findings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the younger reader, Jan. 7 2004
Liz (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
I still have my copy of this book from my early childhood. It's a wonderful introduction to Greek mythology for the younger age groups. It doesn't go into tedious detail that most children would find boring, but it covers important highlights of major myths. It is a very whitewashed version of the mythos -- especially the story of Hera and Zeus, but since it's geared towards younger reader, that's only appropriate.
This book is a great way to get children interested in the classics, in mythology itself. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations..., Dec 7 2003
Adam Chen (Mercer Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
But the text is lacking. I found it dry and facile at times. There were few explanations for why the gods would hate each other so much, other than the idea that they had to control the earth or the land in some way. This sets the basis for hierarchical systems of thought found in modern-day Greek society, long before the domination of the female gender took full force (around that time there was still a fair amount of female influence, archeological sources tell us) and ideates that we all need to look forward to future wars as a way of life.
This is a nice, large volume, though. You'll like the drawings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely the best intro to Greek Mythology for a young per, Oct. 2 2003
Charles Harrington (Calif, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
I received this book when I was 8 years old and it started my great love and appreciation for Greek Mythology.
One of the greatest features of this book is its wonderful organization. It begins at the beginning (Gaia and Uranus), chronicles the Titans, the major Olympian gods, "minor" gods, and heroes. The stories flow chronologically and the authors make many references back to earlier sections without any confusion.
The stories are told at a beginner level but without a feeling that a lot is missing from them as can happen in Edith Hamilton's Mythology. The art is appealing and nervous parents will be pleased to know that the pictures are at an appropriate level for young people. Also som of the more risque sections are dealt with without omitting important information. In the story of Perseus, Zeus does the Golden shower of light transformation to appear in Danae's room and she becomes his bride. Cute isn't it?
Just knowing the information in this one book was enough to give me an edge over fellow college students and professors (yes professors) in ancient history and humanities classes. For some reason most of teh American public seems to get their informationon mythology from te film Clash of the Titans (a movie I guiltily enjoy by the way).

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreaming about this book..........., Sept. 26 2003
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
I read this book so many times when I was child that it managed to burrow itself into my consciousness and left many images burned into my head: the lovely union between the earth and the sky, Haphaestus hammering out a link of precious metals, Persephone in the dark undertow of the underworld, Leda's beautiful face asleep as two eggs crack open to reveal her children, and other memorable pictures. Even though in the ensuing years I have forgotten about the book, I managed to carry them and periodically they would swim back into view if some memory triggered them. I bought the book in a fit of nostalgia when I stumbled upon this web page. I am so glad I bought it and am enjoying the book yet again. There is a shock of recognition - the strange sense that yes I have not thought of or looked at the book in ages and yet they were always there. The stories are generous and magnificent and instantly readable. Yes, it's not Ovid, but then again it's a children's book. But what a book! The drawings are glorious and full of my shimmering childhood memories: relentlessly checking out that one copy at the library and marveling at the stories and images. I heartily recommend parents everywhere to buy this book for their child. It's such a great impetus to a life long path of learning and reading. So put away those playstations and the tv, if you please. Much joy will be found in these pages. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars my first mythology book, Sept. 20 2003
Kimberley Wilson (VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths (Hardcover)
I found this book in the library when I was 8 and fell in love with the beautiful art work, the wonderful retelling of the stories and the overall way the book is designed. I checked it out of the library so often that the school librarian eventually gave it to me. I still have a beat up copy with various stains and splotches. This is one of those few books that can be enjoyed by both chidren and adults.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to introduce your children to mythology., Sept. 12 2003
Lane Fox (Huntsville, AL United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the first books of Greek mythology I read. Reading other reviews I do have to agree that some material was poorly researched...or maybe it wasn't. I think some of the tales might have been changed to grab the attention of the focus audience which is children. The pictures are ever present through the pages, while not cutting corners on words or information. Some pictures even assist in understanding the tales. One picture in particular shows the geneology of the gods in a sort of tree like design. Fun book. I recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths
D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths by Edgar Parin d'Aulaire (Hardcover - Sept. 19 1962)
CDN$ 42.95 CDN$ 26.92