5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Keep It On My Bookshelf!!!
Published on Aug. 29 2000 by Jenifer L. Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!
From the title of this book, I imagined that it would be something which I would read out of each night. With such an image in my mind, I got this book, but did not get past the first few pages. There are phrases such as "horses have no conscience". This made me thing that the author had never been near a horse before!
Published on Aug. 17 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Keep It On My Bookshelf!!!, Aug. 29 2000
Jenifer L. Moore (Berry Creek, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Horseman's Bible (Paperback)
I bought my first "Horseman's Bible" many years ago when I became a first time horse owner. I constantly picked it up a read, and re-read it as situations came up, as they ALWAYS do with horses. I respected the knowledge in the book so much that I started giving one as a gift to every one I knew who bought their "first horse" hoping that they would benefit as I did from its vast reserve of knowledge and understanding of what a horse truely is. Not having a copy handy as I gave my last one away, I hope I can quote one sentiment from the book. We are foremost "Stewards" of the horses we keep and love, we can never truely own such a magnificent beast, just care for it the best we can while we have them with us. I am ordering two copies today, one to keep and one to give to my cousin who just purchased her first horse and needs all the help she can get!!!! Obviously, I highly recommend this book. It is NOT a sentimental story book about horses, it is a common sense guide on what to do and especially what NOT to do with an animal that weighs over 1,000 pounds and has an animals mind and behaviour patterns. It is also a life time responsibility that should not be entered into lightly, but with great forethought and sufficient funds to do things "right" by a companion that can live close to thirty years if well taken care of. Buy this book BEFORE you buy your horse, you will never regret it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!, Aug. 17 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The Horseman's Bible (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars A basic reference book for older children and adults, March 4 2000
Northeast Texas Reader (Northeast Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Horseman's Bible (Paperback)
This is a classic, plus the price is right. A much, muchearlier edition of this book (copyright 1966) was one of the firsthorse books I purchased; and it is still on my shelves, although a bit tattered. It has a little bit of everything for the beginner, in a easy to read but not insulting style. Some on confirmation, some on riding, some on horse care, some on feeding, some on breeds, etc. I used it as primary curriculum while tutoring a reading student, who was also horse crazy. Later, the excellent drawings were useful in teaching the English names for the parts of a horse to an ESL class of Spanish speaking farm workers. I think this book and "Happy Horsemanship" should be the first two horse books any new-to-horses adult or child should read.

The Horseman's Bible
The Horseman's Bible by Jack Coggins (Paperback - June 1 1984)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01