5.0 out of 5 stars Most believable historical fiction - bar none

1.0 out of 5 stars excessive
Published on July 1 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Most believable historical fiction - bar none, May 18 2003
Leslie (Appleton, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Outlandish Companion: In Which Much Is Revealed Regarding Claire And Jamie Fraser.... (Hardcover)
I stumbled across this book in line at the grocery store and quickly became addicted to the entire Outlander series. I've bought them as gifts for family and friends innumerable times. The attention to detail in all of Ms. Gabaldon's books is eerie - in short it makes you wonder if time travel is indeed possible. Calling these books romance novels is unfair because there is so much more to them than your standard bodice ripper. The characters are complex and believable and the dialogue is intelligent and often humorous. At roughly a 1,000 pages per book it's certainly not light reading for the beach but they're so engrossing you'll likely not notice whether the sun is out or not...

1.0 out of 5 stars excessive, July 1 1999
By A Customer
I have enjoyed all of Mrs. Gabaldon's novels (perhaps I should be honest and say that the last one was a bit of a disappointment, but still generally quite good), and I do very much admire her style of writing. But I'm afraid I don't understand the frenzy around this book. Astrological charts for fictional characters seems rather redundant to me, for example. In fact, I am rather disturbed by the tone of the other reviews. Little to do with constructive commentary and more to do with group hysteria, it seems. I would have prefered Mrs. Gabaldon to write another novel, rather than spend her time on this rather strange documentation for people who are, after all, products of her imagination.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like to read dictionaries and encyclopedias..., Dec 5 2000
By A Customer
No seriously, I could understand how many a fan would devour anything by Diana Gabaldon and I thought I was one of those people; but The Outlandish Companion was something I could have done without. I enjoyed her personal story about how she got started with the series but other than that I struggled through it. The recommended books section; which was the main reason I purchased this book, was a disappointment. I hated many of the books I picked from the list in the back of the companion. I get the impression that Ms. Gabaldon is very intellectual. I just think I'll wait patiently for the rest of the books in this series.

1.0 out of 5 stars A complete waste of time, Sept. 7 1999
By A Customer
I was very glad that I borrowed this book from the library and didn't waste any money on it. I skimmed through it and found it to be a huge disappointment for a fan of the series. Ms. Gabaldon must think pretty highly of herself to write a book about writing the 'Outlander' seeries or she just wants to cash in on their popularity.

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly organized and redundant, Aug. 18 1999
By A Customer
This volume might have been interesting, if not for the fact that certain obvious steps were overlooked -- such as an alphabetical listing of terms. It felt rushed, as if the author is juggling too much. And for a woman who supposedly has advanced degrees in science, the astrological charts are more than a little incongruous. I found the novels interesting and well told, but this is going too far.

1.0 out of 5 stars I Thought It Would Be Better, July 27 1999
By A Customer
I read the synopsis of this book before I ordered it. Yet, I was still disappointed. I agree with many of the reviews already posted - money making scheme, poorly compiled, extraneous info, repetive info, etc. I, like many reviewers like the Outlander series, but I still found that this book was a disappointment. If I want a horoscope of a fictional character, I can have my niece do it with her pc program. But, what bothers me most is the tone of so many fans. I read all of the reviews here and none of the reviewers who gave this book less than five stars criticized other reviewers or other fans. Isn't this a site to review books honestly? Somebody doesn't like your idol's book, so what? Get over it. I have never seen this type of immature behavior related to any other books reviewed on Amazon. Frankly, if this is an indication of how Amazon is going to monitor this site in the future, I will be placing my orders with other outlets. There is absolutely no reason that someone should not be able to post an honest review without being attacked by...what did one of the reviewers call it...Trekie-like Outlander fans. By the way, my entire office orders in bulk at least once a month and there are plenty of other online sites where this type of behavior is not tolerated.

5.0 out of 5 stars grrrreat, June 23 2014
very helpful with the series I would recommend it to anyone totally into the Outlander series

as it clears up a few points and helps with the Gaelic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading & Useful for Research, May 22 2014
Met my expectations and more. Beautiful volume. Well done. I would recommend it as a gift to fans of the Outlander series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift of Insite for my Fans, April 21 2013
First of all,love the cover and weight of the book,having read all Diana's Outlander series [so far,looking forward with great anticipation to book 8.] the content of this book just cements all your visions and answers the many questions that pop up in your mind as you are absorbing Diana's wonderful discriptions of events and textures of objects etc....i now need to get the volume 2!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars outlandish, Nov. 1 2012
This book is a great accompaniment to the outlander series. I found it very informative. I would recommend it to anyone reading this series.

CDN$ 39.95 CDN$ 25.04