5.0 out of 5 stars Most believable historical fiction - bar none

3.0 out of 5 stars definately interesting
Published on Aug. 13 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Most believable historical fiction - bar none, May 18 2003
Leslie (Appleton, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Outlandish Companion: In Which Much Is Revealed Regarding Claire And Jamie Fraser.... (Hardcover)
I stumbled across this book in line at the grocery store and quickly became addicted to the entire Outlander series. I've bought them as gifts for family and friends innumerable times. The attention to detail in all of Ms. Gabaldon's books is eerie - in short it makes you wonder if time travel is indeed possible. Calling these books romance novels is unfair because there is so much more to them than your standard bodice ripper. The characters are complex and believable and the dialogue is intelligent and often humorous. At roughly a 1,000 pages per book it's certainly not light reading for the beach but they're so engrossing you'll likely not notice whether the sun is out or not...

3.0 out of 5 stars definately interesting, Aug. 13 1999
By A Customer
I just wanted to say that I liked this book for what it is-a companion to the novels. As a "die-hard" fan, I can honestly say that for me it was really neat to find out how the characters developed, and how she had help with Gaelic and the other languages that she knows very little or nothing about. I personally didn't like the horoscopes, but I'm not into that kind of thing. Anyway, if you are looking for an interesting and informative read that can give you some insight into how she does reasearch and other things, then please read this. If you don't like that kind of thing, then don't buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Background to the Outlander series, Feb. 1 2002
Kevin W. Parker (Greenbelt, MD) - See all my reviews
There are many background elements to the Outlander series: characters, history, food, Gaelic sayings. This is an attempt to cover a lot of them as well as to discuss how Gabaldon came up with the books and its elements.
I shouldn't really take full credit for this book, but it's long enough that I'm not going to feel very guilty about it. I skipped over the synopses of the novels and skimmed the list of sayings and vocabulary words fairly quickly. More interesting was the Q&A, particularly since she got the original inspiration from Jamie on Doctor Who. (I'm a big fan of Doctor Who.) It's also interesting to see how seriously she takes the whole effort: even though she was originally just writing for herself, she took it very seriously and worked hard to do the best job she possibly could.
Most impressive is how she manages at all: throughout her comments it becomes clear that she gardens, she's a Compuserve volunteer, she records audios for the blind, she goes to church, she has two kids. How the heck does she find time to write? She admits that it's a lot to do with going without sleep. Not sure that's something I'd want to try.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Okay Book, July 19 1999
By A Customer
This book is what I expected. It contains information and background on DG's writing techniques and the characters contained in the Outlander series. I would say that 98% of the information can be found at DG's website or the other various websites dedicated to her. There is virtually nothing in this book that the reader couldn't get on their own. Not only are there horoscopes, but DG included a list of websites dedicated to her. I find this rather self-serving and strange since websites such as these tend to be rather time sensitive, thus the info is of little use to a reader in the future. The websites can be found by using a standard search engine. I am also quite puzzeled by DG's "review" of the reviews here. She seems to not take critism very well. A thicker skin would do her good. A nice thank you to all of the reviewers here who spent their hard earned money and time on this book would have been much more appropriate. After all, this is a place to review books and one should expect to read honest responses - good and bad. I would recommend this book only to the die-hard DG fan who isn't willing to spend the time compiling this info themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendously entertaining!, Dec 6 1999
By A Customer
I am amazed at some of the comments and can only think that the people who didn't like this book can't possibly have read it. NO, all the material in the book isn't on the DG Website! (great as the site is) I'm a huge fan of the site and have read everything on it. Twice. Ms. Gabaldon very generously posted small _bits_ of the COMPANION on her website, just as she posts excerpts of the novels, to let people have a taste of what's coming. If you LOOK, people, you can see that only a small part of things like the Methadone List or the Family Trees are posted online--the Whole Thing (and a ton of other cool stuff) are in Da Book. It would be a shame for anyone to miss out because they had been misled.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Supurb Filler, Sept. 16 2001
By A Customer
As a great fan of Diana's work, I was getting a bit desperate waiting for the next installment of Jamie and Claire's adventures when my best friend gave me a copy of THROUGH THE STONES. I started reading it at once finding I came to understand the characters even better and found that Diana is a truly inspiring person. How can anyone have crammed so much life into so short a time and still stayed sane? I am full of admiration.
I particularly enjoyed the maps and descriptions of Scotland as well as the recipes and other miscellaneous information that Diana saw fit to include. This makes the characters seem more real somehow. I eagerly await the new instalments

5.0 out of 5 stars the Outlandish Companion, May 15 2000
By A Customer
This is the absolute best! I adore Diana Gabaldon's work and purchased this as soon as it came out out. I love her tongue -in- cheek approach to the material. Jamie and Claire jump right off of the pages! She has made their personas so real that the reader inevitably becomes drawn to them in the most intimate way. I was actually using the "companion" as a textbook of sorts while re-reading the "Outlander" series. I found it incredibly fun to use it as a reference book and just to read it for the sheer joy of it. Ms Gabaldon had an awesome talent that makes the most mundane things in life so totally interesting!

5.0 out of 5 stars THESE BOOKS ARE POWERFULLY WRITTEN WITH HEART AND SOUL..., Oct. 11 1999
HAVING BEEN LEAD TO THIS SERIES OF BOOKS BY A FRIEND AT THE LIBRARY, I WAS AMAZED AT THE IMPACT THEY HAD ON ME..... I COULDN'T PUT THEM DOWN, AND IN 5 DAYS HAD READ ALL FOUR OF THEM. I THEN SET OUT TO PURCHASE THEM TO HAVE TO READ OVER AND OVER, AND HAVE DONE THAT TOO. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT ONE, AND HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THE COMPANION THAT DIANA WROTE, AS A PART OF MY SET..... MS GALBADON, YOU ARE A WONDERFUL WRITER, AND BRING A GREAT DEAL OF ENTERTAINMENT TO THOSE OF US, WHO HAVE BECOME YOUR FANS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, AND PERSONALLY, YOUR BOOKS MAKE ME VERRA VERRA HAPPY!

1.0 out of 5 stars excessive, July 1 1999
By A Customer
I have enjoyed all of Mrs. Gabaldon's novels (perhaps I should be honest and say that the last one was a bit of a disappointment, but still generally quite good), and I do very much admire her style of writing. But I'm afraid I don't understand the frenzy around this book. Astrological charts for fictional characters seems rather redundant to me, for example. In fact, I am rather disturbed by the tone of the other reviews. Little to do with constructive commentary and more to do with group hysteria, it seems. I would have prefered Mrs. Gabaldon to write another novel, rather than spend her time on this rather strange documentation for people who are, after all, products of her imagination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never read a Gabaldon book before, Sept. 11 1999
By A Customer
A bit of serendipity came my way when I found the Outlandish Companion on the "new arrivals" bookshelf at my local library. My daughter had just begun reading "Outlander" and mentioned Diane's name the day before. A writer myself, I'd like to direct these comments to Ms. Gabladon Herself. My dear, you are a soul-sister. Your playful spirit and intellectual diversity enthralls me. This companion book is a very handy resource for writers and I will buy a hard copy for my own reference. You might want to consider publishing a book just for writers. Obviously, many readers miss the essence of what you have compiled within these pages. Several disgruntled readers complain that the same info can be found online. Humm - so different venues are unnecessary? "Why make a movie - there's already a book?" Good grief. Another reader complained about Amazon carrying certain comments. I hope Amazon continues to print whatever comes in, as it is all rather entertaining to see how emotional people become over such mundanities. Carry on, MacDuff. Work hard, make your millions and do alphabetize the next glossary. Hugs & kisses to you, Diane.

CDN$ 39.95 CDN$ 25.04