5.0 out of 5 stars "Quality of Life" for the Heart and Mind, Feb. 10 2001
Kindle Customer "Psych Prof" (Asheville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Snowflake in My Hand (Paperback)
The affecting cover painting drew me to buy this book, and it changed my life--I'm not exaggerating. I ended up requiring it for my college "Psychology of Loss" class and recommending it to my "People & Animals" class. Samantha Mooney grasps the preciousness and depth of each cat's life as she recalls the feline personalities she met on the animal cancer ward where she worked. Better than any professional manual I've read, Mooney's deceptively slim volume presents the issue of an animal's "quality of life," and its place at the core of deciding whether and when to euthanize a beloved, sick companion animal. Blending genuine emotion with her professional commitment to care and assistance, Mooney captures the fragility of these brief lives--like snowflakes melting in the warmth of the human hand that would save their beauty and uniqueness--these brief lives that share and change our own. I came to love every cat remembered in these pages as I read and reread them, particularly Fledermaus, Mooney's tiny, mysterious friend, who has affected Mooney most of all. I passionately recommend this gem of a book to any reader interested not only in cats and any of the animals with whom we share the world, but also anyone who must deal with questions about the meaning and quality of life, the possibilities and limits of medical care, and the ways we risk love--and face grief in the wake of loss. I treasure my dog-eared (!) copy of "A Snowflake in My Hand," and though I wish I knew Samantha Mooney personally, still I feel I have gotten to know her as well as the cats in her life, and to feel they are friends. As long as we keep our loved ones in memory, we do not lose them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for animal lovers, May 29 2004
This review is from: A Snowflake in My Hand (Paperback)
It is a simple book, written for the average person. Nothing fancy, just a book written from the heart. If you've ever had the love of a cat, dog, or any other creature in your life then please get this book. It will warm your heart and make you feel what it's like to know true, sincere love. For those who think that humans are the only creatures with souls and feelings, your should read this book and maybe realize that we are truly not alone, there are intelligent and caring lifeforms all around us.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Compassionate Work Eloquently Authored, Aug. 6 2000
This review is from: A Snowflake in My Hand (Paperback)
The author worked for 10 years on the eighth floor of New York's famous Animal Medical Center - the eighth floor housing the cancer clinic.
All animal people will be deeply moved and inspired by Ms. Mooney's story of cats approaching a prolonged painful death. The little cats she came to know so well through their illnesses, will bring smiles amidst tears with the felines' courage, patience and spiritedness as they face each day living with a terminal illness. This small slim book is filled with warmth and sensitivity of inspiring lessons in human love, joy, loss, and triumph over grief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotionally packed little book, July 14 2011
This review is from: A Snowflake in My Hand (Paperback)
When I started reading this book and got to know all of the Doctors and animals involved it was like I had worked there myself. Interacting with the clients that brought their beloved cats in to be examined or left at the Hospital to live out their lives. So full of emotion, warmth and love did Ms. Samantha Mooney have for her precious little patients. She really loved each and every one of them that had come in. I especially remember poor Denton the black 9 year old cat that was sick and Mrs. Berkeley dealing with her own health issues. Mrs Berkeley had an especially close relationship with Denton having the same kind of illness. And little Fledermaus that Ms. Mooney had a special bond with.
This book is small but it packs a punch with feeling and emotion. I found the book quite sad yet hard to put down. You will need a box of Kleenex for this book!! Excellent!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars For anyone who has lost a pet..., May 12 2013
This review is from: A Snowflake in My Hand (Paperback)
Be prepared to sob your heart out. I wish I had the words to describe how amazing this little book is, but I wouldn't be able to do it justice. We have a small 'library' in our staff quiet/lunch room on my unit (I'm a R.N. at an acute care facility), where we bring in books, music, therapeutic oils, etc. that we share amongst ourselves. I purchased 'Snowflake' shortly after I lost two beloved kitties within six weeks of one another, Puss Puss at age 17 and then Olivia at age 14. After I read Snowflake I brought it into our library. It was too powerful not to share with others. It has since made many journeys each time returning, a little more tattered and tear stained, back to me.

A Snowflake in My Hand
A Snowflake in My Hand by Samantha Mooney (Paperback - April 1 1989)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 16.06