4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Filled Adventure in 17th Century Scotland
Published on Dec 2 2007 by Teddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed after 700 pages?!!!!! Buyer BEWARE!
Published on March 1 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Filled Adventure in 17th Century Scotland, Dec 2 2007
Teddy (Richmond, BC) - See all my reviews
When I first heard of this book and all the positive hype, I was skeptical. It's a book that is hard to classify as just one genre. It's part historical novel, romance, suspense, action, and science fiction. I right away wonder how much romance was in it, you see, I don't mind some, but I don't like true chick lit or Harlequin romance. However, the more I heard about it the more I wanted to at least give it a fair try.

It did end up having a lot of sex and some romance, but it was also an excellent historical adventure in 17th century Scotland. I thoroughly enjoy this romp threw time. Diana Gabaldon writes with near perfect pitch and prose. The only thing I found a bit annoying in parts was that it was a bit repetitive in parts. I think a little more careful editing was needed.

Though the book is over 800 pages, it reads very fast and be for warned, it is very hard to put down! I spent some wee hours in the morning with this book! Don't suffer from sleep depravation like I did. Learn from my mistakes. Don't read it right before sleep time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic historical/time travel romance!, March 8 2012
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outlander (Audio CD)
Now I know what all the fuss is about!

Outlander has a number of literary awards, including: AAR Top 100 Romances, 1992 Romance Writers of America RITA Award for Best Romance, 2003 BBC's Big Read for Best Loved Novel, and 2001 Puddly Award for Romance (2001).

Ever since I started blogging, I noticed that Outlander is one of those series that I keep hearing about over and over again. I did join an Outlander Reading Challenge in 2011 but failed miserably and never even read the first book. For me, the book length was a little daunting. I was informed by Gabaldon in a tweet to me (Eek! Yes, she did! How cool is that?) that Outlander is the shortest book in the series, aside from the Lord John Grey novels.

In the beginning of the story, Claire has been reunited with her husband, Frank, in Scotland. For much of their eight-year marriage, they have been separated due to World War II. Claire, a WWII nurse, is picking flowers at a place called Craigh na Dun, where the stones have been arranged in a circle atop a hill. As she leans down, she hears a buzzing noise coming from between two of the rocks. Claire has somehow come upon a portal and travels two centuries back in time.

At first, Claire has no idea what has happened and believes she has stumbled onto a movie set. Naturally, she is dumb-founded when she finally realizes what has happened. Her nursing skills come in handy, as she is more educated about modern medicines and treatment than even the doctors in that age! Claire treats a young man named James "Jamie" Fraser, who is an injured warrior. She rides with him back to Castle Leoch, which is owned by the Mackenzie Clan. They are very suspicious of her and think that she is a spy. Her knowledge of medicine is her saving grace, and she stays on at the Castle to treat the locals. She takes over the room occupied by the previous doctor and sorts through his cache of remedies. She discards much of the useless folk remedies but finds some herbal medicines to be of value. All the while, she can only think about how to get back to Craigh na Dun so that she can return to Frank.

One of the head of the Mackenzie Clan, Dougall, takes Claire to Captain John Randall (who, coincidentally, is an ancestor of husband, Frank!) so that she can be questioned. It does not go so well, and Claire is ordered to be brought back for further interrogation. The only way to avoid the clutches of Captain Randall again is for Claire to be wedded to a Scotsman. The lucky lady is wed to hunky Jamie Fraser. She eventually develops true feelings for Jamie (who wouldn't?), and she is torn between staying with Jamie in the 18th century or trying to return to Frank in the 20th century. Her education and skills can be put to good use in this new life of hers, and she feels needed and that she can do a lot of good here. We should all be so adaptable! Claire actually finds that she enjoys this simpler lifestyle and that her work is rewarding. And with yummy Jamie to keep her bed warm, what more could a woman want?

With all the hype about Jamie, I had expected the scenes to be hotter. They are a little tamer than what I am used to from the likes of J.R. Ward and Christine Feehan, but Gabaldon's scenes are more romantic:

Jamie to Claire: "Does it ever stop? The wanting you?" "Even when I've just left ye. I want you so much my chest feels tight and my fingers ache with wanting to touch ye again."

Jamie to Claire: "And I mean to hear ye groan like that again. And to moan and sob, even though you dinna wish to, for ye canna help it. I mean to make you sigh as though your heart would break, and scream with the wanting, and at last to cry out in my arms, and I shall know that I've served ye well."

Jamie to Claire: "Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own."

Jamie to Claire: "Ye are blood of my blood and bone of my bone I give you my body that we two might be one I give you my spirit till your life shall be done."

Ahhhhhhhhh, Jamie! What woman wouldn't want to stay with him? He is quite possibly the most romantic hero that I've ever read! What I loved most about Claire is that she did remain torn between her two lives right up until the end. She clearly is in love with two men, and it eats away at her even though she falls quickly and madly for Jamie. I loved Gabaldon's scene of Claire's confession at The Abbey. It was heart'wrenching to watch Claire grapple with her emotions as she ponders the moral aspects of her dilemma and also for Jamie to come to terms with what has happened to him. It did bother me a bit that Claire could so quickly appear to move on with her life so, for me, this was a much-needed time of reflection. I thought that Gabaldon ended this segment of the tale on the right note!

At this point in my life with young children, I would never be able to find the time to sit down and read this lengthy tome. It is for this reason that I am so thrilled that audiobooks exist! At nearly 33 hours, I was a little reluctant to start this audiobook because I worried that it would not hold my interest for the duration. Boy, was I wrong! Narrator Davina Porter is truly remarkable! Her voice is so rich with emotion. I loved her Scottish brogue, and she is quite convincing in her portrayal of Jamie and the other Scots. Even if you have read Outlander, I recommend listening to the audiobook. You will be captivated by Porter's performance!

I was hooked from beginning to end, and I can't wait to dive into the next in the series, Dragonfly in Amber.

MY RATING: 5 stars!! Loved it and know that I will be re-reading this again in the future! Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book!!, March 27 2006
This review is from: Outlander (The Outlander Series Book 1) (Hardcover)
First I have to say I am not a lover of historical books. I acutally usually don't read them at all but I was drawn to the time travelling aspect of this book. It was wonderful. The writing was absolutely page turning. I read it every spare second I had and even some seconds I didn't have to spare. I loved the story of romance, the background of Scotland all that happened in between. I am now just beginning the second book which has begun every bit as good!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot get enough!, Oct. 6 2012
S. Devaladares (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book, along with the rest of the series and the author herself have become my favorites. I couldn't put this book down when I first read it. I have read the entire series of books and am reading them for a second time. I have also read all of the "spin-off" books. This book/series you will either love or hate. I used to read only murder mysteries before. Since I have read Diana's books, I have never been able to go back! No one's writing measures up anymore and I crave more intricate plots lines and more "real" characters from all other books since. Diana puts so much research and time into her books and it shows. I will admit the beginning is a bit slow but if you can get past that, then I'm sure you will end up falling in love with this book as many others have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant put this down!, Oct. 25 2004
michelle (Australia, Sydney) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Paperback)
This is a wonderful story, it completely envokes all your senses and draws you into a blissful state of reading heaven. If you like a story mixed with hopeless romance, mystery, history and action this book has it all in one.
Be prepared to be taken on a journey into the world of 1746 old time Scotland and savour every moment of it, as the book appears large it will soon come to an end!
Loved it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Betrayed after 700 pages?!!!!! Buyer BEWARE!, March 1 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Outlander (The Outlander Series Book 1) (Hardcover)
Ms. Gabaldon is an extremely good writer and I throughly enjoyed the majority of this book...until scenes of such unnecessary vividly described sexual abuse/rape of a major character. I was unprepared for the depth of description and continued reliving of the event. The author had me held in her hand; I came to care about these characters and felt she could and should have found another path for this story. I had already purchased the remaining books in this series and am unsure as to whether or not I can "trust" her again with the rest of the series. I read in my leisure time for relaxation and for at least some form of escape from the more disturbing things in this life and I was sorely disappointed and disquieted in spirit at the conclusion of this book. I invested so much time with these characters and I had hoped I could trust an author in this genre to at the very least describe any serious troubles in a more removed or deminished way. I have never written a review, yet felt compelled to warn anyone buying this book be wary and forwarned. I wish someone had warned me! I'm going to check the reviews for the next books before I continue!

3.0 out of 5 stars Outlander Never Really Grabbed Me, May 3 2013
James A. Anderson "Author" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outlander (Kindle Edition)
Read this book on the recommendation of friends who are huge Diana Gabaldon fans and have devoured the entire series of Outlander books. Sorry, I dont share their slavish praise.

While I enjoyed the book and the time travel story of a woman going back to Jacobite Scotland in 1744 by passing through some ancient highland stones. I found it soooo long, thought it would never end.

I also thought the female lead character, Claire, never thought much about her modern day husband and too readily enjoyed and married young Jamie in 1744 Scotland. She also passes up a chance to go back through the stones and return to her life. She stays with Jamie. I thought this was a little unrealistic since she was supposedly happily married to Frank, her 1940s husband.

The writing is good and well researched about Scotland and its history, but the story never really grabbed me. It's just an OK book, but I think I will pass on the others in the series. I'll leave Diana Gabaldon to her many fans. Not really for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Writing, Jan. 15 2013
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read and reread this book for the joy of Diana Gabaldon's skills with language and a complex storyline. She has done her research, as well, so you learn a lot about Scottish life in the 18th century. The heroine thinks like a modern woman, which is refreshing after too many wimpy women in so-called historical fiction. It is the first book of a series, however can be read as a stand-alone. It was the first book in a long time to take me back to reading fiction and is one of the few books I have reread. I enjoyed it so much that I have given it as gifts to numerous people, male and female.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, definitely but some issues, June 7 2012
This review is from: Outlander (Mass Market Paperback)
It took me a while to get into this book but once I did, I pretty much picked it up and read it every chance I got until I finished it. I would cook dinner with it open and fall asleep reading it at night. There were some things that drove me crazy, like how Claire never really seemed to miss her "dear" husband whom she was madly in love with at the beginning of the book and how she seemed to have no problems adjusting to life 200 years in the past. Some of the "scenes" were a bit too graphic for me but that's just my personal preference.

Overall, it was well written and very entertaining. I think the characters were developed well and the historical facts throughout were fascinating.

I recommend it for a great escape novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am in love, Feb. 11 2012
Sandy S. (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
THE OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon

The Romance Reader, Listopia and Amazon ALL list THE OUTLANDER as their number one romance novel of all time. Because I apparently had nothing to read one night *rolls eyes*, I ordered THE OUTLANDER from KOBO and set my mind on everything love and romance. By the time I was finished (2 nights later) 896 ‘real’ pages, I had to agree: The Outlander is probably the number one romance novel *sigh*.
First published in 1991, The Outlander is a novel of love, romance and betrayal set in both the 18th and 20th centuries. So hold on, grab a coffee or glass of wine, read my review. It is almost as long as the book. : )

The Outlander is the first book in Diana Gabaldon’s The Outlander series. The Romance Reader, Listopia and Amazon ALL list The Outlander as the number one romance book of all time. So, I dug in my heels, and forged ahead. Almost 900 pages later, I am exhausted. The premise involves the history between Scotland and England, romance, sex, love, betrayal, violence, medicine, witchcraft, spirituality, torture, rape, time travel and family. But above all else, this is a love story that crosses the centuries: an accidental relationship that was forced between two people, to save their lives and the lives of many more.

The Outlander is a long novel. The many different storylines of romance, love and torture at the hands of someone claiming to love, is reminiscent of many abusive relationships. But the true relationship between Jamie and Claire, evolves into a love match, that anyone would hold close to their heart. The Outlander is one story,that I will never forget. As the first book in The Outlander series, I can only surmise, that my heart will be heavy, my eyes will be red, and I will not like the idea that Claire will return to her own time. The lists and top tens may have it correct-this is one of the best romance stories I have read.

Outlander (The Outlander Series Book 1)
Outlander (The Outlander Series Book 1) by Diana Gabaldon (Hardcover - 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 8.60