biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

on November 22, 2015
Re-reading this great story in a new format! Most enjoyable! Great addition to my ebook collection. BB
on October 24, 2015
One of the classics.
on October 3, 2015
but not up to the standards of his other books as ShoGun, Whirlwind for example.
on May 31, 2015
A hot mess ...
on March 18, 2014
The book is like the author's other saga book, save it covers too many sub plots and characters, to flow smoothly. On the other hand the descriptions of life in those times and places measure up to the others very well. I had to start this one several times, and almost push myself through due to all the data being thrown at the reader. Sho-gun and Tai-Pan have both been read several times by me and even now fully knowing the story and the plot, I have trouble laying the books down.
on August 26, 2013
The late James Clavell was a master story teller and this is one of his best efforts. Hard to put down.
on May 31, 2013
Great purchase, couldnt be happier, Ive read every book in the series so far and keep coming back for the next one.
on January 11, 2013
Fantastic historical details of early Japan and would be traders. Great read but there is somewhat graphic details of the Willow World (courtesans & prostitutes). That been said, the other details and characters of the story are truly well developed.
on February 25, 2004
Sometimes amusing, sometimes irritating. Too often the writing seems to be there only in order to show off mr Clavell's research that he however hasn't put in perfect use, as others have pointed out.
I have a question. Why Angelique? Why do I have to suffer trough the mewlings of the airhead? And however unearthily beautiful, do all the men of the book really have so unified taste as to drool after the self-centered bimbo?
I liked the Japanese characters much better than the gai-jin. Was rooting for the shishi all the time.
I love to read about the samurai era Japan, but next time I'll pick a Japanese author.
on February 2, 2004
Though there have been numerous negative comments surrounding this book, I thought I would tackle it anyway. And I have to say it was well worth it.
I will admit that at times, Clavell has characters 'space out' when they are in the middle of a conversation. At times it is difficult to keep up with the transitions he goes through.
But I still had to give it 5 stars because I loved every minute of this book. The characters are superb and if you have read shogun and tai-pan then you feel like you are still in the same book only later in life.
Read it, it will not disappoint you...