4.0 out of 5 stars Emotions for all
In this book, the authors Masson and McCarthy compile thoughtful and deeply educational stories that demonstrate the presence of emotions in non-human animals. Throughout the book these two authors draw from numerous stories and experiences that range from love to jealousy, to hate and compassion to convey to the reader the capacity of animals to experience emotions and...
Published on May 6 2003 by Jason Bumpus

3.0 out of 5 stars As guilty as the other side!
To start with, I agree with much of the authors' concerns about those who equate the scientific caution against anthropomorphizing with the notion that animals do not possess emotions at all. The problem? The authors point at anecdotal evidence for emotion in animals and simply ask the reader if an emotional explanation for the observed behavior isn't reasonable...
Published on July 8 2002 by Michael Brotherton

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, May 11 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals (Paperback)
I had to read this book for my reading class this year, when I came home my dad said,"this is a college level book they should not be giving this book to sixth graders" the reading teacher said that I didnt have to read it but I'm glad that I did.

2.0 out of 5 stars spends more time trashing scientists than discussing animals, June 15 1998
By A Customer
I was really disappointed in this book. No reasonable scientist today denies that many animals have emotions, thoughts, and consciousness; unfortunately, this book spends too much time trashing scientists and not enough time on its main topic.

1.0 out of 5 stars Animals have emotions and souls, but this book was terrible!, May 18 2002
"songbear" (Ashburn, VA United States) - See all my reviews
I love animals. Anyone who has ever lived with a dog, cat, horse, or any other species know animals have emotions. Some humans just don't have the time or the heart to recognize them and respond to them. This book deserved to be so much better than it actually was. Great idea executed poorly. "When Elephants Weep" ended up being too much of an intellectual discussion about what is wrong with the human race and is written from a sophomoric slant enough to bore all but the most devout pop psychology buff to complete and utter insanity. In the first two chapters, authors Susan McCarthy and Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson just rail on unfeeling humans (there is actually a chapter entitled "Unfeeling Brutes") and all we get for over 40 pages is a diatribe against the scientific community. The author even goes so far to discuss the deficiencies in Freudian psychology in the area of human child sexual abuse, but never fully explains why this is relevant to the topic of the book.
Opinions, opinions, and more opinions. I kept waiting for even moderately detailed, heartwarming accounts of animal emotions and all I got were short burst of dry, clinical accounts of various animals followed by paragraphs and paragraphs of human psychology. The main author Masson has a PhD in Sanskrit. Maybe he should stick to something he knows about, because he doesn't demonstrate that he knows anything about emotion in this book - animal or otherwise. This book is overwrought, poorly written, not well thought out, disorganized, doesn't make a good argument for animal emotions (which deserves one), and doesn't do anything to seriously convince the scientific community why they should study this subject more closely. Books like this actually hurt the cause more than they promote it. I just can't believe he got this published. I don't care what the critics say, or the fact that this was a New York Times best seller. Don't waste your money on this book. The authors come off like raving lunatics, making a respectable topic for research and further study look like it belongs on the magazine rack with the tabloids.
I have learned more about being human from my dog than I have ever learned from another human being. Animals have emotions - and I believe they have souls. Most humans know that by instinct and we'll have to rely on instinct until better written books and thorough research on this subject are published.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all!, May 25 2000
One of the best researched and creative books ever written. A must read for any thinking, feeling being. Nothing is forced upon you in this great book, everything is explained. A very pleasant, enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars More on other animals and the author than elephants, Nov. 18 2012
I really can't judge this book fully because I'm still reading it. But so far is not what I expected. I was looking more for a book about elephants and them habit. So far it isn't what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pesonal lives give indisputable evidence, Feb. 29 2000
In this book, you will read many wonderful accounts of animal behavior, many which you can see evident in your own living room if you've ever owned an animal, especially a cat. This is an excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper!!, Nov. 14 1998
By A Customer
As an avid reader I see alot of books come and go,and this one is definitely a keeper. I plan on re-reading this book over and over throughtout the coming years. I loved it...any animal lover would!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly heart rending, Oct. 31 2001
Rosa Mystica (Framingham, MA United States) - See all my reviews
A must read book, I personally recommend this book. I read it and I am glad I did.
People must give due respect to all creation, all sentient manifestation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best book I have ever read, Aug. 11 2000
David Nelson (Allendale, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
as well as one of the most provocative, intelligent, and vastly entertaining.

1.0 out of 5 stars very bad book, Feb. 28 2002
By A Customer
this book was the worst book i ever read it was very boring

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals
When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson (Paperback - May 2 1996)
CDN$ 21.00 CDN$ 15.47