5.0 out of 5 stars Praise from a recovering alcoholic male
I read this book initially as a practicing alcoholic in denial, and then in early recovery. I loved the book the first time recognizing the honesty and courage. The author's style was very pleasing. Now, I appreciate the honesty, courage, and accuracy. I go to A.A. meetings every day, and A.A. is my family now. I wondered, "What could this book offer that I wasn't...
Published on July 13 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Very intelligent book ..... but
I read it as someone interested in addiction, having given up smoking and also cutting down on alcohol, perhaps one of the "fringe" people she mentions. This book made me realise that you don't have to be an alcoholic to abuse alcohol on a regular (or irregular) basis, and I recognised myself many times in the book. So this book was very interesting for me for many...
Published on Jan. 17 2004

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, Nov. 10 1998
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Every aspect of this book touched a nerve: Caroline's struggles with her family, food, men, and ultimately, alcohol. "There are needs that don't respond well to the concept of moderation" is one of my favorite quotes from the book, and it says it all.
I particularly drew strength from her examination of her romantic relationships, and her battle to extricate herself from her romance with Julian. Reading this book was a turning point in my decision to end a similarly co-dependent romance.

2.0 out of 5 stars A blah book, May 24 2000
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
The book is interesting because the author writes well about the subject, but then it just keeps repeating the same point over and over...shes a closet alcoholic and its so hard to stop drinking and so on and so on. I didn't even bother to read to the end; the ending was so predicatable, she would stop drinking. Maybe I wasn't so keen on the book because I do not know what it feels like to be an alcoholic and I can't relate, but this book lost my interest after the first 70 pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars a true lifesaver, June 15 2002
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
I just read that Ms. Knapp died of lung cancer and I'm in shock. Drinking: A Love Story changed my life for the better once I had made the decision to stop drinking and I picked up her book for some help and guidance. I've since shared it with every alcoholic I know. I'm extremely saddened that Ms. Knapp enjoyed only a few years of sobriety, and even more so at the thought of how short her life was. I found this book brilliant and personally fulfilling. I wish for half her talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars frighteningly realistic, Feb. 23 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
this book truly captured my drinking years for me and helped me to remember the horror and insanity of that time. almost as hypnotic as the mental aspect of alcoholism itself. whenever i am tempted to think things were not so bad, i hope i remember to pick this book up and reread it. helped to recall some things i thought were long buried. if you have no idea what this disease does to people, this book is about the most vivid i have ever read, especially about the alcoholic woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking in the Mirror, Feb. 13 2000
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
Caroline Knapp has captured the "secret life of professional female drinkers" with this powerful memoir. Reading this book was a true looking - glass experience for me. Being in my first year of sobriety, I was in tears by the second chapter, as she exposed one raw nerve after another. The book has had a profoundly positive effect upon my sobriey and I believe it is a wonderful tool for any woman who is in the early steps of her recovery journey. Thank you Caroline!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, April 23 2004
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
This book is a truth telling magnificent look from the author's own life that speaks of a childhood of pain, lost in drink...and the years of battle to overcome her addiction. She shows courage and determination to survive and thrive when it would have been so much easier to give in. I am impressed with her writing acomplishments. An excellent read.
Hannah Lee
My Other Recommended reads: Nightmares Echo, Running With Scissors,Dry,I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings

5.0 out of 5 stars good honesty, Feb. 9 2001
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
I generally loathe "poor me" books. Luckily, this isn't one of those. It is, instead, an honest look at the insidious side of alcoholism....how easily it creeps into one's life. How easily we work to disguise it once it's in residence. I believe this book will encourage anyone who has made the decision to quit drinking. But even more so, I believe this book will encourage anyone who has not yet called themselves an alcoholic....but may find a reflection in these pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for me!, May 8 1997
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
I had the same love affair Caroline Knapp had and suffered the same results. I totally identified with this story and it has nothing to do with her background or career. It has to do with the feelings that come with being a drunk. Alcohalism doesn't discriminate and it doesn't care were your from or how much money you have in your pocket. There are not to many books about alcohalism written by women about themselves and I am glad Miss Knapp had the courage to do it

3.0 out of 5 stars Disturbed My Serenity, Dec 20 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
"Drinking: A Love Story" is a well-written book, but when I tried to read it at nine years sober, I found it profoundly disturbing. I only read the first three or four chapters before I put it down.
Had I been in the first three years of sobriety when this book was published, I probably would have loved it and related to it. Many of my fellow travelers thought it was wonderful.
Unfortunately for me, I found the book to be a drunk-a-log.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on alcoholism I've ever read., June 4 1998
hacaro@javanet.com (Springfield, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
I have alcoholics in my family and a personal interest in the whys and hows of alcoholism. I've read a lot of books and stories about and by alcoholics but I've never before gained the insight Knapp provides. I could never understand why someone would want to inflict such horrible pain and sickness on herself. Knapp makes me understand, and even empathize. This book is a must for any friend or family member of an alcoholic, especially a woman alcoholic.

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

Drinking: A Love Story
Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp (Paperback - May 12 1997)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00