5.0 out of 5 stars Praise from a recovering alcoholic male
I read this book initially as a practicing alcoholic in denial, and then in early recovery. I loved the book the first time recognizing the honesty and courage. The author's style was very pleasing. Now, I appreciate the honesty, courage, and accuracy. I go to A.A. meetings every day, and A.A. is my family now. I wondered, "What could this book offer that I wasn't...
Published on July 13 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Very intelligent book ..... but
I read it as someone interested in addiction, having given up smoking and also cutting down on alcohol, perhaps one of the "fringe" people she mentions. This book made me realise that you don't have to be an alcoholic to abuse alcohol on a regular (or irregular) basis, and I recognised myself many times in the book. So this book was very interesting for me for many...
Published on Jan. 17 2004

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Better if there was more on recovery..., July 31 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
Many have discussed this book's "eye opening" experience. However, where's the meat on discussing what it's like to "recover" ???? That, ladies and gentlemen, is the very, very hard part about alcoholism and getting over the drink. This book brushes over that aspect in only a few pages and treats alcoholism as if "once the problem is recognized and acknowledged, the hard part's over."
This would have been a far better book if would have spent as much time talking about "recovery" as it did in its indulgent self-appraisal of what the "drinker" actually experiences. While I recommend it for folks who may need a kick in the pants to recognize the problem, dealing with alcoholism once it's there is far, far...far...more difficult. Perhaps there's a book in that concept all by itself...

4.0 out of 5 stars Crossed Paths, July 21 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
I found this wonderful book in a used bookstore in my new Calif. home and recognized the author's name, having read her weekly articles in The Phoenix during my Boston years ('87-'95) when I was also chasing the bottle in many of the very same bars... I probably saw her in the Aku-Aku numerous times during MY post work decompressions before I jumped in my car & headed back to Cambridge (before I was tooo drunk, and of course before the liquor stores closed)...
There is an honesty in this book that shines in ways her newsprint work never did... I realize now that some of that hip, urban glibness was part of her own internal dialogue & self-delusion. I am astounded that she was able to produce such consistant work while he addiction was spiraling out of control (a feat I was failing at at the time)
I've read many of the same confessionals that Im sure everyone scanning these reviews has: Pete Hammill's 'The Drinking Life', Bob Welsh's 'Five O'clock Comes Early' and even Exley's " A Fan's Notes"...which is an ALL-TIME classic piece of work...... but Caroline's story IS different because she IS a woman, and like it or not-our society STILL has more tolerance of a hard-drinkin' guy than of a hard-drinkin' gal. This book examines the other social pressures that contributed to her alcohol addiction, the sort of pressures that are unique to women...food & body issues, 'being the good daughter' etc. True, as some of the other reviewers have mentioned, it does fall into some repitition about halfway through... but remember how many times we have had to jump through the same hoops over and over and over before we've learned the lesson once and for all.
Male or Female...read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be alcoholic to identify with her., July 21 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
A superbly written jolt between the eyes. She explores her life with more honesty than most of us ever will. You don't have to lift a glass of wine to identify with her struggles and her insecurities. For many of us, they're a part of every day life. A warning: don't read this book unless you're prepared to awake some of your own hidden demons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this book changed my life. It was wonderful, July 13 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
When I bought this book I knew I had a drinking problem. I was able to identify with many of the thoughts and feelings of the author. With the information I recieved in the book I was able to face my alcoholism and do something about it. I have been sober for five months and regularly attend AA meetings. I would like to thank Caroline Knapp for writing this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little on the dull side, May 21 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
I enjoyed the first few chapters, and then it just got monotonous. Same old stuff, I thought I was different. Perhaps it is because I am also a sober alcoholic - once you get past the details, the stories are all pretty much the same. I have been helped over the years by so many recovering alcoholics who have shared their stories, experience and hope with me - for free. I guess I have a bias against those who are making money/receiving fame from it.
I would suggest that anyone who wants to really learn about alcoholism read "Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women have Recovered From Alcoholism", and those who have family members who are alcoholic may benefit from literature from the Alanon Family Groups.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for women alcoholics, May 17 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)
I enthusiastically recomend this book for women who are in recovery or know a female alcoholic. Each page was a new discovery. I have attended many meetings over the years but have never felt like someone else did all of the things I did. I had such a relief knowing that I was not the only one who behaved this way. I have bought several copies of this book and given them to my friends in AA and Alon. Highly recomended.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must read for women alcoholics, May 17 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent primary for the newly committed non-drinker, April 20 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
Caroline Knapp has written a brilliant book based on her own experience in quitting drinking. She is poised but at the same time personal and honest. She "tells it like it is" in wonderful words. It really is a beautiful tribute to a horrible addiction. She makes it all seem so real and so OK.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found Carolyn's book enlightening, engrossing and poignant, April 7 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
From the first page I found Drinking, A Love Story riveting. I appreciated the authors honesty and intelligence, her insights and vulnerability. The book caused me to re-evaluate my drinking habits and more than once had me sit up in my chair in recognition of myself in some insight of the authors. Her observtions on women and addiction in the form of anorexia rang so true with me it hurt. Throughout the book I cared about this person and was sad to finish it because I felt I was ending not just the book, but losing a new friendship.

4.0 out of 5 stars I found this book interesting and educational., March 25 1999
This review is from: Drinking: A Love Story (Hardcover)
I liked this book a lot. It dealt with the issue of alcholism an how it is in many everyday situations. Caroline started drinking at an early age and it was not that out of the ordinary. I liked reading about her experiences and how she was able to overcome them. I recommend this book to anyone. It offers a lot of information about what an alcholics life is like before, after and during recovery.

‹ Previous | 16 7 811 | Next ›

Drinking: A Love Story
Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp (Paperback - May 12 1997)
CDN$ 18.00 CDN$ 13.00