5.0 out of 5 stars Sarny: A Life Remembered by Gary Paulsen
Sarny takes place in the South. It occurs right after the Civil War. Sarny is a slave whom just been freed because the North won. She sets off in a desperate search for her sold children. There were two of them and they had just barely became toddlers when they were hurriedly sold to a slave trader. Their names were Delie and Tyler.
Finding herself free in a...
Published on March 12 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars mark's review
Published on Nov. 24 2003 by mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarny, April 2 2004
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
We really enjoyed this book. It was very emotional in some parts and very funny. It gives people the chance to see what it was like to be a slave and to change dramatically in one day. We give this book 4 stars out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarny: A Life Remembered by Gary Paulsen, March 12 2004
By A Customer
Finding herself free in a Northern filled South, Sarny is accompanied by another former slave as they trudge their tenseful journey. She meets many new friends and even finds true love in places she had never even imagined.
As many friends as she makes, there were still quite a few people who threatened her and became a nuisance. These people still thought blacks should be slaves. They treated Sarny in the worst ways without even touching her...
Although Paul revolves the book around Sarny and her experiences with life during and after the Civil War, he skillfully mixes in a bit of history. Paul shows the hardships of both races-black and white alike-during that fateful era. This heartrending story will keep you laughing to stitches one moment, and have tears streaming down your cheeks the next. This book would be recommended to all ages-from children to adults.
In my opinion, I enjoyed the book very much. I was fascinated how a remarkable story. While I was reading could see through Sarny's eyes and experience the miserable times to the cheerful times. Through Paulson's figurative writing, I could feet the pain of the whippings on my shoulders. I could smell the smoke of fire dying down to embers, and feel the misery and joy jumble as one like needles lightly pricking my heart.
I have been fortunate enough to read Nightjohn-the story of Sarny as a young child. Sarny: A Life Remembered. This enchanting sequel enraptured me with the feelings and thoughts of Sarny-I was blown away by Sarny's determinedness and her spunk. Paulson intigued me by threading the story seamlessly and making me cling to the pages, eager to read on.
However, in the story, Nightjohn, Sarny was a child who just wanted to learn. Now, she is a grown woman with responsibilities whose top priority is her children. In Nightjohn, Sarny didn't want to lose the language of writing; in Sarny: A Life Remembered, she did not want to lose her children. In Nightjohn, learning the alphabet was the most important thing that was happening to her and in the book, Sarny:, the only thing in the world that she cared about was her two little toddlers. In a short period of time, Sarny's life changed completely and unexpectedly.
Overall, Sarny: A Life Remembered was a superb book. I would definitely recommend to anyone who enjoys and interesting story that can make you laugh and cry at once. This is the best family book and should be told over and over again. I would absolutely rate Gary Paulsen's Sarny: A Life Remembered as a five star book!

5.0 out of 5 stars jake is the man, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is a must read because it has a ll the good thing a book should have. it gives an good view on how it was to be a slave during the cilvil war and if you want to read a good book this is the one.

4.0 out of 5 stars nightjohn, Nov. 24 2003
roxann (starke, fl) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
I really believe the book sarny was very well written and it really portrayed how slavery really was and how bad things were for the slaves. It really mad me open my eyes and see just how good I have it. I used to just think that the slaves would just have to work really hard and long days,and at the end of the day they would be able to rest and eat a good meal, but that is the complete oposite of how things really were. Life for the slaves was horrible and theres just no words to say that would describe how bad they had it and just how bad they were treated. I fill that everyone should read this book because it is definitly an eye opener.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sarny, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
This was a very good book. A follow up from the book Nightjohn. Has lot of information about the war and the soilders. About how they were treated in the slavery houses and how they were freed and slavery was abolished. Has alot of information. A very good book to read if you are into this kind of stuff.

3.0 out of 5 stars mark's review, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a good book. The time and setting are very interesting and the story is very easy to follow. It has also given me insight on parts of slavery iv'e never known. For instance that they secretly taught each other how to read and write. Another cool thing is that it shows the time period through the eyes of a slave going all over the south from Georgia to Louisianna. This book however isn't one of my favorites, but it is a good read. I would recommend it to History classes teaching about the slavery era. This book ;however, isn't on one of my favorite topics and its kind of so-so... So I'll give it a rating of 3 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a bool, Nov. 24 2003
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
I think Sarny is an awesome book. It tells a story about a determined young women who stayed focus and then finally got what she wanted in life. I really liked the slang that was used when writing this book. It added so much to the book. I read Night John first and then decided I wanted to read Sarny as well. I really enjoyed reading and if another book comes out like this one I will definately read it too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sarny, Nov. 24 2003
Taylor (Starke, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarny (Hardcover)
I read the book Sarny in school. It was a great story that was well written. I was reading something that I, along with my other peers do not experience everyday. Slavery is something we do not deal with, but it is a huge part of our history that we should all know about. The book portrays it in a light that shows what people like Sarny went through. I think that classes in schools should be required to read Sarny.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a great book, Nov. 24 2003
Mary D (Gainesville Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
I enjoyed this book thoroughly, I thought it was well written, and once you started reading it, you were shipped back in time. I thought it was a good book, and should be read more in High School classes. I believe I learned more about slavery than I had known before.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it., Nov. 24 2003
Tabitha (Stake, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sarny (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. It gives you a very good example of what it was like during that time period and it is a real attention grabber.

ARRAY(0xb3ed02dc)

Sarny
Sarny by Gary Paulsen (Hardcover - Sept. 8 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01