4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short stories from various sources
This book is a collection of 25 short stories. They are simple but you can if you want read great depth in them. These stories would make good starters for a reading group or circle. They are professional but not extraordinary or unique.

Published 9 months ago by bernie

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't by a book by the cover pic
Some other edition sent not the one in the picture (which was to replace the one lifted from my office) in short don't by a book by the cover pic.
Published 21 months ago by Tj

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't by a book by the cover pic, Nov. 7 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short stories from various sources, Oct. 10 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

"The year was 2081, and everyone was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal in every way."

I bought this book for one story in particular "Harrison Bergeron"; I bought the movie with Sean Astin and thought even if the story was fleshed out to be more like "This Perfect Day". So I thought it would be time to read the story. Unfortunately the short story can not hold a candle to the movie. It never really gets off the ground and comes to a curt conclusion never resolving the conflict.

Harrison Bergeron

5.0 out of 5 stars !!! GREAT !!!, June 2 2004
This review is from: Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories (Paperback)
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! When I picked it up I thought that it was not going to be as good as Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-five", but it deffinately was. Vonnegut has once again proved himself to be a magnificent author in this collection of short stories.
In this book, there were a few parts that I beleive may have been adapted from the past. If this is the case, Vonnegut has deffinately done a good job reproducing them, as well as make up brilliant tales of his own.
This is one of those books that you'll read once and contemplate for a while. Then you'll find it lying around a month or two later and pick up a totally new perspective on its initial meaning. This is book that MUST be read, no questions asked. :-D

5.0 out of 5 stars What? I can only have five stars? You're kidding, right?, July 24 2004
This review is from: Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories (Paperback)
I've read everything Vonnegut ever wrote--no brag, just fact. So I know of where I speak . . . or whatever that phrase is. At any rate, WELCOME TO THE MONKEY HOUSE is one of my favorite books (BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS and GOD BLESS YOU MR. ROSEWATER are top on this list), and I'm constantly preaching to those around me that more attention must be paid this great author. See, I'm doing it now. Worth the money just for "Harrison Bergeron," the greatest science fiction story of all time, and my favorite of all genres. It's the perfect story: short, funny, makes its point obvious without being preachy, and includes a scene (where the two main characters, freed from society's imposed handicaps, literally reach for the sky) that stays in your mind forever. Would also recommend THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD for a dark comedic suspenseful and shocking read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A collection of short stories from various sources, July 20 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Harrison Bergeron

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes You Think, June 1 2004
Kris (Oxnard, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories (Paperback)
Well, most of the 54 previous reviewers raved about this collection of stories, but I did see one reviewer who felt the story, Monkey House, seems to encourage a certain illegal behavior. I agree with that observation, and while I was reading the story I was certain people today would notice that point: Maybe in 1968 (the publication date), people didn't notice?
Some of the stories seemed like "starter" stories, something a "wannabe" writer might write. But some really do make you think. What if you were forced to be "equal" to everyone else (Harrison Bergeron)? What if an anti-aging concoction was discovered and the population explosion covered the earth with people of all ages (Tomorrow etc.)? These kinds of questions are certainly relevant today, and that may be one measure of their worth: longevity.
I could not read this book like a novel, with growing interest as the plot unfolds. For me, it was the type of book one would have to put aside from time to time, to kind of "digest" the contents, before reading more. That could be another measure of literary worth: it doesn't go down like cotton candy but kind of "stays with you," the way a good meal should. Diximus.

1.0 out of 5 stars early vonnegut short stories, March 7 2004
This review is from: Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories (Paperback)
I was terribly interested to read this book as I am, admittedly, a huge fan of Vonnegut. However, these short storie are absolutely terrible. All critiques of the writing style aside, the thing that got me the most was the the short story from which the anthology got its name advocates rape. I understand that these are stories that Vonnegut wrote to support himself and his family and to fund his novels, and as such can not particularly be seen as his 'vision', but they truely are terribly written and often ideoligically insulting.

5.0 out of 5 stars He writes science fiction, with a dash of harsh reality., Dec 2 2003
This review is from: Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories (Paperback)
Myself, I've never read any Vonnegut in the past. As a matter of fact, I have not read many books at all before. This collection of short stories is just perfect for someone like me. The stories vary from about five pages to twenty pages apiece, making them easy for anyone to ascertain in a short amount of time. After getting about half-way through the book I decided to go out and purchase SLAUGHTER-HOUSE-FIVE, SIREN OF THE TITANS, and GODBLESS YOU DR.KEVORKIAN. That is what is so beautiful about this book, the fact that someone who never reads, can easily peruse a story or two with out missing a beat. Kurt will capture your attention in every tale.
Vonnegut came way before my time, but now I see what all the recognition was about. His ideas on government and modern society were way ahead of his time. His notions of peace, shifty politicians, and clandestine activities are what make him an excellent addition to any radical library. He writes science fiction, with a dash of harsh reality. These ideals, of an overpopulated world in which every aspect of our lives are governed, are presented with extraordinary detail in Vonnegut's writing. Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, Harrison Bergeron, and Welcome to the Monkey House (The story) are lurid representations of the way the future could be. This book has it all romance, tragedy, and triumph. Every story is not just science fiction, as you may imagine. Most of the stories are set in the past and have no portrayals of an automated society or a talking dog that helped to invent electricity. In fact, one of my favorite stories, The Foster Portfolio, is one that contains no special effects at all. Like many of Vonnegut's other stories, The Foster Portfolio just deals with simple human characteristics like pride, ambition, and happiness. The presentation that Kurt puts into his characters is marvelous. When you get done reading one of his stories you'll feel as though you know the characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars If You Have Read Everything Else Vonnegut Has Written..., Dec 1 2003
Having just finished Welcome to the Monkey House, I must admit that I prefer Vonnegut's lengthier works. I know this may make me a grand candidate for a good stoning, as Mr. K is reputed to be one of the best short story writers around, but this one just didn't do it for me like Slaughterhouse or Hocus Pocus or even Slapstick. Don't get me wrong, these stories are good, they just aren't any better than other famous and well read sci-fi short fiction writers like Asimov or Bradbury.
I think, oddly enough, the constriction of the medium has to do with some of the similarities I see between these stories and, say, the works of Ray Bradbury (who came to mind a number of times while reading this work). While Vonnegut's novels are sprawling and conversational with enough room for a doodle or two, these small pieces are forced into a beginning, middle and end format that doesn't play as well with his style.
I have devoured a number of Vonnegut works in a day or so, and sometimes I have read a them back to back, but Monkey House took me almost two weeks to read. I stalled out a few times, sometimes after two pages of a new story, and put the book down to finish it later. I ended up reading a story a day for the last week, just so I could finish without getting burned out.
Like I said before, these stories aren't bad, they just seem to be standard for both their age and their genre when Vonnegut tends to be anything other than standard on every other occasion. I wasn't terribly disappointed, but I will stick to the novels from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vonnegut Pulls Through Again with Monkey House, Nov. 21 2003
Melina Deweese "MidWestern Reality" (Columbus, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories (Paperback)
Kurt Vonnegut has a very unique writing style. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is not your regular book. This is a collection of short stories. All of them are classic Vonnegut. They include humor, and off the wall plots. A lot of the stories remind me of Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury).

Some of the stories are set in the future, others in the past. They are all captivating and encourage imagination. A lot of Vonnegut stories have a lesson to them if you look hard enough. This book's short stories definitely show some of the lessons he tries to teach.
If you have never read a Vonnegut book this would be a great one to start with. Because the stories are not very long, if you lose interest you can easily move on a different story. The actual story, "Welcome to the Monkey House" is great. Vonnegut shows us how warped our world could be. Many of the stories are like that.
Vonnegut continues to show us new possibilities in the realm we live in. None of his stories are so outlandish that they could never happen. He always includes enough reality to never make it impossible. What he does include makes us take a look at what we really want to allow the government to control and what could happen. Only Kurt Vonnegut could make a story that is about "ethical suicide." I loved it!!!! You will love this book, it is wild, it is crazy, and it is totally VONNEGUT.

Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories
Welcome to the Monkey House: Stories by Kurt Vonnegut (Paperback - Sept. 8 1998)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68