5.0 out of 5 stars My opinion? This is the greatest novel written in English
Yes, that is a strong statement, but I believe THE COTTAGE to be the best novel written in English. And English is a rich language, overflowing with worthy works from both sides of the Atlantic, India and beyond. The only novel as a close contender on my list is Jane Eyre, with its fearsome symmetry and romantic passion.
Danielle Steel has been the bane of students...
Published on April 10 2002 by Joseph Dirt

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unimpressed
Published on April 27 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Unimpressed, April 27 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Cottage (Hardcover)
I have to say this is by far the WORST Danielle Steel book I have ever read. Being a 31 year old woman I just could not get into the affair between the 30 year old woman and 70 year old man that takes place through almost the entire book. Honestly, it was too gross to even imagine. I could not relate to any of the characters nor would I ever want too. The ending was very disturbing...almost like an episode of 90210 the way everyone was switching bed buddies. YUCK! If you MUST read this book wait for the paper back or check it out at the library. But, in all honesty there's got to be a better use of your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than most of her later stuff, June 2 2003
Jeannie Ruesch (Winters, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cottage (Hardcover)
I have read virtually every Danielle Steel book out there. In fact, for many years, the minute I saw the book on the shelf, I was a bit lighter in my pocket for having bought it. I've been really disappointed in much of her later works - feeling that they were extremely repetitive and worn out plots. The Cottage is the best of the latter works I have read. I enjoyed the characters, though I would have liked to see more of the interaction between Alex and Jimmy, as well as Mark and Taryn. Overall, a light, enjoyable read.

Randy Miller (Taylorville, IL USA) - See all my reviews
reccomend it to anyone! Danielle Steele is truly a romantic genius.

Randy Miller (Taylorville, IL USA) - See all my reviews
Danielle Steele is a master artist at slowly piecing a book together, such as one of her better novels, The Cottage. This book consists of amazing characters that are split from the lives they once knew, and later are puzzled back together for a friendly meeting. Each main character, Jimmy, Mark, and Coop, are so different in their personalities but yet so much alike in their experiences. They cry, laugh, and just simply have fun when they are finally together. These three men share many similar situations throughout the novel and in the end, they all meet and talk about those certain happenings in each of their lives. How woman have left, cheated, and even passed away but they dealt with it and moved on. Luckily, they all found each other in their differences and similarities to be best friends. The capturing way Steele writes activates your emotions and slams your reality-way of thinking. She has a "happily-ever-after" touch to her writing and it takes your breathe away. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this selection and would reccomend it to anyone! Danielle Steele is truly a romantic genius.

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and Somewhat Enjoyable, Jan. 10 2003
This review is from: The Cottage (Hardcover)
I go back and forth with Danielle Steele's books. Some I love, others are ho-hum, and some have such implausible plots that I don't even bother to finish reading them.
"The Cottage" is one of the better books Ms. Steele has written in a while. The characters are well-developed and, for the most part, likable; the dialog is fun; and the story keeps you interested with its various twists and turns.
I did have problems in a few chapters, and found myself asking questions like these:
How can a man who just lost the wife, whom he professed to be the love of his life, fall deeply in love with another woman not even six months after his wife's death?
How can a father and his child bond so swiftly and completely when they knew nothing of each other's existence for 39 years?
How can a well-educated, independent woman put up with the egocentricities and obnoxious behavior of a man old enough to be her grandfather?
I have to be in the right frame of mind for a Steele book: A hard day at the office, and a need to chill out with some light reading set me on to this book. Although I did say, "Oh c'mon," in several spots, I enjoyed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood Glitz and Glamour on a budget, Aug. 30 2002
Denise Bentley "Kelsana" (The California Redwoods) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cottage (Hardcover)
Cooper Winslow is a movie star that is as big as life. At the age of 70 it has been years since he has been able to get a part that will sustain his wild spending sprees, and grandiose lifestyle. His accountant is about to come up with a solution, and Coop isn't too happy with the lengths he will have to go to save The Cottage, a magnificent mansion that he has called home since his earlier years. As Coop is forced to take in borders the lives of three men become entwined in what will be an interesting as well as productive outcome.
Like all of Steel's books we have a romance or two in the making, and the reader enjoys the emotional impact this imparts. Coop thinks he finds love, and then questions his motive, something new for him after a lifetime of playful young starlets. Jimmy has to find his life again after a tragedy that will never leave him the same, and Mark is dealing with the break up of his family, and the confusion that has become his children's life. The characters are likable, and I found myself rooting for them from time to time. This was a predictable book like most of this author's books yet enjoyable none-the-less. The pleasure was in the journey, and not the expected ending. It was a fun read to end my summer. Kelsana 8/30/02

4.0 out of 5 stars Not All Bad, May 16 2002
"wildwoodldy" (Village Mills, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cottage (Hardcover)
I began reading this book and felt like I was walking in quicksand. Next, I felt like I was going round and round in circles. I said "I've been here before". DS kept telling the same thing over and over about the characters and each of the different life styles.
I would have rated the book a 3 but the story got better after "the accident" which takes place about midway the book. I started enjoying the book at that point. The main character,Cooper Winslow, leaves a lot to be desired by most women.Cooper has one relationship after another with women young enough to be his granddaughters. His relationship doesn't last very long with any of them. Cooper refuses to acknowledge that he is not a young man any longer.He will not take movie roles that don't portray him a leading man. Cooper doesn't realize he should be playing the roles of a father or a grandfather.
Cooper's poor management of money and his vanity threatens his financial future.His self-centered,egotistical,selfish personality made me gag. It took two special mature women in his life to turn him around.

The Cottage
The Cottage by Danielle Steel (Hardcover - Feb. 26 2002)
CDN$ 39.95 CDN$ 31.96
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available