Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on April 10, 2002
Yes, that is a strong statement, but I believe THE COTTAGE to be the best novel written in English. And English is a rich language, overflowing with worthy works from both sides of the Atlantic, India and beyond. The only novel as a close contender on my list is Jane Eyre, with its fearsome symmetry and romantic passion.
Danielle Steel has been the bane of students everywhere who suffer reading LEAP OF FAITH in high school. But later on, you, like me, may develop a taste for the classics and this book will reward you richly.
The first few chapters are tedious and overwritten; I nearly gave up at some points but I always thought, "I got this far, I might as well go further." By the end of the book, I was sorry I had finished it and sad that I would no longer read about these characters who had become so intimate to me. That's my measure of a masterpiece. I felt as if I'd lost some friends in the main characters when I closed the book.
The main reason I was bored in the first few chapters was because I found Cooper Winslow so unbelieavably "good" and "pious." I could not relate at all to the character who seemed one-dimensional. And I was not surprised or sorry that he had dwindled his fortune down to nearly nothing, and had to take on roommates. But I believe now that Danielle Steel's early depiction of Coop sets us up to realize that we all often are foolish and close-minded when we are old and ought to believe passionately in "saving the world." Even with the best of intentions, as Steel shows, we often fall short because of societal restrictions and mistakes we make in life. In the final analysis, Danielle Steel makes her point well: we can inspire people and change their lives with one act of kindness and by doing good in our community in our quiet ways. I started out rolling my eyes at Cooper and ended up wanting to emulate him in my own life.
I love Danielle Steel's style of writing - beautifully and distinctively eloquent and expressive, and with such observance and skills in depicting the depths and complexities of human relations and the demands and passions of the heart. The book also explores the issues of "class," "money," "politics," "scandals," and even "murder" - all portrayed brilliantly in high drama and with engrossing suspense.
I am surprised that so many people think the story centers around Cooper. What makes this novel so compelling and fascinating is Danielle Steel's accomplishment in creating an entire village with complex characters so different and yet so similar to each other. I would say this story is as much about Mark Friedman, Jimmy O' Connor, Alex et al as it was about Cooper.
In my copy of the book, there is a quote by Virginia Woolfe that says, to paraphrase, that this book is a great English novel written for adults. This is so true! I am a die-hard Jane Austen fan, but the one major flaw I see with Austen is that she writes about courtship and ends at marriage so it can be easy to write (though in my wildest dreams I could never write as brilliantly as Jane Austen). Courtship is often exciting, romantic, and idealistic. But marriage, and any long-term relationship, involves compromise, trials and tribulations, tests of a couple's strength or the events that reveal the weakness of their bond. This novel examines the full range from courtship to marriage and the difficulties within all relationships. Through all the events, you find yourself sympathizing with each character, even while you realize you loathe what he/she is doing, his/her point of view. What's amazing is that within this complex set of characters lies complexity within each person.
on July 23, 2002
As usual Danielle Steel keeps your attention until the very end again with this book. I really enjoyed reading it. It is about a very rich man who lives on an estate and loves to spend money then he gets in trouble and is about to go bankrupt because he hasn't made a movie in awhile, so he rents out his guest house and one wing of his mansion to two bachelors who have had their own bought of bad luck. The way Danielle brings these three totally different men together and make them friends is heartwarming and keeps you wanting to read more.
on November 3, 2002
Danielle Steel is my favorite author. I have all of her books in hardcover. I just wait for her next one! This was a great book, just like all of her books, my only problem, is that once I start reading her books, I don't want to put them down. I have been known to read way into the wee hours of the morning, and I usually finish her books within 1 to 2 days.
I would recommend this book to all of Danielle Steel fans.
on March 19, 2002
I've been waiting for a good one that I can't put down.
Boy did Steel deliver!
I loved the book, I recommend it for all Steel readers and what a great book to start out on for newbies!
I would love to see this one made into a movie!
I loved it! - It took me away as reading always does...
on July 16, 2002
Excellent book with a ending that will touch your heart. Very unexpected. 3/4 through we jumped to the end because we couldn't take the suspense anymore.
on July 6, 2002
Good book. Was very interesting reading. I wanted to continue reading every day and not stop to see what would happen next. Keep them coming Danielle.
on April 16, 2002
This is Danielle Steel's very best book she has written.
I would recommend it to anyone.