Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on March 10, 2003
This is my first Danielle Steel book. I picked it up in an attempt to learn something about the Romance genre. One thing I found out is that Danielle Steele needs to learn something about grammer and punctuation. I have never seen so many comma splices in my life. This writing would fail a freshman English class. Don't they have editors at Delacorte Press, a Division of Random House?
This book also has no structure, and runs on as if churned out. I never quite know who is talking about what from one sentence to the next. Still, I have to admit, the story is sort of compelling, in a shallow and pointless way that somehow perfectly describes the characters and their situations. I am not finished yet, but I do want to know how it comes out.
I gave it two stars. One for being written at all, and one for me still reading it.
Maybe there is hope for me as a writer yet. This book just shows that my standards have been set too high!
on August 9, 2002
A time passer to take with you on a trip, The Cottage was very implausible and I was very put off by Cooper and his lifestyle. I was so turned off by actor Cooper, especially by his affair with wealthy Alex and the 40 year age difference between them. It is unrealistic that Alex would be so dazzled by 70 year old Cooper that she would overlook his affairs with twenty-somethings and his sudden breakups with them. Alex even brushes aside and seems so nonchalant about Cooper's impending possible fatherhood and doesn't understand why Cooper's ex would want to keep the baby. Yet Alex seems to want to have children with Cooper anyway. I liked the secondary plot better with Jimmy and Mark who are much more likeable that I found myself very sympathetic to them. I agree with earlier reviewers that the "instant bonding" between Cooper and his long lost grown daughter was highly unrealistic.
on January 5, 2003
The problem in this book, for me, was the way that the characters were underdeveloped campy cariacatures of the role they were supposed to play. There was nothing very interesting about the plot, which wandered across the years without direction and tried to build itself by adding in characters till the end. No build up no climax, it was just a journal that chronicled happenings that were dull. In fact the explosive version of a tale of aging Hollywood stars is told by author Thorne Peters in the novel OLDE HOLLYWOOD, which sizzles and sparks where this tale fizzles and treads water. This is the first time of been disappointed by one of her novels, so I will continue to read her work.
on March 4, 2003
It is hard to believe that this book, as well as most of Ms. Steel's most recent works were written by the same author as her earlier bestsellers, such as Wanderlust and Zoya. The Cottage lacks any depth of character development, and the author has fallen into a pattern in her more recent works of stating the same character trait many times throughout the book, simply in different ways. As one who has always purchased the newest Danielle Steel novel as soon as it came out, I believe that I have just purchased my last. There are other newer, less popular authors writing books just as good as Danielle Steel's earlier ones who deserve receiving my book budget quite a bit more.
on April 17, 2002
Couldn't stand the character of Cooper Winslow, but more irritating is Ms. Steel's constant repetion of the same adjectives about each character. It's like she's telling us something new about a character that she has already repeated 10 times before on previous pages. Her books are usually predictable and I haven't read the last 2 or 3, but happened to get this one at the library for a "free" read. Die-hard fans of Steel will be happy with it, but if this is someone's first time with one of her books, please don't pick this one....try one of the first 9 or 10.
on May 5, 2003
I thought this book could have better. It was a good book but, I thought that some of the events that happend were a bit too much. It is a bit unreal for a man whose wife just died to fall desperatly in love with in less than a year. The whole child thing was not my favorite section of the book. Yes, I understand that a child and a parent may have a bond, but when you have not seen this child in over 20 years you can not be close right of the bat. This book could have been better.
on June 25, 2002
This was the first Danielle Steel book I've ever read. People have told me to try out other Danielle Steel books because this one might not of been for me. I don't even know if I could bring myself to pick up another one of her books. I could barely get through it. It moved sop slowly, and it wasn't very interesting. I did appreciate Danielle Steel's style of writing, but it bored me to no end.
on December 8, 2002
For me, I didn't care for this one very much. It seemed to lack some of the talent I've seen in her other novels.